Why do people consider a crop top slutty, but cute if a pregnant woman wears one?

My best friend has an amazing body and likes crop tops, nothing too short; just a little above the naval at most. She has gotten dirty looks, called a slut, etc but she doesn't not behave like one. I have worn a crop top and all I got were dirty looks mainly. I read everywhere how it to slutty and looks trampy to wear them.

Now, whenever I see a pregnant woman showing her belly in one it's automatically "beautiful" or I hear people say "awwww". I have read fashion blogs condemning those who wear them, then praising pregnant women for being proud of their bodies. I don't really get it.

Isn't a belly a belly? Why would an article of clothing be trashy on one woman (if worn in good taste) yet "beautiful" and "adorable" on a pregnant woman? Can pregnant women NOT be trashy? Sex led to that baby in there (and I'm not calling that trashy but) wouldn't you associate that with trashiness instead of a girl who just wants to wear something styling and probably hot from the heat?

I'm not judgmental and don't mind who wears them, I have just noticed that most thinner women get dirty looks while pregnant women (it happens with plus size too) get told to "rock it!" and "you look beautiful mamas", etc. I'm one of those people who thinks you should wear whatever you want as long as it is appropriate for the setting you are in.

Opinions?

0|0
6|4

Most Helpful Girl

• Is this an anon fest? Everyone who commented did anonymously lol
    But I completely agree. If pregnant, post partum, or even plus size women wear "revealing" or sexy clothing, everyone thinks it's empowering, it's beautiful, they must have such high self esteem or self confidence. Yet if a thin woman wears revealing or sexy clothing, she becomes the opposite. She's weak, she's slutty, she must have low self esteem or confidence "to not respect her body by trying to cover it." Different standards.
    A big woman in a revealing dress is "fighting society's beauty standards", but a petite woman in a revealing dress is "conforming to society's beauty standards". A pregnant woman or post partum woman wearing a bikini is "empowering, radiating confidence, beauty." But a petite woman wearing a bikini is "weak, must be self conscious, attention seeking, trying too hard to be sexy, etc."
    It's just that pregnant woman and plus size women are usually told that they are less because of their size. But petite and thin women, we aren't told that, in fact, our bodies/size are always embraced or idolized.
    I still think it's bullshit, I don't care if a 90 lb or a 200 lb woman wears a crop top, as long as they like it. Although I can see why there are different standards for different people, I still think we shouldn't vilify others while we praise others. I do notice that people slap the "slut" label on anything they consider negative about a girl, how she dresses, who she dates, how she acts, who her friends are, she doesn't even have to be promiscuous or actually a "slut". If it's negative (not even having to do with sex) and she's a female, she's a slut by some people's definitions.
    But who cares what others think? Rock that crop top with pride :)

2|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Because too many people like to judge these days. I don't judge. Wear whatever you want.

3|0
    0|0
  • It's nasty when pregnant women wear those kinds of shirts in my opinion. I don't want to see their bare belly bulging out at me.

2|0
    1|0
  • Who says crop tops are slutty? Who says they're OK on pregnant women. What demographics are you getting these opinions from? And what is the behavior of these demographics when wearing such a thing?

0|0
    1|0
    • Most women have heard it before. Mainly in western, warmer climate countries.

• Interesting...

• They aren't gonna call the pregnant woman a slut

0|0
    1|0
    • Some people do.

• Show All
    • Well to just say it to a random pregnant lady would be bad. If she's a bitch by then all means call the pregnant lady a fat slut lol

• Yeah, I can't stand when people call total strangers names for no reason whatsoever.

What Girls Said 5

• Because people are idiots. Behavior, dress, nor anything else can make someone a "slut" or less of a person. People need to get a grip.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you! I agree 100%.

• Pregnant women wear crop tops? With tank tops under right?

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes,
    Thank you for speaking

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people need to mind their own business.

2|0
    1|0
  • Yes I noticed that too.
    I don't think pregnant women look good in it and when a plus size girl wears something she seems to get "rock it" or "you are so brave compliments

2|0
    0|0
    • I'm glad someone else noticed it! I wish everyone could just be treated equally fashion wise