Is dressing "indie" a turn on or turn off?

It seems like guys, at least in my area, like girls who dress in average clothes, like from Hollister, Abercrombie, etc. Not JUST that type, but that seems to be the girls they like most, if they wear boring (IMO) and tight/revealing clothes. I, on the other hand, have what others would call an indie style - and I look kind of different from most girls I know.

But do guys (or, you at least) find girls who dress kind of indie a turn on or turn off? Like, wearing skinny jeans, loose shirts and cardigans, shorter gladiator sandals, high waisted skirts, and lots of accessories are things I usually wear. Not anything that guys on this site really find appealing, it seems. An example would be:

chictopia.com

weardrobe.com

lookbook.nu

urbanoutfitters.com

Do you like clothes from these sites or not?

Whenever I wear clothes like that it seems guys don't really look at me, and it's a bit different from everyone else in my school, so I might get some weird looks. I also listen to different music from most other people I know.

So would you think that someone who dresses differently from most of the other girls is weird? Or what...?

(And don't just say "It's a matter of preference" - duh. Just say what YOU personally think.)

Also - do you think bangs across the forehead look good on most girls? I have a heart shaped/oval face if that helps. I'm just getting them so I'm wondering! :)

• Turn on
  • Turn off
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with what May1987 said--having your own style is a good thing, and you shouldn't change who you are for other people's sake.

According to other people, I'm "indie", and I think that appeals to indie guys, but it's not like they're the only guys who ever show interest in me. It's your personality that wins people over. Anyone who doesn't even take the time to get to know you just because you have a different style than them isn't really worth your time.

What Guys Said 4

• Dress however you want as long as it won't get you thrown out of someplace or locked up in a mental institution. Worst case scenario is you weed out incompatible mates. For me tho I'd say it's a turnoff.

• What kind of guys do these boring clothed women get? Is it the kind of guys you want?

I think you will attract lots of indie guys if you can dress feminine. Note the word feminine, that's very important IMO.

If you are not too picky with I think your best bet is to dress mainstream (boring) and sexy/revealing. Then you will get a lot of attention from mainstream guys without style (witch seems to be most guys).

• I think that a lot of girls with that type of fashion usually go for guys with the same sense of style. Because of this I personally wouldn't approach a girl who wears these types of clothes but that doesn't mean I wouldn't find her attractive, since many are.

• Clothes only enhance the girl. Where something that you think makes you look good, and should guys notice your clothes and like them, then that's one thing that you two have in common.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think it's a turn off or turn on; having your own style is always the way to go, so who cares what anyone else thinks? Never change yourself just to get someone's attention. People who are worth your time will like you for who you are. And of course most guys your age (at any age, actually) would be drawn to girls who wear revealing clothes; that's natural. But is that how you want to attract guys? Personally, I think getting a guy hooked on your personality, sense of humor, and intelligence is much better.

Bangs look good on most girls, imo. They instantly give a girl's face a dash of innocence and prettiness. Go for it.

• i love indie style and music, indie means independant and unique I think. if guys don't think you look attractive in those clothes that probably just means they judge people before getting to know them. Anyway there are a lot of indie guys mostly in music festivals like T4 on the beach or other ones you may know.=]

hope that helped ^_^