LADIES! Do you know your body shape (pear, apple, ruler, hourglass, etc.) and do you dress accordingly to it?

Just a question I was curious about. How many ladies here know their shape? And do you give a rat's ass about dressing to "flatter" it. Do you agree with what they say?

I personally don't. A lot of the times, they say to not wear something cuz it will make my body look worse. But when I wear it, I look damn good in it ;P haha
For swimsuits, I know it's said for pear shapes to avoid boyshort or skirt bottoms and to wear the high cut panty-like bottoms instead. But hell no! I feel like half my ass cheeks will be exposed and I was never a fan of the "hanging cheeks" fad. Or it feels like I'm exposed. I need full and even extra coverage on my bottoms.

So do you know your shape? And ladies do you dress for it? Do you agree with it?

Also if any MEN are reading this, do you know about women body shapes? Do guys even care if we "dress for them"? I feel like it's largely a woman issue created by women.

*Bonus question. Who the hell comes up with that stuff? I understand it's meant to just cover the general population, like the "average hourglass" or the "average pear shape" or whatever, but a lot of that sounds like crap. I guess my body is just weird lol

3.bp.blogspot.com/.../...-stone-kim-kardashian.jpg

encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images

• Yes I know my shape but I don't "dress for it".
  • Yes I know my shape and DO dress for it.
  • I don't know my shape and don't care. I dress with whatever I like.
  • I am a guy. Or I just wanna see results.
An example of what I mean. For petites or pears, these magazines always try to get us to wear heels to make us taller. Ruffly shirts to make our tops look to have more volume. And usually they recommend bright blouses and shirts with lots or intricate patterns to catch attention.
Basically, they want us to go around looking like Prince or something. haha :p
But that's just not my style at all :/
I prefer neutral and dark tops. No heels. I am not a fan of ruffles and puffy shoulders.

Most Helpful Guy

• "they say to not wear something cuz it will make my body look worse. But when I wear it, I look damn good in it ;P haha"

25.media.tumblr.com/.../...fvweuC1rgg0n8o1_500.gif

I see you like to dress modest?

What's your body shape? Curious.

• Lmao!!! I love that gif! :) yes I do work it ;P haha

Yea, I prefer to dress modestly.

I'm a mix of petite and pear. So a petite pear I guess.

• Yes!! We agree on this topic so much lol which is refreshing cuz of our constant disagreements :p

• Lmao that gif.

What Guys Said 9

• Do guys care if you dress for them? Of course. If I am with a woman, I know that most of the time she is dressing for herself, but it is nice to see her giving my preferences attention, too.

Oh, and where are th pictures showing what you mean about your cheeks hanging out? ;-)

• Do guys notice it though? Lol Sometimes I feel like guys are just like "meh. Whatever" unless she's wearing some very revealing outfit. And you hear all the "damn baby" comments.

And I don't know google them lol I don't like that fad.

• Haha I'm not a wild child.
      I'm actually very modest as surprising as it may be. If someone were to see me at a beach, which is a rare sighting cuz I'm not a big fan of large bodies of water, belly buttons and stomachs (they creep me out for some reason), bathing suits, or people barely clothed.
      I'm a fucking hermit lol I prefer to stay sheltered indoors :p

Hmm that's understandable. There are way too many guidelines and advice on what to wear and what not to wear that even a lot of girls lose track of it.

• Regardless of your public wild side (or lack of) you are a really fun person on here and I like that. I know that yuou have stated that you are modest about your breasts with your guys, but seem open in other ways. Once you realize that your breast are 150% appealing, I imagine that you would be one heck of a wild gal for your guy in private (Lucky guy). Never give up on your inner wild side. ;-)

• Well it depends. The tips they give are standards and is not a 'fit all' rule. But it's a good starting point to get you to dress in a way that's flatters your body. We can't get around physical attraction that's for sure. So it's meant to hide weakness and outline strengths

I tend to agree with most of the fashion guidance. For example if you want to hide some excess chub. Black really does work vs lighter colours. They have some truth in what they say for sure BUT again it's not a fit all type of rule. It's just a starting point and needs to be tweaked for sure according to your taste

• Hmmmm. Maybe that's why people say I look so slim. I usually wear black or very dark colors like charcoal grey or navy blue.

