How well does a girl expect a guy to dress?

I'm dating this girl who dresses amazingly, she is stunning but should I dress with a little more effort?

Its not like I go on dates looking like a hobo, I just wear jeans and a T

Do girls take notice about how a guy dresses?

Most Helpful Girl

• Ya, I hate how most guys dress these days. Put a little effort into it, we do too.

Girls notice how a guy dresses, so get nice good quality clothes for the first few dates at least and for going out in general. There are many styles that go, but just jeans and t shirt...
    Don't get me wrong, if you have a good body it's a good look for at home or anything casual but not a date or going out in any way. T shirts are underwear.

I like the sweater with shirt underneath style
    www.stuffboyslike.com/.../Picture-3_wide.png
    You can dress it up and down depending on where you go, simply by switching the shirt
    All those guys look great too
    slappedbyfashion.com/.../...-raloh-lauren-men2.jpg

The thing you have to understand is that women dress up because we care and we , wrongly, assume that you care too. Most men don't care however, they just care if they outfit show your figure or not. The thing is dressing up usually doesn't hurt your chances, not dressing up does.
    Have a look at the abercrombie and fitch/ Hollister look books they do a great job at putting outfits together that are preppy, elegant and yet not too formal. And their clothes are pretty generic so you can buy them from everywhere. Same for JCrew or Ralph Lauren

• Thanks this helps heaps!

• Ya the ones from the Aran Islands, I agree they are not a every occasion piece of clothing, their cardigans are a little easier to wear though since they go over other clothes. And I miss the 40s-50s to men knew how to dress back then, that tone period is actually what I bade my own wardrobe after.

• Ew preppy and it's way to hot in the MIA for that.

What Girls Said 46

• Jeans and a t-shirt is fine to me because that's how I typically dress. My boyfriend way out classes me when he dresses. He's always so put together and I'm like, "Look! This shirt is clean! So are these pants! Yay, an outfit!" But when we both dress up we are one fine looking couple lol

• Something clean is good. Maybe a nice jacket and collared shirt when going on a date to somewhere upmarket. But otherwise, just dress normally. She wouldn't be going out with you if she wasn't happy with the way you are now. Girls don't expect you to dress up too much.

• It's sad that I'm not really understanding what u mean by "dressing up." When I think dressing up, I think either suit & tie, or just below that. My bf always looks nice, but what gets me is... he wears the same thing every single time I see him. I can literally name his whole outfit right now from top 2 bottom. Blue plaid collared shirt, brown khaki shorts or dark jeans, black knee socks pulled all the way up, and gray Vans. That's it, every day. That's a casual look 2 me, except for the knee socks of course.

• Nope girls always put mega effort into going on a date its an attraction thing the better we look the more attracted the man is. Never change who you are for anyone ever she obv likes you or she wouldn't be dating you if you change it may put her off because she likes you the way you are.

• Girls do notice how guys dress for sure. Especially on a date it would should he cares just an extra bit and it's sweet. I don't think you *should* do anything you don't want to though. People look best in what they are most comfortable and happy in (it shows). But these are just some suggestions if you're interested...

I suggest H&M as a place to buy clothes for guys, or one place at least. I would definitely invest in a nice jacket and coat. Peacoat's are put together looking. Some sweaters are pretty universal and can go with a lot. On a nice date try wearing a collared shirt, jeans are fine unless it's a really nice restaurant.

Here are some great examples of causal style:

www.muse-magazine.com/.../

• It depends on where you're going. I like a man who is well dressed, it just show that he takes care of himself. But if we're going out for an ice-cream, i do not expect him to be dressed like he's on his way to some private function. Being casual and care free is also attractive. If the girl has not complained about what you're wearing then I don't think she has a problem with it, just make sure you do not under dress when you're going on a romantic date.

• YES. How a guy dresses dictates his maturity.

Be yourself, but put effort in how you look... And for guys, it takes such minimal effort to look good in comparison to girls.

So maybe instead of a t-shirt you wear a casual button down. Wear some boots or nice leather shoes. Do not wear slides or basketball shoes.

• Yes, girls notice. They like it when you put in more effort. Personally I don;t care too much depending on where we are going and how I am dressed. If I look really good I'd hope my date does too. Does that make sense?

• that makes sense but she dresses well all the time and I compliment her on the date and she say its nothing
      by the way thanks for responding!!

• Maybe you could ask her "what should I wear?" in kind of a joking manner and maybe she'll respond honestly.

• yeah I might just try that lol

• I don't really care. I'm definitely one of those girls who like to make a fantastic outfit everyday, but I don't expect it from any of my SOs. The first guy I dated was really outdoorsy and didn't give two craps to appearance and that's okay, because guys can be kind of bumby an it's still socially acceptable. But as a girl who like to dress nice I don't really expect if back, because dressing nice is a personal hobby of mine and it doesn't have to be your hobby also

• They should look clean and they should look like they put a little bit of effort into their looks and if you are hot and toned or whatever you should just go for this look: s8.favim.com/.../...-boy-cute-Favim.com-678119.jpg
    Lolz but guys should dress nice like this:s2.favim.com/.../...-lookbook-Favim.com-261140.jpg
    You should dress however but not like your a dirty stoner.

