Your opinion on make-up: should it be expected? Does it make you a woman? Or does it not matter?

Wearing make-up is something commonly done by many, if not most, women in some form, depending on culture etc.
This question is open to both men and women and what they think.
A younger relative of mine said something about that she felt 'less of a woman' because she doesn't wear make-up often, if at all. I realised I too have often felt this way because I have actively decided not to wear it (unless for special occasions, where it is minimal, or in dire need, i. e. acne, bad skin), despite it being a prominent thing in media and advertisement.
So, do you think all women should be expected to wear make-up? And do you agree that it can make a woman 'less of one' if they don't?

• Yes, it should be expected of all women to wear it.
  • No, it should not be expected.
To cover amounts I mean anything from just one thing like concealer to full on contouring, professional make up artist style.
It is actually quite hard to decide 'most helpful', seeing as you gave many differing opinions and reasons, points about it. I will choose eventually but I will reiterate they were all very good. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly society prefers people without makeup. They say you should naturally have high cheekbones, clear skin, Rodney cheeks and long black lashes.
    But I understand no one looks like that so I don't care if they don't have those features. I have acne an I honestly feel like it makes me less of a beautiful/pretty woman because I choose to wear makeup

• I wouldn't have thought society prefers without due to all the make-up advertisement we see and all those who do wear it. But thanks for your response.

• "Society doesn't like makeup but we like the way it makes us look"

You hit the nail on the head...

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 4

• I think it can be a nice gesture that she's trying to look nice, especially if were in a relationship and its a special occasion but I mean I don't really care. I prefer her to do whatever she's comfortable with.

That being said, there is such a thing as too much makeup and its very easy to overdo.

• I can not stand when a girl wears makeup. It is a false face which gives false representation of who they are.
    I understand that some girls feel it "makes them prettier" but my gf only wears it when we are going to special occasions. I do the same a little. Some foundation or cover up.

I especially hate when you see a girl with fake nails, fake hair, fake lashes, fake eye color, covered in make up, talking about needing to find a REAL man. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

• Passionate answer there. Indeed, hypocrisy often can be when evident in such a way. Thanks for the response.

• Well let's be clear about the fact and any expectations about women wearing makeup are imposed by women, not men. Most men really don't like it when women wear makeup.

• Never made mention that it was one gender or another that 'imposed' it, but thanks for your response.

• I guess you didn't. I stand corrected.

• No way, girls with natural beauty need no makeup.

• Thanks for the response.

What Girls Said 13

• I'm literally 19 and I never wear make-up, however I don't feel less feminine because of it. I take pride in being natural and I don't really want to cover it up Obviously, I look after my skin and sleep well so I don't look like a zombie but I just feel that young girls these days focus too much on make-up and looking 'sexy'. I don't have any problems with girls who do wear make up because at the end of the day, those girls are the pretty girls in the streets. They are enhancing their already pretty face.

• I see what you're saying, thanks for the response.

• I agree with the other girls. No one should HAVE to wear make up. The EU has banned over 1000 ingredients in makeup. The US has banned 8. It's not only time consuming and expensive but dangerous.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't wear make up either though. It's a choice that everyone should be free to enjoy and make for themselves.

• One way to look at it. Thanks for the response.

• I hardly wear it at all.. maybe a touch of mascara and/or eye-liner at work, but even that is not most days... on the weekend it really depends... sometimes I'll wear it, sometimes I won't, but I very, very, veeeery rarely wear full-face make-up - that's special occasion only. The most I wear on any ordinary night out, day at work or date is some eye-shadow, mascara and eye-liner - none of it particularly heavy.

I actually feel more self-conscious when I wear make up than when I don't, because I feel fake and weird...

• I don't think women should be EXPECTED to wear makeup. Not even in the corporate world. There are some people out there, particularly women, who believe that all women should wear makeup when going out (even just to the store) because if she doesn't then it means that she made no effort on her appearance.
    Buying makeup can be expensive and I don't believe ANYONE should be required/expected to wear it if it's not their preference.

