What color is THE DRESS?

you know what i'm talking about.

ITS WHITE AND GOLD

Updates:
NOW ITS BLUE AND BLACK

0|0
10|7

Most Helpful Guy

• There's science behind the reason why some people see black on blue while others are just as certain that they see gold on white.

The simple answer is that the picture is an optical illusion.

Objects reflect light at certain wavelengths, or colors, and the human brain determines the color of an object by taking in its reflected light. But this perception can be thrown off balance by the color of nearby objects.

With the photo of the dress, the surrounding colors are so muddled that the brain isn't sure what to make of the dress itself.

As Wired. com points out, a digital analysis of the dress photo shows that one of the spots of black trim is actually orange in the photo.

Thus, people who perceive the surrounding area as dark are likely to see the blue in the dress as white and the black colors as gold. It all just depends on the manner that the brain perceives and processes color.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• i see purple and muddy orange. but its actually a combination of many colors. stand far enough away from a black and white tile wall, and it will seem like just a grey splotch. do the same with a yellow and red tile wall and it will seem orange. draw a thick enough green box on a grey background and the center will seem red, even if it has no hue. do the same on a red background, and it will throw off your entire perception of color depth as a whole. its the fact that they're both complimentary colors muted to middle grey, very little difference in value which is sort of vital into accurately detecting hue and its a compounding effect of a bunch of different optical illusions. still, did you know the color pink had a bit of blue in it? When its whiter it just seems like an off white with a bit of reddish yellow, which turns to pinkish and then to blue, because all the reds are held in the highlights and all the blues are held in the shadows, and the gamma is mostly desaturated. A good colorist can kind of mindfuck you honestly

0|0
    0|0
  • Why is it such a big deal?
    Anyway, we can't say unless we see it for real with our own eyes. Why? Because colors can look very very different in pictures because of lighting and camera settings.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's white and only

0|0
    0|0
  • white and gold anyone who says otherwise is in denial

0|0
    0|0
  • It's blue and black! Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • white and gold, its pretty stupid

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 10

• It's black and blue seriously Google it even the store and the makers of the dress say it's black and blue

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol, when I first saw it I saw white and gold and after looking at it again I saw blue and black. Go figure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ugly. The dress is the color of ugly.

1|0
    0|0
  • wait what? what dress lol

0|0
    0|0
    • oh i googled it. it's most definitely blue and black.. i don't see white and gold on any part of that dress

• I see blue and black!

0|0
    0|0
  • White and gold

0|0
    0|0
  • What's dead should stay dead. But it is actually blue/gold

0|0
    0|0
  • THIS FUCKING DRESS! really? its not black and blue

0|0
    0|0
  • White and gold

0|0
    0|0
  • Me and my older brother saw white and gold, my little brother said blue and black without me even giving him options or telling him about the story. They say it has to do with which hemisphere of the brain processes the light or something.

0|0
    0|0