Why can't someone with good vision wear glasses as an accessory?

I've asked about this before, and usually about half the people in my conversation (the half that doesn't have perfect vision) get offended that I'd even consider wearing glasses as a casual accessory. What do the GAGers say?

Most Helpful Guy

• Why? because it's not an accessory? you think people with glasses wear them because they like glasses?
    No, it's a necesary evil. We're only getting em to look good because we don't want to make it worse.
    It's something we're stuck with, but doesn't want

Suggesting it as a fashion accessory is a direct insult because it implies it to be just that, while glasses in fact is something people with bad eyesight is stuck with if they want to see properly.

• I see. The fact is, even if only 1 in 100 people shared your feelings, I would still restrain myself from wearing glasses solely out of respect for people with your point of view.

I just thought I'd pose the question because I know I'm not the only one who's pondered it. Honestly, you guys look pretty cool with your glasses and I guess sometimes guys like me get so used to seeing people with glasses carrying on with the rest of us looking nice and sophisticated that we forget having imperfect eyesight is an actual burden that people live with.

I hope you know I meant no offense in my inquiry.

• I know you didn't mean any offence. I just constantly get the irge to punch hipsters XD
      Exactly, we wear it as a necessity to correct a burden, not as an accessory. We only make em look ok as to make them seem more natural. some manage it better than others

• Hahah, I hear you. Thanks!

What Girls Said 5

• No problem. Its fashion so i dont see why you can't use eyeglass as an accessory. My eyes are bad and I wear eyeglasses every single day.

• In my opinion, it makes no sense. I wear glasses and I hate it! So, why someone who doesn't need them would wear them as an accessory?

• Personally I find it extremely poser-ish and silly.

That's like wearing braces as accessory.

No, it's a necessary.

• I wear glasses as accessory.

What Guys Said 2

• I have "perfect vision", or at least good enough that I don't have to wear glasses. But whenever I try on one of my friend's pairs people seem to agree that I look pretty good in them. People who actually rely on glasses for good vision may have come to despise them for the reason that they essentially embody their deficiency and therefore serve to constantly remind them of said deficiency, which is a good explanation for why they might be so offended that someone would want to sport them as a fashion accessory.

• There's a part of me that says it can be a bit silly and... "hipsterish" but, overall I think it's fine (and cool for the right type of person)

I admit I want to wear them; Oddly, people assume I wear glasses. They imagine me wearing glasses. An old friend will ask where my glasses are if I haven't seen him in a while (and yes, they're disappointed because "I looked SO GOOD in them!" When I haven't worn glasses; I just embody the personality of the smart geek with the glasses, I guess. It's odd how much it becomes an issue with people suddenly noticing I don't wear glasses (That I don't wear); they're freaked out. It happens a lot.

I admit, though, I'd feel silly about buying them; like buying them non prescription would seem weird, though IT HAS to be more common than you'd think. I just feel embarrassed about trying to get them when I don't need them. Like getting a wheel chair when I can easily walk.

I see this as not much difference from girls wearing heels to look taller; and yet if guys do it, it's "ridiculous" and "fake." Girls don't think twice about extensions, wigs, false eye lashes, water bras - pushup bras, spanx, girdles, makeup, etc. Why can't guys do something to help them look better?

I'm an aspiring actor though, so I'm fascinated with stuff that people assume about someone based on looks. Drew Carrey supposedly had Lasik surgery done about a decade ago; and he wears his old glasses, because he found going without was bad for his 'character.' People were too used to "Drew Carrey wearing REAL glasses" and when he stopped, no one recognized him. So he started wearing glasses again. It had become HIM. He's stuck with them for a while.

I'd ay that if it makes you look good, fits your 'character', and makes you more confident (without being a crutch), then go right ahead. Don't worry about the haters.