Your honest opinion of girls dressing up in retail?

I had a debate with someone in regards to being dressy at work. I admit I am the dressy type and that's my style. I take a tad bit longer than others to get my hair/ make up done / and outfit picked out before work and I am also a bit picky. I don't really care about what people say about us retail people being dressy because I like to look good.

What do you think of girls who take the time to dress up and look nice for work? Is it unnecessary? or is it mandatory because you wouldn't buy something from someone who looks too casual? or ? thanks for you opinion. it's a pretty straight forward question

Most Helpful Guy

• i think its good for the extra step

because my friend who works at MW has a new co-worker who started a couple weeks ago when he told me and she is hot and she gets the most sales out of everyone else there

and I know there are other possibilities then she's hot

What Guys Said 5

• I think that if a salesperson is overdressed or too well-dressed it makes them seem less like a human being and more like a salesperson, and I would be less likely to buy from them as a result.

• I don't think it matters. Dress whatever way you want, so long as it's reasonable, and within your store's policy.

I'm sure you look respectful and nice when you dress, and that's what most people like when they talk to a salesperson.

• I think that the better the person dresses sends a strong representation on how they feel about themselves. The nicer, the better. It shows confidence and pride, so really, there isn't a thing wrong with it. I do the same thing because it keeps my confidence up, and makes me feel good.

• It makes your coworkers take you seriously

• Well, on the one hand, dressing fine makes a big big difference. But if it takes you four hours to take care of vanity issues, that... that actually is also cool. I means you still have twenty hours left for everything else. So it's win win.

What Girls Said 4

• i cannot stress enough that the image of the store and its staff is very important. it draws customers in seeing that their staff knows how to dress well and groom themselves properly. this is especially true for fashion retail stores.

but for other types of retail stores..be it supermarkets, or electronic stores, etc., it wouldn't harm anyone to be dressy. if and when you walk into a retail store and the employees look like they didn't care about their appearance, the level of professionalism just drops. but of course, dress well but dress appropriately suited to the job.

• Theres a difference though between not caring about your appearance and overdressing. one makes you look good, the other just makes you look like you're trying to squeeze a sale out of them.

• And that is why I said.."dress well but dress appropriately".

• looking good and neat is never wrong, but on the other hand if my salesperson is dressed badly it would make me way more hesitant to trust in her opinions particularly if she works in a clothing store or something of the sort. I don't think it is unnecessary for girls to dress up for retail work, afterall no matter what type of work it is, you interact with a lot of customers and it's important that you make them feel at ease. but I would buy something I like from someone who looks too casual if there is no other choice, because I want it and it's not like how the sales look would even effect the item itself. however if its the same item and there's two places that sells it , I would definitely pick the store with the salesperson I like better. just last week I was shopping for luggage, and after picking one I want, the salesperson was talking to me about its functions and stuff. she was ugly naggy, and I didn't like her. I ended up buying the same item from another store, for exactly the same price. this goes to show how much appearance and charisma matters (:

• I like it when I can admire the style of the chick selling to me. I'd feel more inspired by her style to pick out more stuff, to be honest.

• dress up for yourself =D who cares what others think