Why do men always wear the evil colors?

So in the west white and generally light colors are associated with innocence and the good while dark colors, especially black is associated with evil.
Now if you look at traditional clothing. Men - Black suit. Women - colorful or at a wedding specifically white

www.thestar.com.my/.../?w=620&h=413&crop=1&
3.bp.blogspot.com/.../uk+royal+%25282%2529.jpg

Now in the middle east, I've been told, it's quite the opposite. Black good, White sad. And women wear black men white
cdn-wac.emirates247.com/.../782028208.png

So how come men always get the colors associate with evil and sadness?

Most Helpful Guy

• Generally in the west men wear clothing to make themselves look powerful and women wear clothing to make themselves look pretty.

I am not an expert in middle eastern dress but I am suspicious men wear white to reflect the heat of the sun. And women were supposed to be hidden from view.

What Guys Said 14

• Colors are just colors. The only associations I give them are as follows:

Black = thinner, sexier

Red = sexy. Especially darker shades.

White = looks good on others but not me

Orange = wtf mate

Yellow = barf

Green = only dark shades, pretty cool when worn stylishly

Brown = dark and light shades look good with black, again looks great when worn stylishly

Blue = looks great on me, and pretty much everyone now that I think about it. I prefer darker shades.

Purple = Feminine Af. Larger woman shouldn't wear it because there's always a douchebag just waiting to bust out his Barney joke.

• Here in Japan, the color, White, symbolizes death.. ^.^

While black, symbolizes not onlymystery but also the night
    and is associated with feminine energy.

But I know what you mean, I do it myself, I like
    black and white clothing, especially the two colors together. ^.^

• So what is the standard dress code for men and women there?

• that's interesting. Is that a more modern thing or is also true for traditional Japanese clothing?

• It's modern.. definitely modern.

If we go way back and think traditional
      the colours are actually more in line with eachother.

Men would be seen in light, colorful colors
      although that may have been mostly royalty.

You know what a kimono/yukata is?

Girls are usually in pink, whereas guys
      would be blue, typically.

• You are misreading the colours. In European culture the dark colours come from religious conservatism and because before the late 19th Century, when synthetic fabric dyes were invented by German industrial chemists, colourful clothing was expensive to make.
    In my case I former army. Former soldiers shun bright colours and prefer black and earth tones. Think camoflague colours.

• But the pope wears white.
      And before the 19th century both men and women (wealthy ones) wore colorful clothes. Women a bit lighter colors, men a bit darker, but colorful in any case

• that's stupid... colors are just colors, there are no evil or good colors

• Really I do not think there is a point in denying that we associate black with evil. Ever heard of the saying "It's not all black and white"? That's a metaphor for saying not everything as obviously good or evil as black or white. Watched any movies recently? The villains often are covered in black. Nazgul, orcs, darth vader, ursula from ariel... they called the plague the "black death" and the most common imagery around death or the reapers is a guy covered in a black sheet. We wear black at funerals, white at christenings. The list goes on and on. I don't think anyone thinks of skin color today.

• And the reason priests and nuns wear black is?

• In China black is good and white is bad also. They see black as the color of the void, which is like their Buddhist version of Heaven, and white as the color of death, which is why they all wear white at their funerals.. This is why in a lot of old gung fu movies you see the good guy wearing all black, and the bad guy wearing white.

• I think it's just tradition, so maybe the question should be, what is the origin of this tradition? I'm guessing it's related to religion and capitalism somehow.

• That is what the question is

• Oh. Engineers are geniuses in my opinion. But I always see my engineering friends dig too far. Anyways... you said "Now in the middle east, I've been told, it's quite the opposite. Black good, White sad. And women wear black men white " So you heard this somewhere. That might be key to your question.

• well someone else in this thread already looked it up and found it to be true. It's common knowledge really, but in case it's not quite true I wanted to leave that door open

• In the middle east it's fucking hot as balls out there so the white is to reflect the sun. The black on women is to hide their bodies.

• Because men want to attract all the badness towards them and save women, as a sacrifice. JUST KIDDING!!! I just have no idea ;P

• My best guess would be that women are more emotional so they wear either "good" color or colorful. Men are more serious.

