Tips for curling thick long hair?

I have to curl my hair later... do I curl it forward or back? Hair spray it before rolling or after? Also my hair is wavy & thick so should I straighten it first for a better curl?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hair in the front of your face should always be curled backwards. It frames your face better. However, after you've curled the front, you should alternate between curling it forwards and backwards. That way, all of the curls won't end up blending in with each other because they all look alike - they will still look like single curls. When they blend in together, they just end up looking like one massive curl, which doesn't look very natural or cute. You should always use hairspray AFTER styling your hair with heat, because the hairspray might damage your hair even more if you use it before. If you want to straighten your hair first, then make sure you let it cool down for around 30 minutes or so. If you try to curl it while it's still somewhat hot, you won't end up getting any nice and long lasting curls (because of the heat). So if you want less hassle, just curl it without straightening it first. Take thin, one inch sections of your hair to make sure you get nice curls. The more hair you try to curl at once, the more likely it is that it's not going curl very well.

What Guys Said 2

• I think you curl it first and then spray it to maintain the form.

• Use curlers

What Girls Said 2

• If you have thick hair hou can curl all your hair back (outwards) so each side is uniform with itself but opposite of the other. From the side and front the curls will be very uniform and mermaid looking. However, this way looks less voluminous. You can also alternate directions which is a more voluminous look. Hair spray after but maybe use a prepping/curling mousse beforehand and then a heat protectant. I wouldn't straighten my hair beforehand because it wouldn't curl as well after. If anything, I think not straightening it adds body and texture.

• Don't straighten it first, curl it backward and use hairspray after