Why are photo editing techniques described purely as a method of concealing insecurity?

I'm here to make a point and seek different perspectives. Not to show myself off. id just like to make that clear.=]

I've always loved photography, of anything and everything around me. All I'm wondering, is why photo editing isn't considered art anymore. Merely observing the potential in an image or any other artistic medium to become something better. that's all.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2u7osyf.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/17cyut.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/mj8x00.jpg

maybe people like unedited photos better? or maybe some of you would rather see an image that hasn't been untouched? I'm not sure, but it's always intrigued me, the variety of angles people see this from.

so, what's YOUR take on this?

PS: again, i wanna stress that i'm not really here to argue or disrespect other opinions. Im just genuinely curious as to how this mindset came about, so i hope no one's been offended by this question or assumes I'm looking for attention.

thanks guys.

cool, fair enough. thanks.
lmao whoops. ^^

Most Helpful Girl

• It's the same as makeup, if you wear it then your some freak who hates themselves. People are just ridiculous

• this is actually the most awesome comparison. i never thought of it that way, thanks.

• yeah seriously. -.- and i feel that having to EXPLAIN this now is pretty sad, because people can be so judgmental.

• It's ridiculous

What Guys Said 21

• I know I always post pictures of myself on here, but this time I have a reason for it. This is me like in 98% of my pictures no filter/shading etc just my natural look WITH A real filter, as I like to call it (sweat, shade. sun etc) you know how I'd look in real life i1127.photobucket.com/.../IMGP1426-1.jpg I'm the type of guy who likes to get "WHAT HE SAW". So that is why I never use filters/hide behind them

Now you have a rare photo of me using a filter besides B/W (use that 99% of the time) if I'm using a filter i1127.photobucket.com/.../...8ed8-74fdf70d0036.jpg in this photo I look relatively the same. But it just doesn't feel right for me since I'm not used to using them

Now my point is this, I guess it's just the intentions behind it. I mean these days no one has what most traditional people would have called NATURAL BEAUTY back then. Since it's just filters, fucking plastic surgery, and lots of make-up ( I know they did it back then by the way ^^) etc BUT without those 3 things they'd be average looking at best which is sad.

If someone looks good without it I have no problem/nor care BUT I have a problem with it when people have to rely on those things to get them likes on social media THEN you see them in real life and think WTF HAPPEN TO her MAN she as hot on Instagram

• I know some people who literally have a filter on all of their pics on social media like wtf LOL

• yass 😎😎😎

• ~j. B.
    You asked a very good question,

#1. There's difference in the intentions behind editing these photos (between the first two photos and the third one). The first two photos makes you a hypocrite (literally makes you to LOOK LIKE a hypocrite) because you are enhancing your looks to become more beautiful/charming. While in case of third one, I bet nobody can criticise you for editing.

#2. It isn't considered art anymore because nowadays everybody is a photographer/photoshopper. So by doing such things, people would misconstrue you as a glory hunter. You really need mad skills to shine out from this horde.

#3. People like unedited photos better for two reasons:-
    -They can edit the original photos themselves.
    -In unedited portrait, people can see that how the person looks in reality.

PS: I liked the third one very much. :-)

• thanks.

well, not to brag, but i think i look just as fine in both pics. just one is different than the other. but because that comes off across that way to others, my own intentions become vague, which is the point ur making.
      the thing here tho, is that I'm not so much caring what people think of me, but what people think of these techniques in general.

thanks for ur input=] and I'm glad u like it!

• 'You' is subjective here.
      I'm saying that YOU are insecure or tyro and even you are looking bad or something.
      -> You completely ignored my point #2. <-
      They accuse you for being fake which you misconstrue as your SKILLS ('art' in your language) being accused.
      Nowadays, 'the art of editing' has deteriorated because of the introduction of 'auto' mode. Professionals examine so many factors like ambient occlusion, overall exposure etc before integrating. But the whole process became easier because of 'auto' feature, now we just need to tap the 'auto' button.
      You can't expect the appreciation from naive people.
      And yes if I didn't appreciate your first two pics it doesn't mean that I disliked these.
      "If you don't love something, it doesn't mean you hate it" <- Simple law of logical reasoning.

PS: I couldn't even differentiate between these two if you didn't put them side by side.
      Good job stay confident.