• God not those skinny jeans those things are horribly uncomfortable can't even bend your legs lol.

• Ahahhahhaha. Yeah but theyre hot as fuck on a guy.. lolz. do what you want. If a girl likes you for you, she won't care what you wear

• I agree, but watch out for douchebag material when they dress like that... just keep it in mind.

• It is about what looks good on you and what you feel comfortable in. I dress without a lot of effort because I wear what I like, I am being myself and I think that is what you should do be yourself. A lot of people express themselves with the way they dress, it is them. I think what you wear is just fine, simple and comfortable and you could combine it with a simple cardigan or a jacket or you can just wear a simple shirt, it always works. :)

• My boyfriend is exactly the same. He usually wears either jeans with a flannel or a t-shirt. I don't care.

Today he surprised me by wearing a dress shirt and pants on our anniversary.

Just dress formal/formal casual for events. If she likes you she won't care.

• You should be able to wear whatever you feel comfortable in and if somebody doesn't like that, fuck them... Not literally. Just... I mean, forget about them.

• Eh, depends. I don't need a guy that dresses great. I kinda prefer a guy that doesn't put in that much effort, typically a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy. My boyfriend typically puts into no effort, which is fine but sometimes I would prefer for him to just put in a bit of work, just to show that he cares. But that's yet to happen lol

• YES, most girls want to have someone who dresses well-- equally as good or better. You should make the effort if you enjoy how she dresses. Look at google images for help discover your style. It doen't matter what style you wear, but your clothes should always be fitted, I find the most annoying thing about mens clothes is that men wear pants that are far too baggy/wide legged. This doesn't mean skinny jeans but we like to see your ass just as much as you do.

Invest in good quality shoes! You don't have to spend a lot on clothes but you should buy quality shoes (allan Edmunds), they will last you a long time for how much they cost and wearing sneakers on a date is really bummy. If you can not afford it find similar styles for cheaper. Well fitting traditional mens clothing is a GREAT place to start. GQ GQ GQ.

• Be neat and clean but keep it simple. Jeans may be a bit TOO simple but then again, it depends where you go out on dates.

It's actually the other way around for me. The dude I like always wears suits and casual formal attire, whereas I have my leggings and kid print sweaters hahaha.

• Blue jeans and T-shirts. I like simplicity. Unless we're going somewhere formal or romantic. Effort must be made.

• personally, i just want him to look neat and clean. you dont have to look like a super model lol
    ... oh and dress like a gentleman not justin bieber and nash w/e and those stupid styles

• I love it when a guy I like expresses himself through clothing that just speaks volumes of him, whatever that may be.

• Most girls expect guys to dress like models because most girls actually DO dress like models. However, there are girls like me who don't have time to catch up with fashion trends (So i prefer guys who match my effortless look). If you date a simply-dressed girl, you may dress simple. However, if your girls dresses like a celebrity on the red carpet, at least dress like a presentable gentleman.

• Yes girls do care how a guy presents himself. Shows a lot about a guys character and self respect. You don't have to wear a Armani suit but make a effort with hair cleanliness and neatness.

• Yes they do. Really all I care about is dressing as you do yourself, unless it is a REALLY NICE RESTURANT or something haha. Just don't show up like a hobo and you are a okay

• Jeans, Tee shirt, Leather jacket, Cologne, Nice hair cut, nice hair cut, nice hair cut... nice hair cut!

• I don't care for guys in suits unless it's just for special occasions like going to a wedding. I like the casual look personally & I'm not into the preppy look. Just dress in a way that makes you feel sexy.

• It depends on the girl. For a girl with everyday t shirt and jeans i dont mind my bf wear same everyday hahaha

• We notice. Dress nice it will be a bonus to her because all the other guys she meets just wear a T shirt and jeans.

• You don't have to go all out but I like men looking nice. maybe instead of jeans and a t wear a polo and a nice pair of dress pants if you don't want to wear a suit. but if you want to melt most girls wear a suit

• As long as you are neat and tidy, don't come to me looking filthy and in ripped, frayed clothing and you should be fine. I am not expecting you to be in a suit. Jeans and a T is absolutely fine.

• Usually out of an abercrombie catalog if they wanna be considered hot

• Well a distressed plaid button up always looks nice with jeans. You could also do a normal button up but cuff up the sleeves. Just something besides a tshirt all the time.

• More from Girls
    16

What Guys Said 24

• I think most people who dress up are probably more attracted to someone else who dresses up. And someone who dresses down is more attracted to someone else who dresses down.

But I've also seen a lot of exceptions to this. So it's really just depends on the two people. You can just ask her. If she says the way you dress is fine, try to read between the lines if she really means it or not. Or you can just go ahead and dress better if you want.

Personally I wouldn't dress up for anyone or any reason. Not for a girl, a job, or any other reason. But if you don't mind doing it, sure, give it a try. If you are totally a casual dresser like me, and you don't like doing it, then you need to find out if it bothers her or not.

