Hair Stereotypes - Blonde, Brunette, Redhead

Redhead's are supposed to be fiery temptresses with a higher than normal libido. Blondes are supposed to be flaky but fun. And brunettes are supposed to be intelligent and serious.

Is there anything to these stereotypes? Are there more that I am not aware of?

My boyfriend's own mother judged me before she even met me based on my hair colour. She saw a picture of me and said to my boyfriend, "Aren't redheads supposed to be easy?" I have also had my best friend's step-mother tell her she shouldn't be my friend since I am a Jew (since all redheads must be Jewish, of course). In any case - feel free to share prejudices you have experienced based on your hair colour or any stereotypes that you associate with the different colours of hair out there :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Stereotypes are bs.

I'm a blond, yet I'm ALWAYS on time. Punctuality is very important to me and has literally been engrained in my blood, thanks to my parents. I'd hardly consider myself dumb, as the stereotypes go. It all depends on how you carry yourself... I know plenty of people who abide by their stereotypes in an effort to be more "likable" - which I think is completely absurd.

I've had many professors crack "dumb blond" jokes while in the middle of teaching just because of few of his students, including myself, possessed blond hair. I just laugh, sometimes they are humorous, however it makes me wonder what it's doing to the rest of the class's perception of blonds. Could it be effecting them at all? Who knows.

Plus hair color isn't natural anymore. People are constantly dabbling with different hair colors on themselves - just because they felt like it. And that's fine, to each their own.

And that's just WRONG to be anti-semetic. We're in a day and age where we should be progressing as a human species rather than regressing. Look at Hitler, yes he was successful as a leader, however the rest of the world (excluding japan and italy) hated, despised him and thought him to be clinically insane and was promptly taken down. People seriously want to take after that? That is absolutely, utterly disgusting. And I hope they get what's theirs to realize that they're completely, undoubtedly in the wrong.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't know about stereotypes, but I did get my fair share of 'firecrotch' shots growing up. Never been thought to be jewish though. I would think with the strong willed stubborn nature of many(not all) redheads they'd be the least 'easy'. In any case everyone is their own individual we all share some traits and characteristics, and any coincidence between physical attributes, is just that, a coincidence. I wouldn't let it get to you, the opinions of people that judge so easily should be held in in extremely low regard. One thing I have noticed though, that is slightly annoying, is all the blondes vs brunettes debates that leave out, in my opinion, the best option, which would be the redheads.

• Minus the extra 'in' o.O

• Oh man - same here same here. The sun is absolutely my worst enemy. 50 SPF every hour! It's a must... I get sun burns in the shade -_- so unfair.

• Yeah, there is a reason I'm not a morning person, or for that matter a person that likes to be out in any sort of daylight lol. I'd sleep through it all if I could. People think me to be a vampire with such habits and pale skin heh. By the way, 'good morning' ....worst oxymoron ever, in my opinion. As if such a thing actually exists. Ha!

• That's racist! LOL Anyways, while some stereotypes are true to a point, these ones are generally not true from my experience. And besisdes you can't really tell anything anymore because girls change their hair color like every other week so yah there is no real basis for these stereotypes. Another thing is moms can be jealous when their little boy grows up and have another woman to take care of him instead of her, so I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

• "Another thing is moms can be jealous when their little boy grows up and have another woman to take care of him instead of her, so I wouldn't let it bother you too much."

I never thought of it that way, but you make a very good point :)

• There's nothing to these stereotypes.

My wife is blond and a sex-crazed homemaker who was in Mensa.

I had a red-headed (non-Jewish) girlfriend for whom I was hard-pressed to get a kiss in edgewise, let alone make out with.

Ted

• I don't get that blonde stereotype at all. I think blondes are wiser than they may seem.

Red hair usually denote fieriness, yes, but also insanity.

Brunettes are temperate and a little morose in my worldview.

• Haha, so your saying you wouldn't date a redhead because you think she would be insane? I personally think redheads are sweet, my best friend is one :)

• Lol - so many down arrows lol. I +1 you for your honesty. Besides, you didn't necessarily say that the stereotype is canon and their are no deviations. As a redhead - I take no offense to the proclamation of redheads being insane :) (on Facebook two of my friends had a conversation that started initially with the admittance of the craziness of redheads, followed by the admittance of the craziness of women. I just think it is funny)... XD

• See, there we go. This is why redheads are awesome. Dropping words like 'canon', and properly too.

• I had no idea nor have ever heard of these stereotypes. However, now I'm mildly curious. ;)

In all seriousness, stereotypes are just that... stereotypes. They are not entirely true until someone makes them so. For instance, I'm a mix and look Hispanic. Therefore some people assume I should speak fluent Spanish. I don't, so you could say I break away from that stereotype.

• 1. I have never met someone that is Jewish with red hair, so I never knew that stereotype existed.

