If steroids are illegal for athletes, should photoshop be illegal for models?

• yes
  • no
  • maybe so? (explain)
oooh! love the debate! such a close tie between yes and no! very interesting...

Most Helpful Guy

• Hilarious and good question.

Hence why I don't read magazine ads, ever.

• hahaha i do, but just passing by in the grocery store for some laughs XD its like once you get it in your head what they do to make the models look like that, you can't help laugh at the ridiculousness of it! but i feel bad for younger kids and insecure people who are like, im so ugly, ill never look like that :(

• Thanks for MH!

• no prob!

What Guys Said 19

• Honestly, even without photos in a modeling competition people do things to "gain an edge." For example, in a bikini contest many girls use synthol for their butts. It's not a steroid, but it is an alteration technically. Some can say "it's just oil" another can consider is crossing the line. It'd like like making breast implants illegal I guess you can say.

Photoshops would also be hard to be made illegal because those things are mainly just advertisements for things like clothes and stuff. There's really no case for it.

You also have people who say "Its my body I can do what I want" to an extreme.

• No, if people are too dumb to realize everything in magazines is fake, then they deserve to be insecure.

• I knew things where photoshopped but they didn't stop me from wanting to look like that an honking there was something wrong with myself

• I actually think the realistic (real) photos are better, because they look like how real girls look in real life. (I just used "real" too many times in one sentence.) And to me, "real" looks hotter. Because it's real. I think that's 6 times I used "real."

• Sportsmen perform for results that you can actually measure. Like time, distance, height, score etc. This is why steroids/doping give them an unfair advantage over the possible limits of human body. You must work hard in order to perform better than the rest. Basically anyone can be a champion, it just takes years of determination, training and practice.

While you can't really measure models (everyone person has his own taste), they are out there just as an eye candy object, nothing more. It takes no skill, no hard performance, nothing. As long as you're somewhat pretty, you know the right people and you're okay to sleep and suck your way through, you're good to go.

So tuning them in photoshop just to make them look better cannot be compared to use of steroids/doping in sports.

• "It takes no skill, no hard work, nothing" are you f***ing kidding me. Modeling takes more work than your ass can even imagine. You have to eat healthy, gym every day, you have to be toned, fit and you have to know how to work your body to get the picture. Not to mention shooting in extreme weather conditions in 6 inch heels.

"as long as you're okat to sleep your way through it" this is just offensive. As a former model, in no way does anyone ever ask you to "suck through it". Ever. In the fashion industry it's all about image, for the models the photographers, agents, etc. if someone ever tells you that you won't get the job unless you sleep with them, they would never, ever be hired again.

Educate yourself before you make a stupid comment

• @rawr156
      If you can't win an argument, just start throwing insults. Good ol' tactic.
      Anyway, bye-bye.

• Yeah, I would say it should be illegal. After all, flaws are sexy.

• Hmmm... you make a good point. Well, we all know pictures in magazines and other places that have models are all fake but we don't always know if sportsmen are all on steroids. This will take some long-term thinking.

• There has never been a study published that support the claim that moderate steroid use is detrimental to ones health. Its steroid abuse that's the problem, but the same could be said about alcohol abuse and much more deadly tobacco use.

Photoshop shouldn't be illegal because its simply changing the way a picture looks and has no effect on humans.

• Y'know I don't even care anymore. I don't hate on steroids users, I've seen steroid users fail just as much as non-steroid users.!

• Steroids are illegal not just because it gives athletes an unfair advantage but because they can cause you health problems. Look at all the famous wrestlers from the 1980s who took steroids. So many died quite young because of heart problems caused by steroid use.

Photoshop may be misleading but it's not hurting anyone.

• what abou tthe people who are killing themselves to look like this?

• yes! thanks thats what i meant! of course you can't ban photoshop (my friends a graphic artist and would probably kill me if i advocated for that XD) but i mean physical alterations of sizes and shapes of models should not be allowed

• There is no study ever published that supports this claim:

So many died quite young because of heart problems caused by steroid use.

• Well it's very different. Sports are for titles, money and athletic challenges. Having a levelled playing field is very important.

Magazines are made to look good. It's marketing and advertising. They must appeal to the audience. Why does a Big Mac always look so delish in pictures vs when you actually buy it. Because there going to put pictures that set the standard

• Nope cause females aren't abusing steroids to make their bodies look better now they could be over doing it with botox injections

• because photoshop... won't harm your health :-P

• lol sure why not

• I think neither should be illegal.