Yea, they do set "guidelines". Some do make sense, but sometimes for me they don't. I also don' like how they want me to wear lol I like dark or neutral colors. But for petites and pears, we are "supposed" to wear more bright tops to draw attention to our small chest. Haha I don't know why.

• Hahaha maybe. But your probably also just slim lol. I wouldn't know just guessing. But yea darker colours absorb light better so they don't relfect as much. Creating a more slimmer look

Try wearing like light jeans with a few tears in them you'll notice yourslef much thicker lol. Which is good in my opinion ;)

Fashion specialists first try to balace out the shape of a person. That's why they do all these things. Also not to mention fashion artists need to continue to create a 'need' in order to create a demand for their products. Which then translates to muchos dineros, right?

So that's why take it with a grain of salt. BUT don't overlook what they say as well. It does work for the most part and can make drastic changes on your look just from your choice of clothing :)

have any other examples, what about swim wear hum. They say a less curvy women should wear a one piece. What's you think about that?

• I am skinny. But I don't think I'm "THAT" skinny as people say. I don't know. Maybe I am, but I don't see it. I don't have Body Dysmorphia, and I don't wanna lose weight.

Yea. That's the only "fashion advice" I follow. I only like darker color bottoms. Not so much cuz it's fashion advice, but just cuz I like to wear dark and neutral colors.
      Light jeans do make me look a lot thicker I'd agree.

Yea. It is for the money. But I guess it bothers me more cuz in the end they say something like "but all body shapes are beautiful". Yet their whole advice was to make every female look like an hourglass. I'm not an hourglass, maybe never will be. The focus shouldn't be on making my body looking like someone else's. But again, it's not about our self esteem. It's about their money.

Less curvy women should wear a one piece? I don't know. If she likes it yea, but if not no.
      Cuz sometimes we like the clothes they suggest and sometimes no. It should be dressing for ourselves, not others.

• Pears, apples, bananas. . . I can't keep up with all this fruit. You just rock what you wanna rock Buchita!!!

• Haha, Women are sweet fruit and that's why y'all can eat us! ;)

Lmao yea, I just wear what I think looks good on me. I probably do look weird in it, but oh well. As long as I like it :)

• Women are DEFINITELY sweet fruit!

• All those girls are beautiful...
    i guess i like all those shapes...
    as long as they are classy and confident i am with it!

• Yes, they're all very pretty. I don't know if they just chose good outfits, but they all look stunning. I can't get over how sexy yet elegant Mila Kunis looks in that pic! I mean, I do have a crush on her, but damn. She just looks so classy and beautiful there. I'm drooling lol

"Piu Bello Amante", I'm learning Italian. Does that mean "Most Beautiful Lover?"
      Parlo un po di' italiano.
      I am still learning, but I like it cuz it's very similar to Spanish. Grammar and pronunciation.

• You're too kind. Thank you :)

Yea, I think I'm harder on myself than anyone. We are our own worst critics you know?

• i totally understand, i am pretty self critical when it comes to my intelligence
      My looks are eh, lol, but i feel comfortable in my skin most days

feeling fluctuate so some days i a am much more self critcial

• I'm shaped like a Maltese cross (as you can see).

• I have no idea. Are women fruit?

• can a guy be called "apple-shaped"?

• I don't care if women dress in what makes them happy, because I dress in what I like. I won't lie though some clothes will catch my attention more than others.

• Are you aware of the different body shapes though? And what clothes catches your attention more if I may ask?

• I'm a little aware, I know pear and Hourglass but I usually don't look that close and examine their body shape. If it's nice, it's nice. In all honesty I notice form fitting clothes. I'm just honest.

• I prefer girls with inverted triangle body shape ;)

• Apple shape? That's actually I think one of the most common body shapes in the US.

• She's like the opposite of mine. I'm pear or "triangle" shape. If I were to gain weight, it would mostly go to my legs, thighs, butt and bottom half. And that is what happens when I gain weight, very little will make it's way up to my boobs or stomach.

