Why is it that ear piercings are mainstream, but facial piercings aren't?

Having a pair of ear piercings is standard for girls. But facial piercings are deemed unconventional and rebellious. Why is that? Either way, there's jewelry in your skin.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's the whole stigma that's attached to tattoos and piercings. They are generally associated with anarchic personalities. Like drugged binging rock stars, gang members, he'll raisers etc. I think now days people are a bit more receptive to them.

What Guys Said 5

• Its the audacity of it. To put a symbol of social non-conformity on the most public part of our bodies, our face, is the biggest way to make a statement. By having a piercing on the most public part of your body is essentially you screaming to the world your views. In other words, there is little nuance had when one wears such a ostentatious body modification.

• But what I'm asking is, why are facial piercings even considered a symbol of social non-conformity? Ear piercings involve having jewelry stuck into a public part of your body the same way facial piercings do. Yet if I have a simple silver stud in each ear no one will take a second glance, whereas if I were to get one in my eyebrow or nose people would take that as a sign of non-conformity. Why?

• do you live in the 60s and are consindered "rebelious"?

• Its coz ear piercings are cute and facial piercings are awful. No other explanation. If u still want to get them, get them, its your choice.

• Because facial piercings are ugly as Hell, where as standard ear piercings look great and feminine.

• Standard? My girlfriend doesn't even have her ears pierced, much less any other body part.

• The great majority of girls in the USA have ear piercings, and the ones that don't usually wear clip-on earrings. Earrings are an extremely common, mainstream type of piercing that many people even get as babies or little kids (myself included).

What Girls Said 0