Why do people all of a sudden want to be hipsters?

lately way too many people who are not hipsters have been self-identifying as hipsters when they are not but it seems being hipster is cool now a days which i do not understand because i like many other people just find them annoying for two reasons
1) they avoid mainstream things but ironically they have become mainstream themselves and look like an exact replica of one another
2) the hipster attitude is so annoying "dude i totally listened to that band 5 years ago before it was even on the radio" who gives a flying fuck if that's all that you identify with is knowing of things before others then that is a pitiful identity to cling to and it doesn't make you better than anyone else that you listened to some mediocre indie band before it was on the radio.

Most Helpful Guy

• Humans are bland, boring, tasteless, fruitless, and endless. That's why.

What Girls Said 2

• Just be yourself and fuck everyone else (can be interpreted in more than one way) :D Oh, but I hate when I did listen to a band when they were local and they get big, change their style and then everyone likes them. It's big slap in the face to fans... I don't care what anyone says, they are in it just for the money. Bastards... But, I guess they do have to make a living. It's nice to show their new fans their old stuff. It turns into music appreciation sessions.

• I think almost anything beccomes popular in some sense when enough people know about it/react to it in some way. Just about everyone dislikes hipsters >>> people are talking about hipsters >>> hipsters are an identity to ironically make fun of/adopt. I have no idea how meta/how many puns were in that last sentence but yeah.

What Guys Said 2

• Hating hipsters is so mainstream

• What's it to you? Why are you so concerned with following the crowd? Do your own thing, skip the labels, and live.

• I'm sorry you must be retarded or just don't know how to read but i wasn't asking to be a part of the hipster movement but to know why such a stupid trend is considered cool when just a couple years ago it was considered a bunch of annoying idiots

• no you gave me something so cliche i could have read it on top of a picture of some white girl doing a duck face while holding Starbucks coffee how is that genius you pretentious prick?

• Get get lost ass sniffer.