• Apple is a triangle shape, but inverted triangle is not an apple, it's quite the opposite... I prefer girls who work out, atheltic & sporty girls are my type ;)

What Girls Said 34

• Kind of. I don't know my measurements but based on the things I see it's hourglass I think? Or pear? Not sure.
    I'd prefer a banana shape. Sometimes I manage to look skanky in cute outfits, I am not even overweight or chubby. I kind of hate it because I don't enjoy sexual attention. I wish I was flat as fuck but my body type doesn't help it.
    Anyway, I don't care anymore, I wear what I like but I avoid showing much skin.

• Yep, I'm an inverted triangle.
    I personally find it very important to dress for my body shape, although I really don't follow the actual rules set up by outside sources---I instead have simply figured out what flatters me and what doesn't myself. For example, inverted triangles are "supposed" to stick with flared and loose jeans so as to make your lower body look bigger. But all I ever wear is skinny jeans. What I do is simply wear a shirt with them that de-emphasizes my top half so that everything looks proportionally slim.

I also have a short torso, so if I'm not careful a lot of things can really look terrible on my body. My main focus is to make my lower half look bigger, de-emphasize my top half, and create the appearance of a longer torso. All of those things have to do with what clothes I'm wearing. Some clothes emphasize all the wrong features. I avoid those clothes like the plague.

• Yea. You're the opposite of me. I'm supposed to avoid any bottoms that make my butt or legs look even bigger. And wear bright and puffy and ruffly and intricate shirts to draw as much attention and create as much volume to my top.
      But that is not my style at all :/

I'm not much of a fashionista. So I don't really know what types of clothes "flatter me". If I like it and look good in it, I'll just wear it. :)

• Yeah, I've got the wide shoulders, somewhat full chest, and non-existent hips, whereas pear shapes tend to be the exact opposite of that. Funny that you mentioned being supposed to draw all the attention to your top, all the online "how to dress your shape" guides encourage me to draw all the attention to my bottom, as if I should make hammer pants a staple of my wardrobe xD
      This outfit practically sums up what most of those guides seem to expect us inverted triangles to wear all the time: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...7806c8a0f8.jpg

I'm really not into fashion either, but I do notice when an outfit makes me look disproportionate, mainly because I've gotten a bit self-conscious about it (people have commented on aspects of my body that I already wasn't a fan of), not because I'm all that into style.

• Haha, see this is what they want us pear shapes to wear most of the time encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

I think they're secretly trying to bring the 80s/90s back :p

• I have never understood dressing for your type.
    "If you're short wear this to look tall!"
    "If you're tall wear this to look short!"
    "If you've got big boobs and a small ass wear this to make your boobs look smaller and your ass bigger! "
    "If you've got small boobs and a big ass wear this to make your boobs look bigger and your ass smaller!"

Like.. I understand dressing to FLATTER your shape and accentuate it but not to give the illusion of having a different body. Why not just show off what we have...

• Damn! As usual, you say exactly what I was thinking! Lol yea, that's all they are trying to force us women to look like. The same. I understand that hourglass probably has the most sex appeal, but what if we're happy with our pear shaped bodies? What if we're happy with our apple shaped bodies? What if we're happy with our ruler shaped bodies?

Like I said in my update, Being a petite and pear, they basically want me to go running around looking like prince or something :p

And then these magazines have the fucking audacity to say at the end something like "But all shapes and sizes are beautiful!"
      Ha! Really? We're all beautiful yet you're trying to get us all to look like hourglasses? Changing our entire body? Yea. Such a load of bs lol

• Those magazines can't make up their mind! Lol

• I'm not really sure what my shape is. I have small hips, wide shoulders, and I'm super tall and thin. It's hard to dress for my body shape simply because it's not always easy to find clothes that are long enough for my torso.

• You're probably like the "banana" or ruler shaped. I know tall people as is have a hard time finding nice clothes. And tall thin people sometimes have it worse cuz if they make the clothes bigger, they increase the length and width. And then that leaves the tall thin people wearing loose or ill fitting clothing.
      I know this cuz one of my friends is tall too. She's like 5'10 and she is thin. So she says if she does find a shirt long enough for her torso, it is usually too wide and makes her look odd.

