What do we really mean when we say "I like your [clothing article / accessory]"?

I know for me, usually if I point out one thing that looks nice on someone, its because I think they look nice overall, but saying that would sound kind of odd and even inappropriate in some settings.

Conversely, I feel like whenever I get dressed up all spiffy, people will be more likely to complement my shirt, or my hair style, or my jacket rather than just saying "you look nice" as a general statement.

Am I the only one who has come to accept that we often complement a specific element of someone's getup as a sort of code for telling them they look good overall?

Most Helpful Girl

• I will not compliment something I don't like.. If I compliment a garment or anything at all, it's cause I like it! Even if you look like shit, if you are wearing a shirt with colors I like or the style I like, I will say "I like your shirt!" but like you said... usually people tend to notice those who are "over all" more presentable, rather than someone who looks less presentable. I however, look at details, irrelevant to the overall look.

What Girls Said 4

• If I like your outfit, then I like your outfit. I once complimented a guy I liked on his shirt color just looking nice on him. I didn't really mean it in a flirty way (haha, I know) but I honestly and genuinely meant it as just a nice compliment. I really liked the color on him. If it was someone I didn't like I most likely would have said the same thing. I just like to compliment people.

• It means I want you to say something nice about me now. Go on. It's your turn to tell me I look nice

• It means what it means

• If i tell you that i like your shoes it's because i like your shoes, if i tell you that i like your outfit it's bc i like your outfit, if i tell you you look nice it's because you look nice.

What Guys Said 0