Is it a fashion no-no to wear jeans/pants with flip-flops/sandals?

Jeans/pants with flip-flops/sandals seems to be somewhat of a “controversial” clothing combination. It’s fairly common here in California, but a lot of people seem to think it looks awkward. So what do you think? Is it acceptable to wear jeans/pants with flip-flops/sandals, or is this a fashion no-no?

• It’s acceptable to wear jeans/pants with flip-flops/sandals
  • It’s a fashion no-no to wear jeans/pants with flip-flops/sandals

Most Helpful Girl

• You could pull it off, just wear looser jeans or distressed jeans that make the look more casual to match your shoe type. And the shirt ought to be at least semi-casual as well. The look is totally fine, though.

• imagizer.imageshack.us/.../3blh.jpg

That's a link to a picture of me wearing jeans and flip-flops. Do you think I do a good job of pulling off the look? The jeans are relaxed fit (loose).

• Ignore that last sentence of my last comment, I meant to delete that.

• Yeah that sounds good. I wouldn't worry about worrying too much of being "socially acceptable" in what you're wearing. There are many more "out-there" looks that people flaunt and are seen as fashion icons in our society. I think your more casual idea of jeans and flip-flops is fine and accepted especially in Cali.

You're welcome, glad my input could soothe your doubts about the look! Rock whatcha got and whatever you want!

What Girls Said 4

• Well, if it's a fashion faux pas, then I'm totally guilty. Here's the thing- I hate wearing socks or shoes of any kind and since it's cold enough to require them at least 6 months of the year where I live, I totally embrace bare feet and sandals as soon as I can for as long as I can (usually from mid-April to late Sept/early Oct). However, it can still get chilly on summer nights, so I'll change into jeans but still rock the sandals. And while it might be warm enough to still wear my sandals on a warm October day, it's unlikely to be warm enough to be wearing shorts.

I don't think it looks awkward... But then, we joke around here that it's one of the places in the world where you switch from toque to shorts and a t-shirt and back again all in one day...

• Sometimes it can look nice... depends on the jeans and the flip flops. Only skinny jeans and only on women does it work... On men - looks cheap.

• dude jeans/pants and flip flops are great and very comfortable to wear

• It totally happens here in SoCal, but I still think it looks kinda awkward, more so one guys. It wouldn't put me off per say, but there are better looks I appreciate more.

What Guys Said 2

• Fashion rules are meant to be broken. However, in order to break the rules and be stylish at the same time, you need to know the rules. You shouldn't be breaking more than one rule at any given time. However, if you are on point with your style, you can make a fashion statement by purposely breaking a rule to your liking. It shows personality. If you are careful, even if you are breaking a style rule, it shows style. Like I said before, don't break more than one rule at once.

In order to get to know the "rules", I suggest reading Glenn O'Brien's "How to Be a Man." It is not really about how to be a man. It is very funny, gives social commentary, and most importantly teaches men about style. Also, you can read magazines like GQ, Details, Esquire, and more. GQ is the best magazine that I mentioned by far. Start off with that. Especially pay attention to, and study, the bi-annual "What to Wear Now" editions.

The "rule" with flip-flops and sandals is, unless you are actually going to the beach or to a pool, or going outside first thing in the morning to pick up the newspaper, gentlemen don't ever wear flip-flops or sandals. But by all means, do your thing. If you are wearing basics, like slim cut jeans with a t-shirt, or shorts and a t-shirt, go ahead and wear flip-flops or sandals. Just don't wear them with chinos.

But this is America. Honestly, do whatever you want to do. But I think that my advice might help.

• you can pull that off at the beach here in SoCal.