• Exactly! It's rare that a tall person is curvy because of the way weight is distributed on their bodies. Things are better now since manufacturers have started realizing we exist, but loose clothes are still a problem depending on the brand and style.

Many tall girls need to wear plus size in some things just to get the length. And always with pants/jeans, the longer they are the wider the waist and thighs tend to be, because the sizing goes by waist size. So I have a lot of belts in my wardrobe, lol.

Shorts and skirts aren't a problem for me though, because the length isn't as important. For shorts, I generally wear a size 6 or 8 US, but for pants that jumps to a 12 or a 14 US.

• Yea, she says she has to tailor a lot of the clothes cuz she doesn't like wearing her shirts too loose. But it works out cuz I think she looks really nice in almost anything she wears. But it sucks for her that she has to spend extra time or money to fix the clothes.

I'm kinda opposite of y'all. I have I guess "curvy" hips and lower body. And I have short legs. So I have to either fold my pant legs, or tailor them as well. If the pants aren't long, they're too thin for m legs. If they're fine for my legs, they're too long on the legs lol
      But now I have seen more stores carry pants that say like "curvy". And those tend to fit me better cuz they give enough space for my thighs and butt, while still not being too long and not having a large waist. Cuz sometimes I have to wear belts for that. But I'm not a fan of belts.

• I don't really know my shape. My hips and bust are equal, so I guess like an hour glass, but on the border of ruler shape. Some times I think I have broad shoulders, but I'm slender... I'm not sure what shape I am but I like it :)

I don't dress for my shape. If something looks good on me, I wear it.

• Hmmm. It's hard to visualize. But if you don't have a small waist, you'd be a ruler and hourglass. Or a mini hourglass.

Yes, me too lol If I like how it looks on me, I just wear it. I remember when I was younger I'd look through the Seventeen magazines and try my best to listen to that crap. I'm also a tomboy so I don't really dress like a chick. But now I don't care. As long as I like it, I will wear it :)

• It's not tiny like you would see with hourglasses. It is 33-24-33, I keep seeing that you're waist has to be 10" smaller or else you aren't an hourglass. ._.

That's funny, I use to look through seventeen as well. I thought dressing up like that took too much yime lol I guess it had an adverse effect on us! Lol

• I'm a pear shape, and I just wear whatever looks good. This doesn't include ruffly shirts. I look ridiculous in ruffly shirts, haha. I think those "rules" aren't that well-suited for a lot of individuals.

• My shape chunky lol. I have big boobs, a small waist, a pudgy stomach, average hips (one bigger than the other) and an average ass that used to be non existent until I starting squatting.

I wear what I'm comfy in. Mostly jeans and tshirts. Sweats. I don't wear a lot of dresses and skirts because I don't feel they look right (although people always tell me I look nice). I wore my first 2 piece swimsuit that showed my stomach last summer and didn't throw up lol.

• Aww that's good :)

I wear what I find most comfortable too. Which is usually just large shirts and sweatpants :P
      I don't really like skirts or dresses either. But I'll wear them if it's hot or if I am going clubbing or something.
      I wore my first 2 piece last summer too. Well I always wear a 2 piece, but it's usually shorts and like a tank top. But this time it was more of a "bikini top". I felt so awkward in it so I quickly put on a tank top again. I don't like exposing my stomach or back and felt really uncomfortable. It was only for like 2 seconds, but that was a lot for me lol

• I usually wear the tank top and full coverage bottoms too.

http://instagram.com/p/p6nqENIWBm/

I took a risk lol. And it took me about an hour to take my cover up off. I got dirty looks and all but it was an accomplishment for me so yea.

• i'm somewhere between pear and hourglass - my boobs are slightly too small for my lower half. i dress however i want. i don't really follow anything specifically. i don't know how i'm supposed to dress. if something looks good, i get it. i try to get stuff that accentuates my waist because i have a pretty small waist. but on a daily basis, i don't really care. maybe for parties or special occasions i will try harder but not usually haha

• I know my shape, I am technically petite. But I don't know what I am supposed to wear besides heels and ruffly bathing suits to make me look taller and more curvy haha and I don't really care to try to be taller or more curvy.
    So i guess i don't listen to whatever people are saying I should wear to look a certain way.