• I concur, it is expensive and pointless if you're merely going quickly to the shops. Thanks for the response.

• It really, really bothers me that so often in corporate culture wearing make up is expected of women to "look professional". If I'm clean, my hair is tidy and I'm wearing nice clothes, I'm fucking professional, make up or not!!! grrrr

• I don't think all women should be expected to wear make up.
    I like makeup, I can go a day without and I usually don't over do it but it's a part of my routine. I like to dress up and use make up. I know that my boyfriend like it as well.
    Though, I also have a friend who never wears it because she doesn't feel the need.

• Thank you for the response.

• This is very difficult to answer, because many people state things like "Natural beauty is best" But not everyone has a naturally beautiful face. Makeup can add a lot of highlight and definition to the already good features of a face that would otherwise not be noticed. It's unfortunate that our eyes don't seem attuned to real natural beauty anymore. Regardless, I voted that it should not be expected; I personally only wear makeup in formal situations or "If I feel like it".

• Nicely put, thanks for the response.

• This is a good point - I often hear guys say they prefer a "natural" woman, but I don't think they realize how many women are still wearing some make up even when it appears they are not...

• I only use make up if I go out at night with my friends (which rarely happens), otherwise, I never wear anything and I don't feel less of a woman. Moreover, I changed my style so now I wear more skirts and I feel really femenine and happy with myself. I prefer my face all natural.
    So no, wearing more makeup doesn't make you more of a woman or a better woman. Instead, I think that feelling relies in oneself and not on the things you wear or stop wearing.
    If you like wearing makeup, go ahead. If you like trying new hairstyles, then do it. If you like painting your nails, etc... go ahead and you will be as womanly as any other girl.

• Good answer. Thanks for the response.

• I'm obsessed with natural skincare, oils and whatnot, and it keeps my face presentable (I believe it's true for all people who have no visible abnormalities like drastic asymmetry of the face or deep scars). I used to wear makeup a lot, but all that stuff just sends you into the uncanny valley where eyes look inhumanely large and the skin just appears waxy rather than human if it's done "perfectly". Imperfect makeup is even worse sometimes.

• There is nothing wrong with wearing make up or not wearing make up I can go both ways although I do prefer not wearing makeup I usally just wear my signature lipstick and im good to go but honestly if u dont wear make up or do it doesn't make u any less of a women if anything I think the real issue is when people over do the make up I see that everywhere now days especially with younger girls they all look like they are in there late 20s or 30s and there in high school:/

• Yes, girls in high school do tend to over do it, maybe to feel grown up, but it's often too much for just school. Thanks for the response.

• Let's not pretend we weren't all terrible at doing make up when we were teenagers...

I used to wear super thick eye liner both top and bottom. I have destroyed many pictures...

• No of course not we all had little make up don't s and etc but you never saw it this bad it has become so much worse ask everyone its like the 80s make up but becoming more intense and them the way they dress its ridiculous they all look like they secretly work for a cheap brothel but oh well to each her own.

• I was brought up and taught that "Less Is Often More" .. Something I try to stick to daily.

• Good thing to abide by when wearing it. Thanks for your response.

• I think it shows you made an attempt to look nice. Even if it's just lipsticks

• Its betree quth make up not too much though

• Don't really know what you're trying to say, but I'm guessing something along the lines that all women should wear a little? Sorry if I'm off on that, and thanks for the response.

• I think make up is fun. Some women hate it. It's not expected. although I feel like women should put effort into there appearance in other ways if there not gonna wear make up. If your going for a hike , or lounging around the house then no make up is cool. I don't think it makes you less of a woman to not wear make up , but I do understand how women can feel that way. Women who wear makeup tend to dress up , and there covering up there imperfections so most likely have more confidence.

• Interesting about the confidence part, though I wouldn't think only women who wear make-up are confident. Thanks for your response.