What do you think of this article?

gma.yahoo.com/...0415966--abc-news-topstories.html

Basically, this girl, Miranda Larkin, a new resident of a town in FL, moved from Seattle. She wore this outfit to her new school, and was stopped because of her skirt by a teacher. The rule of the school is that it has to be at least to the knee. The skirt clearly isn't. She claimed she didn't know about the rule (but we never know, since she only claims it). Her mother was outraged by the fact that they then "bullied" her in to wearing the "school dress code violation outfit". Which consists of swetpants (which in my opinion, is even more of a dress code violation). Sweats SHOULD NOT be worn in public

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with the mother. There is nothing wrong with having a school dress code, dress codes should be enfaced and violators should be punished. However, I disagree with forcing a child to wear a "shame suit" around school because of that. They should have just called someone to bring the girl a different outfit to wear and then sent her back to class.

Most teachers will say that dress codes are in place to limit distractions in class. Therefore, giving a student a "shame outfit" to wear that consists of red sweatpants and an oversized yellow T-shirt with "Dress Code Violator" bolded on the front, is only furthering the distraction issue. Especially if this was only the first time she violated the dress code, at least give her a warning, there's no reason to embarrass and shame her.

What Girls Said 6

• Dress code is dress code. She wasn't following the dress code, so I think it's fair that they somehow wanted to "punish" her for it. However, dressing her in bright and ugly clothes was NOT the way to go about it in my opinion. As many people have already said, the point of most dress codes is to create less distractions for other students. But that "shame suit" is a big distraction in itself, which kind of makes the whole thing completely pointless, since it defeats the point of the whole dress code in the first place. Plus, I don't agree with the shaming tactic. I think it's wrong. It's just another form of bullying. Why didn't they just give her detention, and then hand her some more neutral clothes to wear, like a plain white t-shirt and some black pants? That would have been a much more subtle way to go about it. Now they just created a big scene out of the entire thing, and managed to get some bad publicity at the same time.

• They created a big scene about it. Do you think it wouldn't have been a scene, if the news reporters didn't report about it?

• @lumos Her skirt was less than an inch above the knees. That is no reason for punishment. In fact, most schools let that slide since it's barely above the knees. This school is full of bullshit.

• I think the school has a right to tell her she can't wear that skirt however what they did to punish her, was unacceptable

• Would be better if they had everyone wear the same uniform

• What the... that's not even a short skirt. If you call that short then miniskirts will be called what extra short skirt. That skirt is absolutely fine. Girls in my school wear skirts of that length and nothing happens to us. And 'Shame suit' which the girl had to wear is extremely nonsensical.

• Wth it's not even that short... Girls wear mini skirts in my school and nothing happens to them..

• Maybe because noone wants to report them

• Like it said, some schools just have guidelines. The teacher saw it, and decided to report her

• This school is full of bullshit.

• ... reasoning being?

• Who are we to say that she was trying to draw attention to herself with her outfit? There was nothing attention grabbing about it. It was a regular outfit that ost girls would wear to school if given the option.

• Because it draws attention

• at my school we got sent home if we didn't wear black socks so i dont think anything is as stupid as that

• I really honestly wouldn't have cared if she wore that skirt. I'm a guy. It's what I like but the fact that they made her do that, I just think is a little much

• yh i wouldn't even stay at that school

What Guys Said 7

• Something is suspicious about this story. I will explain:

First off, if the story took place exactly as described then it is absolutely horrible administration at that school and they should be removed immediately. I say this because I went to the school site which clearly states the three option policy.

HOWEVER

Looking deeper into the story I noticed a few things which raised my suspicion.
    1) She was caught after "first period." Some of you who are in HS or have more recently been in HS could nail this down better but I assume that ends at/or around 9-930 AM. My point is that if a school day goes from 8-4 she had the rest of the day to conform to school policy in terms of getting a new set of clothing.

2) Due to this (#1) I speculate (though logically) that this student either didn't want to be suspended and did not have a different choice of clothing on hand (likely her Mother was at work and thus she had no way of getting a new set either). From here she was simply "stuck" with choosing the option to wear the school outfit provided as was likely outlined to the parent upon transfer.