• I'm NOT* saying that :/

• I use filtering a lot in family pictures, and in pictures I find of ancestors for genealogy. The genealogy pictures usually require a heck of a lot of work beyond just filtering. So I definitely appreciate the improvements such work can do. But honestly, looking at your photos, I generally prefer the unfiltered ones. Don't know your actual hair color, but it looks like it should be lighter, but the filtered changes it to black.

In the top photo, your features are bleached out in the filtered one. In the second one, your eye is merged into your hair in the filtered one, though getting rid of the yellow face is a definite improvement. And you were wearing a blue skirt or pants, and that is now black.

In the third photo, the filtered makes the shadows harsher. The rose is darkened and not as colorful and apealling in the filtered photo.

I appreciate what you said and your attempts, but I just see too many things that detract from the filtered photos.

• I can only offer one portion of what you may be referring to here but I'll throw it in anyway.

I follow fitness stuff online and people hate photo editing because the companies are selling off of edited photos of a physique that's not legitimately representing the guy they're modeling. It's like how makeup and clothing companies model women and tweak them. So they'll make a guy look leaner and more toned than he really is so they can sell off products. These kids get mislead into buying off of them thinking they'll get as lean as a guy who is not even as lean and buff as his photos make him look.

• It is because that is commonly what they are used at. Also it could be that people seem to omit that some or many photos they have taken are indeed edited. If people were more forthcoming with the filters and shop then society would be more accepting me thinks

I also think that and ideal has been set and unsurprisingly many of the edited photos and picture seem to be edited towards it. Where is the art in every thing trying to be the same or living to ONE ideal

• yeah. so you think people should actually say they are edited in order for society to accept them more? at least that's what i gather, which is a fair point.
      yeah, meeting an ideal, like photoshopped models for example. true. but the thing is, there's no such thing as one idea=/ like as for me, i really dislike most of the modelling industry, because it isn't a representation of the world, so i diverge from that and create my own ideal. me against me.

• You do you! As long is you are not intentionally misrepresenting yourself then be liberal with your art

• I'm willing to bet online dating got that stereotype going. Too many people have been duped by strategically altered photos, so now everybody is a little bit more critical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBfcd9XXv3k

• LMAO at the 3rd girl and his reaction LOLOL

• @mistninja314
      Lol realtalk every time she drink from a river she impales a fish

• She bashing that rib, like a fucking pit bull.. with her built tough face ass lol.

• I think it depends on the artist or photographer in question I mean being a painter of a classic style I still think photography is an art, not as much of an art as painting because it does not require as much skill or attention to detail as painting does. That being said photography is extremely important to painting. Arranging your set up with just the right light, shadow and arrangement of the table cloth, silver the fruit and capturing it so that you can later project that over a canvas and tracing everything down to the slightest detail then painting over it in layers month after month after month, some oil paintings take close to a year or even years. But it is not a well done photograph that looks like a painting but rather a well done painting that is so well done that it looks like a photograph that is what we painters aspire to achieve. So even though photography is not as much of an art as painting it is vital to it.

• I guess I'll leave my opinion consider how I've already made comments here :P

I can definitely appreciateits its intention (or lack there of) in art

• "why photo editing isn't considered art anymore"

The answer lie in the question, photo editing isn't an art but simply part of an art. Photo-editing is widely used in photography and digital media but it remains a "technique" not an "art".

As to what is art and what isn't, editing a selfie isn't art, it's just using a technique to make yourself look better. The reasons for that can be wide and none would be good or bad.

• i didn't mean to classify it as a branch of art, so ur taking it really literally lol. so techniques is basically what i meant.

anyway, with all due respect, this doesn't answer my question. ur defining art.

• Sure but I am not sure if it will really help...

Aside from the obvious lack of photography's knowledge, From what I can see your main issue in photo editing is pixel burning. It is waaayyy too bright. Obviously it makes skins more smooth and give some effects but it also kills the details, you would have a much better results by understanding light balance and why levels are so important. When applying filters you should rather focus on fixing the photography unbalance before doing anything else. I would recommend recovering the skin ton and lights and then apply some higher contrast as a first, later on you can enhance it if you learn some good painting skills and more advanced technique.

I didn't know that... On the other hand people always tend to pick the "easy" answer rather than the logical ones.

