What do you think about parents who let their young daughters compete in beauty pageants?

Personally, I think that parents who let their pre-teen daughters walk on a stage in skimpy outfits to be judged by a panel of adults for their sex appeal are f***ed in the head. Your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I completly agree.

Honestly this makes me sick,i have seen quite a few documentaries about it and I find I think its disgusting.

Children these days,in the society we live in,have to grow up too fast,they don't get to be kids.

Im only 25 but when I look at most kids now and what they are into and I compare it to when I was that age I can't quite get my head around it-does that mean I'm getting old? lol.

Seriously though,i cannot understand the whole concept of making up a child to look like a woman-high heels,layers of make-up,their hair all done up sophisticated...walk with a little wiggle and big,tooth sparkleing smiles...you are taking a child and trying to sexulise them,and I just don't get it.

I dread to think what these childrens self esteem is like when they grow up,and their self value...i mean they should be playing with dolls and making mud-pies not learning about fake eyelashes and fake tan.

From what I've seen it is mostly the mothers which push their daughters into this,and I can only assume that its because the mothers themselves have self esteem issues and are somehow trying to live through their daughters,they must get some sort of buzz out of it,but to me its not normal,and those mothers who dress their daughters up like miniture dolls should be ashamed of themselves.

Kids should be allowed to be kids for as long as possible,its hard enough being a grown-up and having to worry about body image and appearence,let them enjoy being free from all that as long as possible and stop being so damn selfish is what I say.

Cha,and what about the judges,whats going on in their heads?

And yes,that was a rant because it makes me very cross.Its disturbing ;o/

What Girls Said 4

• It's not even the pre-teens that scare me, it's the little girls. I remember watching a documentary with a bunch of girls who were about 6 years old, and it was crazy. One of them wanted nothing more than to sprout boobs; she kept complaining about how nothing fit her right because her chest was flat--duh, you're a kid! She was in such a rush to grow up (which her mother encouraged). Those girls were taught to focus on their looks, which I think is really sad.

• I agree,that's so sad.Thos parents must want their kids to realize their own empty f*** up dreams..Really,soooo sad!

• I don't agree with it, I mean why would someone want to make their babies look like adult women?

• Well.some parents are just mentaly not ready or not able to be a good parent.

• Agreed, I believe that some parents should not even be allowed to have children, the things I have seen...

• Oh it's all f***ed up. Not a good idea to make little girls compete in something so shallow.

• I'm by no means FOR it. However, if the daughter enjoys it and isn't being forced to do it, then I think it's acceptable. And a lot of the times appropriateness of outfit/"does she still look like a kid" are factors taken into account when judging. Plus they are judged on other things such as their talent and their public speaking, not just their 'sex appeal'. But like I said, when parents MAKE their children do these pageants, they are indeed 'f***ed in the head'.

What Guys Said 2

• Pageants like you describe are a little sick to me.

I think that it's motivated mostly by mothers who want to experience a vicarious thrill.

• I disagree with the practice, as it is duh, asking for trouble.