• What kinda girls are we talking about? Every girl is just as different as every guy. I have known girls who think that a suit, tie, loafers, and Bowler hat is just the epitome of sexiness. I have known other girls who find that kind of a getup to be the epitome of lame.

Some girls will only date a man who can rock the most expensive business suits.

Some girls will only date a man with cowboy boots and Wrangler jeans.

Then, there are the girls who get wet for a man in uniform.

So, how do I recommend that you dress up? Trick question. A real man doesn't "dress up".

I strongly advise you to be yourself in every aspect. Sure, you could don a suit that would make Al Capone jealous, and you could instantly become sexually attractive to a lot of women.
    You could spend $400 on the finest Rattle Snake Skin Cowboy boots, and $300 on the nicest Stetson Cowboy hat that's ever been made, and instantly become sexually attractive to hoards of women who previously found you to be repulsive.

But if you don't feel comfortable in your own clothes, and if you don't like the way you look, then the reality is that you will only look like a jackass.

Me personally, I find a few women who love my classic look: Strest shoes or work boots, Walmart blue jeans, Walmart T shirts, and a fitted baseball cap turned backwards.

Just remember, only punk rockers are attracted to torn, dirty, ratty clothes. When your clothes wear out, buy new ones.

It's called dressing like a man, not dressing like a slob.

• You should dress in things that are casual but yet have a classic/classy feel to them, Cardigans, Aran shirts, sweaters ( best sweaters in the world made exclusively in the Emerald Isles of Ireland ) nice T-Shirts, jeans etc . I often go out sporting a authentic Irish tweed flat cap made in Ireland with a nice T-shirt, jeans and a belt, I also wear a sort of casual formal zip down jacket that only zips down to the upper chest with a flannel shirt that goes well underneath tucked in with jeans and my cap. Its casual but it looks nice if I want to dress up even further I can switch out the jeans and use black dress pants with the flannel shirt, jacket combo to give it a more formal looks. These are just things that are mostly casual in nature but look good and , classic/classy when used together that give you a better and more formal look while remaining comfortable.

• She may accept it for a while, but eventually, if you don't scrub up you will be alone. The guy with the nice jacket, shirt and trousers will cut in and cut you out. If she makes an effort she is expecting you to.

• I don't dress to impress like a lot of people do. I just dress normally and maybe it's a little baggy the shirt and pants, but I should maybe start dressing more slim fit type shirts. My friend was talking to me about this and how I should buy hollister and Ralph Lauren and North Face. I have wore this and dressed to impress once and a few people told me I look fresh, stunning and like a rich millionaire. My thing is it shouldn't matter on that if someone is 'attractive' or 'dateworthy'. Same deal with cars.

• It depends upon the girl.
    When I was your age I liked designer clothes. The comment was made often that I looked as though I had just stepped off a catwalk.
    Funny thing, most of the girls passed me over for POS bad boys, some of whom looked as though they were homeless.
    Do not believe anything that women say. Watch what they do to find out what they want.

• Dressing with a T and jeans says, I don't care.

I never did like T shirts and know that women like a guy who has his look together.

• wear whatever floats your boat dude!

• Girls love guys who are clean and can put themselves together. You instantly gain brownie points if you look and smell nice.

• I was wearing a suit when I met my wife, but then again I was at work. I was wearing a suit when I met the woman I'm dating now, but then again I just got off work.

I don't think that's a total coincidence.

• My girlfriend made some effort in dressing up... i came in with a t shirt and some sweatpants... ahhh now i feel like shit. I mean, she didn't say anything, so i'm good right? hey love me and all my glory.

• haha sweatpant, im sure you were killin it!

• It is due to each person nature.

• Well tux would be over kill. Under kill might be dirty jeans and raggy t-shirt. If you are going out just for a coke, jeans and clean t-shirt or similar with nice pair of shoes is fine. If it is more formal, buddy, you got to dress for it, maybe social then. Yes, on any case, you got to dress with a little more effort, unless you are going to play paint-ball, and I doubt most girls would like that for a date.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52_3bMrAuQI

Dress however the fuck you wanna. I'm not dressing up for a girl, I dress up for me.

• I'd run. She's got high maintenance written all over her.

• Girls have a large choice of dressing. We have little to choose from.

• I've wondered this too, my clothes always consisted of a t-shirt, jeans, and boots and my hat and in the winter a button up shirt was added on occasionally

• Yes! They do.

• develop your own styles and ask her for some opinions it doesn't harm to ask

• thats still good but whatever u do dont wear sweat pants

• I don't like shabby girls nor I think they will like shabby boys.

• Dress how you do already clearly she likes the way you dress :)

• Girls dress to impress or feel beautiful. But sometimes they like rugged type guys. It used to be a real man didn't dress so "nicely" but rather were strong and courageous and didn't know a thing about computers. Times are changing but not everyone is.

• Wear something you feel and look good in, it doesn't need to be complex. If a T and pair of jeans looks good on you, it's good, unless you want to add in style.