2. I never understood stereotypes, especially based on hair color. The way a person acts doesn't depend on what color their hair is.

• stereotypes were born in a basis of truth

red on the head fire in the bed

blondes... most not all certainly do fit that... not all there I'm an easy whore stereotype

and brunettes... my personal favorite... I don't know love it...

brunettes with curly hair... yeah...

and then redheads...

and then intelligent blondes...

• I agree - I feel like, while stereotypes may not have any basis in individual cases, they were created for a reason. My husband and I used to talk about it. We agreed that generalizations are usually born from recognizing trends. Then again, I suppose that could be a generalization in itself - some generalizations are born of ignorance.

• Honestly, I think the whole stereotype of that is just stupid. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

• That's horesh*t. A man with no legs is going to have a fundamentally different outlook on life from someone who does.

Hair emanates from the head, the seat of all higher consciousness. The fabric and substance of hair says all sorts about the brain underneath.

• Hm. I must have a dirty brain since everybody tells me I have dirty blond hair.

• @lanky1 - rofl :) I guess that must mean that my brain is frizzy... but only when it is humid outside :D

• People stereotype me of having a high temper and high libido, which can be true but I haven't lost my temper in so long

• I can have a really mean temper/be really feisty if you push the right buttons. It's better now than it used to be :D

When I was a child I gave a guy a bloody nose for making fun of me... he never made fun of me after that rofl (I've since learned that violence isn't the answer lol).

• Eh I think most things are true of most people. Honestly, who hasn't lost their temper at one point? We all have our good and bad days :D I think if we are honest with ourselves we find out that we are not as unique as we think - or at least that has been my experience any way - I'm horrible at self-report surveys that ask you to pick out words that describe yourself... I feel I've been all the words at one point or another "selfish, self-righteous, argumentative, giving, humble, proud..." etc.

• Stereotypes are just too broad to describe people. they don't work. they are just words redifining the 8 basic emotions with different levels of intensity

• Where the heck did the red headed jew thing come from, anyway stereotypes are dumb, and not true at all

• It's actually not an uncommon belief. Type in red head and jew into google... there are several hits on the subject. Also - my step-father-in-law calls me his red headed daughter in law as an offshoot of the "red headed step daughter"... lol no love

• you forgot black, odd colors (pink etc..) colors...and different shades of each one you listed

• I usually throw black and brunette together. But I suppose you are right - black hair can be stereotyped in certain ways as well (gothic). I'm not aware of stereotypes for people with dyed hair, but definitely wouldn't mind some enlightenment :D

• Lol @iwbym nah - either way you are breaking a stereotype :D I've never met a boring person tbh. Every one is interesting in their own way :)

• And no 13, that doesn't make you gothic. thank you question asker, at least someone thinks in interesting

• why do you even care about stereotypes.

people are super ignorant and dumb. as soon

as they see a black guy they assume he steals

or is good at basketball. as soon as someone sees

an asian, they are automatically good at math

your boyfriends own mother is also some type of moron.

judging people based on their hair color.

• People make stereotypes because they are useful.

• Oh, I hardly care about stereotypes really. People will always think what they want of me - good or bad. I asked more out of curiosity. Though some might say that stereotypes originate from some small truth. I know some one explained it to me some where that stereotypes are merely recognition of trends. Judgment has its time and place... it's just that it is often times misused - imo.

What Girls Said 20

• Well, a study in Germany suggests that women with red hair have sex more often than blondes or brunettes. And when blonde/brunette women dye their hair red, it's supposedly a sign to their partners that they want more passion. I don't know how true any of that is though. I've also never met a Jew with red hair. Most of the redheads I know are Irish, and there's my Polish great-grandmother, but I would never assume that someone with red hair must be Jewish.

In movies, blondes tend to play the more delicate, "damsel in distress" roles while women with dark hair play the mysterious femme fatales. Those are the only other stereotypes I can think of.

There's nothing to stereotypes though. Everyone we meet fits some category that we already have stereotyped first impressions about, it's an automatic response, some of us just follow them more than others. (Guess who did a project on first impressions for psychology, haha)

• Hey, I'm glad you put this up here. Regardless of what people think, discrimination and stuff really does go on. I'm naturally blond though I do get highlights every few months or so. People tend to think just because I'm blond that I'm not intelligent or capable of doing something important. Many guys also think at first that I might be really easy, just by being blondes. I think in general, brunettes get the most respect. Though to some extent, I can see why. Usually promiscuous girls, who are easy and stuff tend to die their hair blond, because in a way they think that's hotter, so it just screws up the whole system hehehe. Well that's what I think ;).

• Hahaha. Everyone knows that brunettes are the new stupid, redheads are still totally hot and blonds are quickly becoming the smartest and most confident of them all. Dyed hair is usually a dead give-away that the person underneath is hollow and prone to scamper off after shiny objects.

