How would you describe 'culture appropriation'?

I know this white girl who wears bindis. I asked her why she wore them and, I don't remember her exact words, but she said something about it representing her third eye and her spirituality, not just some decoration. Is this considered culture appropriation? Why or why not? What's your definition of it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I asked my Muslim friend (girl) about "hijabs" because I thought that they were forced to wear them. She said that they're not forced to wear a hijab "If I remember right".

Which lead to her saying that anyone could wear a "hijab", but they should be prepared to be called a Muslim OR thought of in that manner. So I'm guessing that your friend can wear it or whatever, since it's, comes down to er intentions for wearing it.

• Screw my typing grrrr

• Which lead to her saying that anyone could wear a "hijab", but that they should be prepared to be called a Muslim OR thought of in that manner. So I'm guessing that your friend can wear it or since it comes down to her intentions for wearing it.

What Guys Said 1

• her 3rd eye? WTF?

is she a Myst or sth?

What Girls Said 2

• Cultural appropriation is when another group copies something from another group and doesn't respect it. Eg: wearing Native American headdresses at music festivals.

However if she's respecting the culture and promoting the cultural use of the custom there's not a problem. Other cultures have so many cool traditions and differences. It would be awful if we couldn't implement those wonderful ideas in our own culture.

• I would say she's appropriating. I wore a bindi once and my Indian friend felt offended because she said I didn't know the history and culture of India and that it's not all fun and games, so I guess this would apply to your friend.