What's the whole thing with the Black and Blue/ Gold and white dress?

I saw it on local news and national news. It's everywhere. Isn't there REAL news we should be discussing? Not what color a fucking dress is?
I said this in an opinion so im just going to copy and paste:
okay here's the thing with the dress. It's in a fucking shadow. I'm sure if you put it in direct light it will look the same to everyone. People argue about colors all the time. The other day I went to school with Dark blue nail polish, some people said they were black, others said blue. Everyone sees colors differently. Once me and my mom started arguing about whether my shirt was a hot pink or red. I see it as Gold and White but when I Look at it quickly I see black and blue for a quick second. It's all about lighting, angles, and how you see colors in general.

I saw one theory where it was an emotional thing where people who are sad see it as black and blue, then people who are happy see it as gold and white. I guess it's kind of like asking people "Is this glass half empty or half full?"
Not 100% sure if I believe this theory
THE REAL COLOR: it is in fact Black and blue. There are other pictures of it in regular lighting and on actual people and it really is black and blue. Its just the background, shadows and our individual perception that make it look white and gold to some people (including me)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm pretty sure it's individual perception. I showed it to my parents in the same room at the same time with the same lighting and they both said different things.

What Guys Said 6

• i have no idea but i'm bored to hear aout this stupid dress all day long.

i wanna tear it up!

• It's obviously black and blue, I don't know why people are acting like they've never heard of bad lighting...

• It's blue and black, end of the matter!

• It's the lighting in the room. If you cover botg sides of the picture with your hands so that you don't see the light, it'll be black and blue.

• Yes on "Inside Edition" the dress is Black & Blue

• 0|0

What Girls Said 10

• I agree this is such a stupid discussion. At first I never even heard of it and then someone on GAG asked a question about it after they had apparently already had done so.

Then I saw it on SNL and now the news like is there seriously nothing more important to talk about.

But to answer your question it has nothing to do with the lighting you could have it anywhere and in any form of lighting and you'll either see it in black and blue or white and gold. It has to do with our eyesight some of us see dimmer colors while others see brighter. It's just our individual perception no one's ever going to fully agree on it and this topic should've died out by now.

• It's interesting because what I see is not what all others see.. which now leads me to think that maybe other things as well are different in my eyes when one assumes we all see the same thing, wether we like it or not... When I initially saw the dress I saw beige color with goldish brown.. and in an instant I saw it all blue with black lace... and it just didn't turn back to beige color... it's just blue now forever!! and my cousin sat here arguing about how in the world do my eyes see blue if there is no blue... ... o.0 it's just interesting.. that's why it made news... and that dress is worth a lot now!! crazy stuffs!! and I don't think it has anything to do with happiness or sadness.. but more to do with how your brain perceives it irrelevant to emotion or to what you want to see, your brain just assumes things and tells you "THiS" is the color... and that's the color you see.

• Looks blue and gold to me.

I read a whole article about this. It depends on the light the dress is seen in and who is seeing it. It isn't that anyone is colorblind just for seeing it differently, it's just how it registers to the person's brain. It really does depend on light, though. The article showed the same dress at different times during the day and in different locations and it looked different in every picture.

• I know right!! I always thought it was black/blue but other said gold/white

just watch this video!! lets all find out if i was right or wrong
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

• Thanks for the video! It really helped haha

• glad i could help!!! i always thought it was black/blue but people kept telling me it was gold/white. I was :O oh my!! really!! this video made me realized that i was always right :)

• It's as if they've never seen optical illusion before.. O. o

• I think that dang dress took too much precious time away from me and many more blame the internet for making something to stupid viral and a "thing". :O

• I think it's so stupid how big this thing became. I can't believe it was in the news! They don't report on actual serious things we need to know about, yet they report on this crap? That's the United States for ya!

• I see blue and black

... and it has nothing to do with your moood

• Differences in vision are worth discussing, it's a valid part of biology...

• But we've all discussed this a million times before. It goes on in every day life. It's not worth being on national news when there are real problems going on.

• It's interesting to people, if they don't put lighter stories on the news, nobody will be watching when they show the real news part.

• It's fucking gold and white lmao