Why do women wear makeup? Is it because you're insecure? Or you feel like you're obligated to do so? Or maybe you're expressing yourself?

From the vast amount of female friends I have and women in public. I've started to notice that some women wear a heavy amount of makeup, some others wear light amount, and there is those who don't wear makeup. From my point of view it seems like an addiction to some Hobby for others and a requirement or feel of requirement for some. and lastly it's effects on your skin. Does it feel like a mask you can't breath? Damage to the skin? Or protection.

Most Helpful Girl

• Make-up has never felt like a mask or like I'm hiding my "true self" as all! In fact I avoided wearing make-up until I reached 20, because I thought that it was an unnecessary disgusting mask that all the gossiping mean girls at school wore to make them feel better about themselves. But when I finally decided to try it, I found out that that's not the case and it's ok and good to wear it!

Anyway, I enjoy wearing make-up because I find it fun to wear - it's like trying on a new dress, reading a new book or playing a new game for me. And it enhances my natural beauty, so I feel gorgeous when I go out. But that doesn't mean I need it to function, I never wear make-up when I'm at home and there are plenty of times where I go out without any on. I personally think wearing only a light amount is best, heavier looking make-up tends to look cheap and tarty in my opinion, especially when it isn't put on properly. Also I've noticed that I get way way wayyy more attention from guys when I do wear make-up. Personally I think most guys think that most women they find attractive don't wear make-up, when in fact they do - they just put the right amount on to make them look even more attractive.

As for damage to the skin - some foundation actually does act as a sun-cream too! But as long as you was it off at night before going to bed, your skin should be fine.

What Girls Said 41

• the only reason a women should wear makeup should be to enhance her natural beauty... SOME might wear it to hide their insecurity.. and because of the media some can't go out without makeup... for some its an art... a way to express their creativity... and some just don't know how to wear it and have a cakey look

• i like to wear it because it makes me more confident and it's a way to be artistic and... well... i'm kind of used to it lol. i only wear make up if i go out, at home, i never wear it. and my whole routine takes less than 5 minutes so it isn't a huge deal. i do wish i wore it less... but now i feel like i'm forgetting something if i don't do it. it's really become a habit.

• I don't bother. Never was very good at wearing it anyway - vague idea what the difference is between foundation and concealer and see no reason to wear both, for instance.
    Also, mascara really hurts when it gets in your eyes.
    And all those chemicals on your skin don't seem like a great idea.

• I wear makeup just cause I like too, when I was younger I didn't wear makeup and my friend put some foundation on me for the first time, and I felt like I was caked in mud :/ it was gross, but I suppose I've gotten used to it now, and I don't wear such full coverage, just light makeup. I started wearing it to begin with when I started working cause it made me look more professional.

• I look better with it & certain types/techniques can enhance your features. I also have some flaws (marks, acne, etc.) that I like to hide.

• I wear make up because it boosts up your mood, gives u more confidence, in general it enhances the woman's beauty! Its art, and I simply enjoy doing my make up

• I only wear eyeliner and mascara. I do it because it makes me feel pretty, not for anyone else, or for any other reason.

• Makeup is part of a professional look. If a woman has a job or volunteers she has to wear make up to look part of that business community...

Also, just makes me feel a bit fresher and cuter. xD

Not a tone of makeup... just the essentials.

• I love wearing make up, I relax when I start with my beauty routine. I don't have any problem to wear it or not, but I feel that I look better when I wear it. In fact, make up is used as a skin protector, because it forms a film that avoid UV light touches directly my skin, obviously it's not the same wearing ponds that Chanel.

• Personally I struggle from acne prone skin so I use make up to hide all my blemishes and scarring but it never looks cakey. People have actually asked me if I'm even wearing make up. I feel people look at me disgusted without make up and people constantly bring up "I have this really good product that will clear your skin!" I honestly don't like wearing much make up but I feel like I have to so people won't look at me as if I'm some zombie

• I am definitely an insecure person... But that is not why I wear makeup. Girls don't do it for guys or because they feel obligated.. For many girls it is their identity (without it they dont feel like themselves). For me personally, I get to emphasize the features of my face and it makes me feel confident and happy. Maybe you think some girls wear too heavy eye makeup, but if that's what makes them feel good about themselves.. Who are we to judge? I personally don't go out without makeup, it is an extension of who I am, and without it I do not feel myself. Why should I get upset about my flaws, when I can feel confident about emphasising my natural beauty instead?

• There's a lot of different reasons women wear make up. The number one reason would probably be because it's fun. There's a lot of tricks and things that women can do to enhance how they look. Some women may feel more confident with make up.

It doesn't feel like a mask, we can breathe!

Doesn't damage the skin unless it's not taken off correctly. It can damage the skin underneath your eyes.

A lot of moisturizers, BB cream, CC cream, and liquid foundation have sunscreen to protect from UV!

• I don't need to use foundation tbh but when i do wear it, it feels super gross and heavy.
    BUT I love eye makeup and wear that much more often. Not everyday, but I'm pretty good at eyeshadow (years of experimenting and practice) and it's just fun to put on. There's so many ways to do it!
    For the most part, make up for me is fun and I feel prettier with it on. (Except foundation that shit is awful)

• I used to wear make up daily, I felt extremely insecure going out in public without a full face of it. But now I'm more confident (and care a little less) so I only wear it when I get dressed up, or if I'm having a bad skin day. That being said, I am SO much more confident when I wear make up and really enjoy applying it to myself and others.

• I wear make up because it makes me feel pretty. Even when I'm in the house all day I still put on make up just to feel more put together. I don't wear much just mascara and eyeliner but I feel like it makes my eyes pop.

• When I was younger I used to wear make up because I felt insecure. Now I go natural all the way, I feel the best this way. I wear makeup only for night outs and special occasions. :)

• For me it's to hide my under eye circles

• Girls wear makeup for different reasons. Some wear it because it makes them look better while some wear it to hide who they truly are. Makeup doesn't feel like a mask, you can breathe perfectly fine. It can damage you skin, but only if you don't wipe it off properly once you're done using it.

• I just love how I can change myself and what I can say with make up. I can be fresh and clean with a nude lip and a light shadow, or I can be sultry and seductive with a bold lip, arched brow and black smokey eye. Its all just fun for us I think.

• I wear makeup to cover discolouratin. And eyeliner so my eyes don't look busted in the morning.

• I love love love makeup! I've been doing it for myself and others for a while/imma makeup artist, its beautiful like painting a person not at all like a mask more like helping someone reach their full potential/ enhance their looks :)

• I put on CC cream for fun
    still dont like make up though

• niether of what you listed,.. we wear it to hide our damn flaws and to enhance our looks is all, after thats what makeup if for to hide flaws and to simply enhance the look,.. but some girls over do it and cake it on and look silly,.

• I never wear it

• For me, Women wear make up because it makes them feel good, pretty or self satisfied. I personally do not wear make up to school because i see no reason too. Also, for women who work in a buisness, they may feel more profesional.

• Because it makes us look better. I don't do it for others, I just like to enjoy what I see when I look in the mirror. You can't feel it when it's on you (at least not in the amounts I use).

• I wear make up whenever I want to look extra nice. I know that I don't need it and I'm beautiful with out, it just gives me a little more confidence. It also makes a statement depending on your outfit and where you are.

• Some girls are insecure and that's why. But I wear make up as a hygiene thing. (I have really red blotchy cheeks) I think it makes me look more presentable and happier.. just kinda pulls my look together.

• Maybe cause they think they're ugly without it? i really don't know because i never wear make up and I never will.

• make up is art!

• More from Girls
    11

What Guys Said 0