• Never really heard about this... I just wear any color, EXCEPT PINK!!! God, pink makes me look like a flower...
    I just like wearing Red, Blue, Green, White, Black, and Grey, but I sometimes wear other colors too.

• Colors are just colors, nothing evil about them.

• Only a woman would ask this question. Men don't care about colors. They're just colors.

• because our souls are evil and your souls are angel :)))

• 3|1
    • that's not at all what I was asking about

• I don't know why they get it, that's what I'm asking.
      But really I do not think there is a point in denying that we associate black with evil. Ever heard of the saying "It's not all black and white"? That's a metaphor for saying not everything as obviously good or evil as black or white. Watched any movies recently? The villains often are covered in black. Nazgul, orcs, darth vader, ursula from ariel... they called the plague the "black death" and the most common imagery around death or the reapers is a guy covered in a black sheet. We wear black at funerals, white at christenings. The list goes on and on. I don't think anyone thinks of skin color today.
      Where do you live? Maybe you don't get because you're from a different culture

• Im from 'merica where you say black and you're automatically being racists... all that probably comes from some dumbass in ancient times that was scared of the dark and told some other idiot that the darkness contained evils and another idiot ran with it like "hey all black things are bad... that makes sense"

What Girls Said 6

• The reason why men in the middle east wear white, is to protect themselves from the raging sun. Women are "temptresses" in those cultures, so them wearing black is not at all surprising to me, but that's just speculation - I don't actually know why women can't wear black burqas, but I suspect it still has something to do with gender roles and other cultural shite. As far as I can see, it's just another fuck you to women there - let them fry in the heat.

• can't wear WHITE* burqas

• Well ya it does sound awfully cruel to wrap someone in a black curtain in the desert and I think burkas are terrible and I'm not defending it. I don't know what's wrong with those people
      It is however true those countries also associate white with evil and black with good. I don't know which one came first

• No clue, but I know for sure that making someone wear a black duvet over them when it's +35 ℃ outside is pretty fucking cruel.

• I don't think anyone sees it that way for guys. They wear dark colours to appear more professional and/or serious, or simply because dark colours look good on a guy. If he was to wear bright, loud colours like a women, he might be mistaken as gay.

Girls do the same. The LBD (little black dress) is seen as a women's staple. Darker colours can be seen as sexier and more adult. Bright colours are just seen as being feminine and dressing up.

• it's seen as odd if a men wear bright colors because our standard is that men wear black. But don't you think it's interesting that we developed that standard seeing as black has been associated with evil for quite some time

• Well I was asking if it's a coincidence, I never said it couldn't be.
      But my point is we're not the only culture that puts the color associated with evil and grief on men. As I was seeing in the middle east, men get stuck with the evil color too. And there are other examples. So you think it's all coincidence?

• But you would probably have to look at a range of cultures to get a bigger picture. I'm sorry if I've offended you on your take on this, and I do find it a very interesting topic. I just don't believe that this is the case.

Unless... perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps good/pure colours have been associated with women, and then men take the opposite colour so as not to appear feminine.

• Uggh, are you serious?

• Who said they are evil colours?

• Colors represent different things from culture to culture, and their meanings change through time. In western countries for example-blue, green and black being masculine isn't because those colors are ''bad'', but because they represent dominance, while women are given pink which represents submission, docility and tenderness. Pink used to be a male color but that changed once it's meaning changed to something derogatory (submission).

• But I mean come on the west has a very obvious association with black as evil and sad.
      Ever heard of the saying "It's not all black and white"? That's a metaphor for saying not everything as obviously good or evil as black or white. Watched any movies recently? The villains often are covered in black. Nazgul, orcs, darth vader, ursula from ariel... they called the plague the "black death" and the most common imagery around death or the reapers is a guy covered in a black sheet. We wear black at funerals, white at christenings. The list goes on and on

And we've had that association for a fairly long time. I don't really know about the other colors, I think it's some subconscious there but black and white are very obvious to most people

• Black is conservative and professional, not ''male'', that's why it's worn in professional settings, by both men and women.

• Because you look like a pimp in a white suit.