• Sure, but make up should be illegal for all people who are supposed to look decent.

• it doesn't damage the models' health but it damages the health of the girls that watch the photos

• yeup exactly

• there are uglier women than models

• i know that im saying it may hurt the models too

• Wow you just blew my mind.

• Why is mary jane legal in Colorado and couple other states, yet, collegiate, high school and professional sports players get fined/penalized for using it in those states?

• What is it with women and this stuff? Society is all about striving for perfection and this is no different. There's nothing wrong with that. It only hurts YOU if you let it. Just ignore it if it bothers you.

Men are idealized and and objectified just as much as women but you don't hear them constantly complaining about it.

What Girls Said 14

• Nope not the same, Photo enhancement exist for a reason to enhance photos and cover flaws. Sometimes things go overboard but t the end of the day its just business. As for steroids that is illegal for athletes because you are cheating when competing against other athletes that depend on natural talent and practicing for strength and body building and as for modeling when a model has a portfolio her pictures of her in a natural state and when they go to auditions and casting calls they are not allowed to wear makeup and their hair has to be pinned up or worn straight they don't get gigs based on their Photoshopped pics. Totally different so do some research. If Photoshop did not exist or was banned Photographers would be out of jobs and so will graphic designers like me lose profits for not being able to do photo enhancement. It's not hurting anyone except for women to are insecure and constantly compare themselves to women in magazines instead learning to love and accept themselves. It should motivate them to change if they feel the need to naturally because you can't use Photoshop when you walk out the door.

• In terms of making people feel bad, I think Photoshop is a terrible idea. However, it's an effective marketing tool and that's why it's allowed - it accomplishes the purpose of advertising. On the other hand, steroids hurt the sport which is based on the idea of fair competition. It's not about individual models competing, it's about selling products.
    The idea of falseness/fakeness is there but otherwise they're not really related ideas.

• It depends on the ads.. making the models wear fake eyelashes and photoshop them to the extreme to sell your mascara should be illegal.

I haven't bought a mag in years. I thought they do need to state now that the pics have been digitally altered.. but I guess most people just don't know by 'how much'.

• Photoshop will never be illegal br aide IT doesn't exactly cause bodily harm. Just destroys confidence. But I get what you mean.

• haha i know it could never really be illegal, cause like capitalism and selling the image but it just seems so unfortunate XD

• I think Photoshop should be illegal period. I think it gives unapproachable standards. Once girls (I'm using girls because I'm a girl and can relate) learn that stretch marks, scars and belly pooches are normal they'll stop killing themselves

• Lao models don't choose to be photoshopped someone else decides that

• Yes photo shop should be banned, the portrayal of beauty in media is very horrific, it just leads people to have an idea of idealization that is impossible to achieve leaving people to have self-image issues.

• Haha amazing question! They cheat and that should be noted or informed at least... it gets people to think that's the norm

• hahha! like those little surgeons general warnings on cigarettes lol!

• I know be aware pic has been twicked so that the model lost 10lbs

• XD the camera adds 10 lbs and photoshop takes away 30!

• no it shouldn't i dont get why people think that models in magazines actually look real my cousin is 14 and even she knows that what she sees in magazines isn't real so i dont buy the excuse that kids get insecure about it absolutely no one in real life looks like that and if anyone believes they do they are delusional and stupid

• haha well good for your cousin! she sounds very mature for her age and that will help her. but i mean all of those girls who are not so mature and dont understand that this isn't real without seeing the beofre shot posted next to it :(

• yes. yes, of course it should be. that makes perfect sense. 0. O

• Ok, the pictures you chose are not very good example, none of those would ever be published in an actual magazine

• it is not apple and apple comparison
    so B

• No, coz photoshop saves makeup money. Like steroid Photoshop doesn't effect health of the models. So, very funny question u have asked

• It shouldn't be illegal because not everyone has that perfect body and if it's a marketing campaign would you rather them be anorexic or have some fat like a normal being... And I part time model to get myself through business school but I'm not a skinny stick and I don't mind if they change it

• You picked out really bad examples. Almost all of those pictures were only so people could see what photoshop can do, not to be actually put on magazines and shit. Not all of them are even real models.

But yes. I think photoshop should be banned.