Why do people find it hard to believe that black women have long hair to?

I'm African American with really long hair and the first thing people ask me is "What are you mixed with?" Like just because I have long hair doesn't mean I'm mixed. I know white people with short hair that doesn't grow. I know black women with long hair that grows and grows. And Reverse. So why do people always ask that?

Most Helpful Guy

• As a black guy, I've never thought this to be true! I've known black girls and women with naturally long hair!

The issue is that too many African-American women and girls use those harsh chemical relaxers to change their hair texture too early in age, damaging their hair for the rest of their lives!

Most Helpful Girl

• I have bra length hair (in it's natural state).. I'm natural and I don't get relaxers...

The majority of the women in my family **on my moms side***have long hair... I'm black and have always had narrowing hair.

• Naturally ***
      I think it's a statistic.. We don't get enough credit...

• They do always trying to brinf us down

• Our hair shouldn't have to be "bone straight" to be considered long... A lot of people think curly hair is short... It's really not... Those textures are tricky..

What Guys Said 4

• I always believed it because I've seen it. Most people get their beliefs from what they see in media. If the African stars don't have long hair then many people think that no African woman has long hair.

• Media. TV. Extensions.

• I believe it.

• Rare. It's rare to see a black woman with long hair

• It's not rare. Take most African American celebrities for instance underneath that weave is long beautiful hair

• It's rare

What Girls Said 4

• Ig they're used to black women having short damaged hair, or seeing them with some type of weave

• They are stupid because they believe in stereotypes. I had long hair in elmentary school and used to get made fun of, in middle school this girl literally digged her hand into my scalp without my permission. At that moment, I was offically some and cut my hair to my ears. I regret that so much now!. Please don't let anyone make you feel like cutting your hair :/. Asian women and white women wear extensions and weaves as well, people are just too closed minded to realize that.

• Because black women spend a majority of their time trying to appease to European standards, that they either damage their hair with deadly chemicals to get it straight (which causes breakage. If your hair grows and inch, and breaks and inch, has it really gone anywhere?) or they put in weave, or burn it off trying to keep it straight. Your own insecurity about your own hair has created this stereotype.

If you want people to stop thinking that way, then stop being ashamed to have curly hair, and just grow your curls out instead of hiding it from the world.

There is nothing wrong with curly hair that it should be altered or hidden, and a lot of black women either alter their hair or try to hide it.

• I wear weave and my hair is natural. Wearing weave doesn't mean you are hiding your hair. It's a protective style. I've kept my hair braided up under weaves for a year and my hair grew a lot. I'm not ashamed of my hair at all. I

• @CHARismatic110 Well guess what? That's not the case for the majority of black women, and that's where the stereotype comes from. You are a minority. This is the sad case for the majority of black women who don't like their hair and try to hide it behind texture altering chemicals and weaves. Instead of loving their curly hair, taking care of it, and growing it long and showing off how beautiful curly hair is. Especially thick curly hair the way Africans have.

• I'm not hiding anything and people still assume I'm mixed so...

• My friends (full blood black aficans) told me that their families believe that they should have short hair? and therefore will always cut it... and they told me that their hair string is different to white, or mixed girls, as its very hard, dry and blunt to grow fast...