I've always wondered; How are women nearly as thin as a stick considered attractive by all of the mainstream media?

I mean I know that there's a saying "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but still. I've known more than a ton of men (not that they speak for every men or anything) who prefer thicker women (Not fat but voluptuous shaped and thicker than average). Sure, we have Beyonce but even then, Beyonce isn't really that thick as people make her out to be to begin with. I'm not trying to knock on Beyonce or anything and she is indeed beautiful but I've seen plenty of other beautiful women who are thicker than Beyonce,

Most Helpful Girl

• Beyonce is definitely thick. At least thicker than her pop peers. Do you see those hips and thighs? And this girl still manages to keep a thigh gap. Something she's had for years by the way and because of genetics (I don't know why people are saying she's following some trend and copying white girls ew) Her legs are also fantastic. She is what slim girls should aim to look like in my opinion. I don't know who else you had in mind, but she probably weighs more than Beyonce and still isn't as curvy. Beyonce is slim but still gives off that curvy look because she's hippy. Although Beyonce has been thicker in the past, and she was still sexy.
    constanceloser09.files.wordpress.com/.../...ni.jpg

What Girls Said 8

• Because those women can wear every piece of clothing and make it all about the clothes (money... of course...), and that sells. Women that are noticed prior to the brands they wear are really not that in... because there's no money to be made off of that.
    it's all a scheme... o. O

• If you're like me, I have a really fast metabolism and don't gain weight very fast.. but I can't help it

• curves are nice... but the media is know to brainwash people and cause insecurity issues

• The media push ridiculous ideals because they need to sell women things, and that's done by making them feel insecure and inadequate.

• Being thin is easier than being thick, but not fat. Most people have a hard time fitting the curvy ideal-hourglass, round and firm bum with big yet perky breasts (great genetics AND diet plan) as much or more than super thin (just don't eat much).

• I'm pretty toned, thin and my frame is small but I still have a figure 8 and am a D cup in the bust, my Bf loves it. No skinny bashing please.

• I ask, "why don't people just go after what they prefer/want and ignore the media?" They shouldn't have that much influence in the first place. I know they do though and it's unfortunate.

• The history of it is pretty fascinating and all, and the stick thin body type was a trend propelled by Kate Moss in the 90s. As she once said "nothing tastes as good as feeling skinny" (I know, great role model). And the reality is: trends sell, and being a size zero has been trending for the last few years. Even Kate Upton is considered "plus size"... honestly, there's no other reason for that body type to be plastered all over the media other than people keep buying into it and perpetuating the madness. (I'm a size 2 and my guy friends say I'm "curvy" and that "It's okay to have some meat on me")

• Started earlier than Kate Moss, I remember the heroin chic of the early nineties, then before that there was Twiggy in the sixties... and of course many in between.

• Most definitely, this has been around for a while. It wasn't just Kate Moss, but I think she spurred a lot of the media craze - and the media craze just continued and continued after that. You're not wrong though.

• Lol you've just upped my body confidence a few points

What Guys Said 5

• Mainstream media relies on feeding you facts. You can feed someone specifics through mass media, but you can't feed them broad generalizations on how there is no perfect figure, only perfect figures. People want the best, not simply what's best for them. They want other people to see that they have the best.

• A lot of men likely find thinner women than you attractive.

Not runway model thin - they're not actually supposed to look hot, they're supposed to be 'hangers for the clothes'. But victoria-secret model thin.

• "A lot of men likely find thinner women than you attractive." Uh.. I'm not a woman so I really don't care about that part one bit, lol.

• I meant 'thinner women than your preference' :p

• Ooooh okay. You just made a typo, It's all good though. Mistakes happen.

• Same reason why Justin Bieber is popular.

Exposure.

• I love skinny women

• Damn good question. I think its very unattractive even more than being over weight.