Why do people go by cup letter when talking about boobs size?

Would it surprise you to know all these women are D cups?

www.brabandproject.com/.../search

All the letter means is the distance in inches from the band. So the small bands can have high letters without big cups.

My boobs are small/on the small side of average. But my band/underbust is 30" and my bust is 35" so I would technically measure as a 30DD according to modern methods.

Have you made this mistake? Do you think of D cups as being large?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've tried to explain this to guys on here so many times lol. The "cup size" correlates with the band size. So if you are a 32D your actual boobs are smaller than the boobs of someone who is a 36C.

What Guys Said 20

• I have no idea! I find it much simpler when using expressions like "handful (s)" or "takes two hands to hold that shit up!" or "it's flickable" or "motorboatable" than referencing cup sizes hahaa.

• What is a "flickable" size lmao? I've never heard that one

• @LovesTVDx if its flickable that means it should be able to be moved with ease by simply flicking it. you can't really flick big boobies and expect them to move far hahaa, not with a simple flick xD

• Many of us understand that cup size is proportional to band size, yes. I've known this since I was about 13, and this was very pre-Internet, much less pre-Google.

• This is new to me, I don't think it is common knowledge (at least not for guys) that the letter indicates the band rather than the breast. If you could clarify what you mean by distance from the band (band to what?) i would appreciate that, and i'm sure a few other guys would also.
    What would you use to measure bust size?

• Most girls don't get it either. I just now grasp it.

You take two measurements. Ribcage (under boob).. with modern sizers that's your band. So for me that's 30". Then you take your bust which is the fullest part of your breast and measure that... mines 35" so subtract the band from the bust and you get 5 inches or DD so 30DD

But see...35" inches is still a completely average chest size. So someone with say a 40 band... a DD cup would equal a 45" bust. 10" and 5 cups bigger than me... but same letter

• Well the numbers never change unless your body changes. But the bigger the distance between bust and underbust the higher the letter.

• Ah, I see.
      So generally bigger breast = bigger letter.
      But if you have a small breast but are quite perky you can still end up with a large letter.
      I get it now!

• I thought it was the fullness of the cups. I've been fed lies! LIES, JERRY!

• Well yes the letter represents the size of the cups but it is relative to band size

• This is fascinating. I did know that there was overlap between cup "letters" depending on band size, but I didn't know the girls in the photos would be wearing D cup bras. Interesting.

• I'm with @bertmacklinfbi
    Fuck letters! How they fit in my hand or how well they move around is a much better measuring method

• I do the opposite.

I name cups by boob sizes.

• wow thats really interesting...
    i never really cared about boob size though, as long as they are symmetrical im fine

• It's because none of us work at Victoria's secret so we rely off of other people to tell us what big boobs equate to. This is how misinformation spreads.

• VS employees have no idea how to size properly. They're all just typical retail employees.

• Yeah, like I went there once and asked to be sized, and the girl just measured around my torso and skipped the bust measurement. Then she said I was a 34 A which is way too small. Honestly, they're all just there to sell overpriced bras and collect meager paychecks.

• @musicbrain5 then that just furthers my point

• Whattt they're all Ds? O_O

I knew almost nothing about sizing but now I'm just lost.

• Curvy Kate models are all like 32HH. I thought that'd be gigantic but they all just have pretty bit t*ts.

Well, :/ pretty damn big but not gigantic haha :D

• We should do that for penis size if its micro size call it micro size, if its small call it little worm cup, or Asian size, if its average call it average joe, if its long but thin call it night crawler, if its big and thick call it black mumba.

• I don't know shit about boob sizes. Never cared to learn about them and it doesn't matter to me if they are big or small. Like I have no idea how much bigger C cups are than an A cup.

• They can be the exact same size or an A can even be bigger. 38A boobs would technically be bigger than 32Cs

• Well they say most of the women wear the wrong bra size.. but yes those pics surprise me.. but it's assumed bigger letter is the bigger boobs size

• Correct- but cup size is relevant to band size. For example, a 32D is the same as a 34C and a 36B. Each time you go up a band size you go down a cup size end vice versa

• What you said doesn't make sense.

• then i can't explain it i guess

• I got by square yards

• I guess guys do cuz women do? we don't know better. we should actually go by volume or mass

• Size A and B are my favorites by far. Small C's are acceptable.

• My whole life has been turned upside down. Is this true with A cups? Can they look really big? Lol

• They could be big but they'd look small on the person. Cup size is relevant to band size. For example, a 32D is the same size as a 34C, and a 36B, and a 38A.
      The number is how big around the girl is... girls with wider frames and or/heavy ones have bigger band sizes. So yes a 38A could have a cup large enough for a grapefruit but it would be on a very wide woman

• Because we don't talk about numbers when we talk about boob size... it's just not how it works

• Show me your double d's then

What Girls Said 7

• Omg yes. No guy seem to understand that. I'm a 32D and if they see me in a non-wired bikini they're like "you really a D? You look like a C or something". Guys think if you have a D-cup you have large boobies, but it really depends on the shape and inch size.

• you're mixing it up, cup letter is the size of your breast. the numbers are the inches going around.

• Haha and how do you think they get the letter hun? They subtract it from the band. Ergo... cup size is relative to band size

• no need to be patronizing.

it's ok, calm down. ;$

• Yeah I know most people think I'm lying when I say my boobs are 32d. they don't look that big but obviously they aren't that small lol we are the same size :)

• I've been tryna explain this to guys for so long...

• Meh. Then if someone asks I'll just say they're a mouthful.

• Wait. I don't get it anymore. What do the letters stand for then?

• I'm ashamed. I'm a women n i didn't know this. But then again... i don't buy bras very often.

• Wait, I'm a 45C so that means I'm like a B or D in reality?

• Yea, it totally makes sense now! :) thanks

• No problem! I recommend shopping at Bare Necessities they do a much better job with sizing than other retailers:)