• probably not, but i like to learn from others more knowledgable anyway.

very interesting. well I'm not gonna obsess trying to 'perfect' this, but ill take those things into consideration for sure, because it's fun=]

and that's true. thanks for ur input.

• You're fineeee either way.

• My man fart, just over her spitting some truth as usual

• Thanks man, u kno, typical game

Kiss the right cheek, scratch the right back, caress the right...

Lol jk, it just happened tnx

• Lol, tnx banana

• If it's for artistic purposes I'd say: use all photoshop techniques you know!
    Obviously, if the purpose of the pic is to document something, than it's better not to photoshop the pic... for obvious reasons.
    For example the pic where your skin colour was changed... both pics are beautiful but only the left one is you, as you are!
    Oh, and you don't need filters to look good, let that be clear :-)

• Well, if I had to hazard a guess it would be because a lot of people think of photo editing as manipulating images to get a result that is not possible. (photoshopping models for example) So, a lot of people see it in a bad light. Also maybe since it has become so common that anyone can do it, it is not seen as arty any more?

• Because its not showing the real thing, although filtering isn't that big of an issue other things that girls do in photo editing is like fixing blemishes, wrinkles, cropping and even photo-shopping body sizes which there are women out there who do is.

• so what if it isn't the real thing tho? doesn't mean it isn't the real 'thing' in itself. like, it's still me, and it's still a rose. not in a deceptive way, but in a different way. unless people think the 2 r drastically different that they'd rather the edited versions:P

yeah all that other stuff is quite stupid to me. i think our flaws make us unique and people are actually fascinated by them. my role model for this is a model with vitiligo named winnie harlow.

• no not really. it's a change of colour scheme too.

• Oh okay then never mind that just seems like false advertising

• basically i believe you look better in "no filter" pics

• I like the Natural look of picture no matter what it is i guess just use to it lol

• Is this one of those rate question questions hahahah😝

• because its been used for that. simple

• No filter for ugly

• Because it is technology,

• willing to elaborate?

• Human is not natural to give people more surprise, except no one can do it, so can be called art, my personal point of view

• The really bad examples are when people use... shall we say, imaginative angles and cropping techniques to hide the fact that they weigh 300 pounds when they take their profile picture for a dating site.

• It's not all that, but you sure don't need any filter with your looks 😉

What Girls Said 5

• There are probably multiple reasons. So many people edit their photos these days. It used to be that only professionals had the tools to edit their pictures so it was considered more of an art. Now though, the technology is available for anyone who wants to use it. Photoshop is widespread as is the use of filters and other editing techniques.

This leads to my next point, a lot of people feel that edited pictures make the person look "unreal" compared to how that person looks in reality. So, they think the pictures are just fake and that's why they call the person insecure.

That's mainly why I don't use filters on my pictures anymore because I used to get accused of being "insecure" and manipulating my pictures to "appear more attractive." So now I don't do anything to my pictures. And even still, some people have accused me of editing them but I mean, if I was going to edit my pictures, my dark under eye circles would certainly be gone. Haha!

And of course, there's a difference between editing selfie pictures and editing pictures of other objects. I'm sure no one cares or will say anything negative when you edit a picture like the third one you put in your question. People have a different view of that compared to pictures like the first and second ones of yourself.

Anyway, just my two cents. Lol

• I love messing about with photos, especially the ones taken on my phone, they often need a bit of fiddling to get the composition right and enough light in the shot, filters can really help bring out some of the original beauty of the subject.

• The only time I feel a little irritated with edited photos is when they are of historical things. I like looking at historical photos, but I like seeing them untouched. I also like seeing pictures of abandoned places. I look at pictures from urban explorers who go around and take pictures of abandoned houses, buildings, houses, towns or anything. I just want to be able to see the stuff in the natural state, not edited. Although I don't get to the point where it makes me angry. I still look at them anyway.

I think when it's of a person, guys want to see your natural beauty and girls might have some kind jealousy issues. Girls tend to be harsh with each other as it is, and then they see an edited version of you, they want to point it out and be rude about it.

• oh yeah thats a fair point. i personally dont believe everything should b filtered either.
      yeah women just tend to put each other down a lot in general, and guys will just criticise, so ur right there too.
      well thanks for ur input=]

• I have never edited any of my photos. I prefer them to be as organic as possible :)

• Haha "natural" looking filters are the best! Also, you're really pretty!