• YES! I'm technically petite and pear. A petite pear. And a lot of those magazines say to try to wear heels and ruffly blouses and shirts. And bright colors to catch attention. Basically, to go around looking like Prince. But I don't like that :/ lol

• I know I'm an apple shape but I've never actually looked up on how magazines say my shape should dress. I might have to go check it out and see if I've been doing it right.

• Haha don't! The things they tell you to do! Lol some other girl on her commented about being apple shaped and they basically want you to wear like parachute pants or something to give you more "volume" on your lower body.
      Some of this advice is pretty strange to me lol I'm not a "fashionista" though.

• Haha I actually looked it up and it seems too complicated (accentuate the bust, wear more shorts, no boots, A-line skirts etc.) I'm just going to keep doing my own thing. :)

• I don't know exactly what my shape and U don't care to know.
    I wear whatever I like and a lot of the things I like do flatter my body, in my opinion.

• I'm a pear but you can't dress for a shape because everyone's perception of beauty is their own...
    I wear whatever I want

• That's good :)
      Please remain with that thought. Cuz if you pick up these ridiculous magazines, they say some crazy ish honestly lol Most of it to get your body to look a certain way. :/

• I have no Idea what my body shape is, I usually just wear what I like and whatever is comfortable, which is usually jeans and a T shirt
    I don't really care what my bodyshape is

• I'm a petite, skinny, hourglass. I sorta dress to sorta somewhat show it off but really, I don't give a rat's ass. I wear what's comfy. I agree with you on the swimsuit thing. I usually wear a bikini but an extremely conservative and comfortable one that completely covers me. The "cheeckies" are very unattractive to me.

• I'm an hourglass but it's really hard to dress for. I'm short my boobs are too big and I feel like I look wonky. So instead of wearing things that accentuate my bust I try to down play it and make it smaller. Also my also I don't like body hugging clothing so I avoid it. Overall I'd like to be slimmer so I dress to slim down instead of showoff my curves

• I know my shape, but I dress as I please

• I have no idea about my body shape
    [IDENTITY CRISIS RIGHT HERE I'M GONNA SELL MY STUFF AND RUN AWAY TO KAZAKHSTAN]

• I'm a pear, but I'd be an hourglass if my waist was an inch or two smaller.

I don't dress to flatter my body type, but I certainly don't dress in ways that don't flatter it (shirts tight around the hips, wearing pants and skirts on my hips instead on my waist, etc).

Also, from my understanding, an inverted triangle is when the shoulders and bust are larger than the waist and hips, and an apple is like a pear except they carry more of their weight in their stomach than hips.

• I'm hourglass 😊

• I'm hourglass, & I try to wear what I feel comfortable in. Although I'm more of a skirt/dress girl than slacks when it comes to business suits, which I think helps.

• I'm an hourglass and I like to dress to flatter my body shape. But sometimes Id like to wear a sweat shirt with sweat pants and be lazy and comfortable for a day (:

• Mine is an hour glass according the nutrisionist I was seeing for meal plans last year. Yes I think I dress for it for the most part

• I'm petite hourglass type 😅 I have to wear heels when I work since I'm invisible withodut them.
    Also need to dress up most of times for work, but I usually wear outfits that make me look tall like short dresses or short shorts 😛

• I have long legs but a short torso :( I am basically straight on all 4 sides :/
    I just wear what I want, mostly athletic clothes

• Yeah I definitely know I have ruler figure but I don't give a fuck what the "experts" say I should wear. i wear whatever I like and looks good on me

• hourglass. I prefer loose tee shirts. so.. no?

• I'm very hourglass, 35"/23-24"/36-37" and yes I dress to flatter my small waist and shapely hips:) and also push-up bras for my average bust lol

• Interesting body shape description. I think I am apple or petite.. what do you think?

• Yes i know my shape but i don't dress for it.

• i have the body shape of a friggen ruler lol, besides my boobs, so a ruler with a bend lol

• More from Girls
    4