3) I went to the school website and it clearly states both the dress code & the violation choices so this is not some random and out of the blue (ie: last minute to embarrass) issue. Point being, I speculate the Mother was well aware of this issue before hand.

Let me say that I don't feel, in any manner, that her initial clothing set was bad in any manner. However, rules are rules and if a school district made exception for just one student, it opens the door to lawsuit and many other issues. Considering all these things, I believe the school was well within their right in this case IF they did give her the option to grab another set of clothing.

I think what we are seeing right now is a parent (Mother) who doesn't want to accept responsibility for not telling her kid the rule list she was given, doesn't want to be seen as a bad mother, and is shifting blame.

• You are right in different ways but remember she is new, and never knew about that policy they didn't have to be so harsh they could have at least understood that its her first day and she didn't know about the policy

• @Canadianarabb One last thing. I am, in no manner, debating this with you or trying to derail your position as I do see the point you are making. I have, in the past, ferociously attacked ridiculous comments and bonked trolls or ignorant people so I don't want you to think my response has anything, at all, to do with me thinking that in this case.

Point being, your point is lucid and valid but until we know more facts, we both are in speculation mode in a he said/she said scenario. Thank you for your comment, none the less.

• Don't worry I'm not taking this the wrong way I respect that you're expressing your opinion I actually enjoyed reading it. I'm a person with a perspective and so are you we won't agree on everything that just makes us human.

• She broke the dress code, they punished her for it. It's really not some insane bullying junk that word is abused too much these days.

If they truly only gave her the sweats option then they screwed up but if she didn't pay attention to when they told her the other 2 or if they did tell her and she claims they didn't then that's on her. Although if it was up to me I'd have placed the options as 1. contact the mom and have another outfit sent that way or be picked up by the mom and change and come back and have a detention on top of it or 2. change into a plain gray shirt and blue sweats and pick up your original outfit at the end of the day. If she's stubborn and chooses neither then suspended for the day and have to make it up with 2 Saturday in school suspensions.

• I just find it hard to believe that she didn't know about the rule. I mean, you're supposed to read the rules. If she didn't, that's her fault

• That's what can happen to children sent to private schools (with a strict dress code) That Fla mom picked that school. She's hypocrite by protesting now.

a.abcnews.com/.../...de_Violation_EM_16x9t_384.jpg

• the point is that any school that enforces flesh-based school codes is presuming that boys will be turned and thereby distracted by it. This sexism at its best and frankly i've always wondered why someone hasn't come along and sued these schools out of existence.

• But that's just it. We DO get turned on by seeing more skin, right?

• -They're private
      -Parents sign & accept the school conditions. Most parents there choose those schools BECAUSE they're harsh, sexist and conservative.

• @jacquesvol public schools do the same, only with slightly more implied contract between parent and school. I've worked public, i know what i'm talking about. In public i pay for their services through taxation. They are my employees, i am the boss. i would open them up to be penalized criminally and civilly until they abandoned this collective voyeurism.

• What next, a Scarlet Letter?

• Am i right that American schools dont really have a school uniform? in england every pupil has to wear the same and australia i believe

• Yes, pretty sure Australians wear uniforms also.

"i think that a parent being lets say undermining in front of a student is completely wrong"

I see it the other way around. I think a school undermining the parent is completely wrong. The parent is showing the daughter to stand up for what she believes. That's a good thing not a bad thing.

• I agree dan, and all for helping kids be confident, but adult to adult should be done in a setting where neither party could lose respect i feel

• They made her wear sweatpants? In PUBLIC? Someone call the fashion police! LMAO

• I just don't think people should wear sweats in public, idiot. Can't you just answer the question at hand

• What I mean is that parents aren't disciplining their children's bad behavior anymore, and neither are teachers.

• They could have gone about it in a better way. I think what they did (shaming her) was unacceptable. Isn't there that thing out now about slut shaming. Is that acceptable?