No, seriously though does this question really have to be asked? It's not what you have but how you use it. Every person IS according to how they behave and NOT what they have. Regardless of how many people realize this. Take for example your best friend's step mother. It sounds like she behaves like a total idiot. It's really too bad that she thinks that way about you and I hope you and your friend can still be fine.

• Oh yeah - we are still besties. My Boyfriend just thinks she is silly - she doesn't much like her step mother any way. Just wanted to ask other people what they thought about the subject :D it's good to know not every one follows stereotypes! :D

• Believing in stereotypes off of hair color is just silly. What kind of mom would say such a thing to her son? That is plain creepy.

• People who judge others on their hair colour are idiots. I always get the dumb blonde comments/jokes. People think I'm easy etc etc. It's just really frustrating to have people think they know what you are like just because of your hair colour, people that don't know me don't know anything about me even though they may claim to just because I'm blonde. It really really annoys me how any single person out there that hasn't talked to me can think they know anything about me-they don't know sh*t about me until they talk to me.

• i died my hair red once, wanted to since I was 7. All of a sudden guys assumed they could come up to me with a sexual innuendo and expect me to respond by taking all my clothes off right there and f*** them till the sun comes up. When I politely as possible declined their offer, they called me a stuck up, tease. Oh more than once, I got called fire crotch. With black hair I was emo, and my natural light brown made me the smart, and boring girl. Damn stereotypes.

• I've been called blondie countless times

I have green eyes and light ash brown hair and white complected , but I'm Mexican, so people usually get surprised when I speak spanish! lol

• While I think these stereotypes are stupid I'm a redhead and I'm very fiery and opinionated. However, I'm also intelligent AND fun so I don't take these stereotypes very seriously :)

• I find it funny that you are a red head and your username is Pancakes. We are both breakfast foods!!! lol (yours is healthier) *random*

I am definitely fiery when I am debating a subject I am well versed in. And also VERY fiery when my friends are being attacked in any way *uber protective*

• Hah, well we sound like we have quite a bit in common :)

• people who judge others based on hair color ar plain dum-dums. No offense to your boyfriends mother of course, ;p

• You don't want to date someone whose mother is prejudice...and if all red-heads are fiery in bed that doesn't mean you're a slut!As for your religion...it shouldn't matter as much as your character does.Bottom line these people are the ones with the issues, not you, and it sounds like it starts from the parenting!

• Haha - well she is my mother-in-law now. She's not a bad person because of her prejudice - just misguided. I've come to love her in my own way. :)

• I think parents can get over just about anything to keep their babies in their lives. Ultimately, and for the most part, parents just want the best for their children and they want to continue to watch them grow into old age. So long as they see that their children are independent, healthy, and happy, they are willing to put up with all else - perhaps with some griping. It's not true of all parents, but a lot I would say. Also depends on if you're a minor - the parent/child relationship goes

• Through quite a bit of changes as you enter into your adult life. You end up learning how to treat one another more as equals or at the very least as adults. And eventually roles may even end up reversing, with you taking care of your parents.

• nvr heard of the jewish redhead stereotype O.o, only stereotype I ever hear about is blondes

• You've only ever heard of blonde stereotypes? O_o Perhaps you should do a search on redheads then. When I look up info on red hair(I am a redhead), I found nothing but negativity towards us like how we would all be better off dead and that we are soulless, bloodsucking daywalkers. That's just a very small bit of what I came across during my search.

• Kick a ginger day is even worse...feel sorry for that guy.

• I remember hearing about a redheaded woman who was stabbed to death over in the UK. When asked why he did it, the murderer he said that he didn't like redheads. I don't think he was punished for what he did. }:( Some people even think that we are alien-human hybrids! Where do people come up with this sh*t?

• I married a Redhead and he follows the stereotype its kinda funny

• Red heads are jew! WTF! Red heads are Irish.

You know what's amazing about hair colour bias, it's changeable. Remind the idiots that bring that up.

Mothers always judge. Don't let it get to you, make a comment about her hair colour.

• I think a lot of guy steriotype using hair color. I'm dirty blonde sometime a little bit of strawberry and a lot of people (GUYS) try to give me the wrong change.

• I think all of those stereotypes are wrong I'm brunette but I'm not serious yeah I'm smart but no genius if anything I'm crazy, a little carefree and definitely fun and I'm definitely more of a hot head than any red head I know. Which is a lot. So I don't think these steroetypes are true, maybe for some people but then again everyone is there own person. And all red heads shouldn't be Jewish either, my dads a red head and he's baptist so hair color sterotypes aren't true the may apply to some people but definitely not everyone

• well I am only on here because my best friend was up set because of all these blond jokes and stuff because she is a natural blond, and I am a natural brunette and I wanted to make her feel better about some brunette stereotpyes but there's not really any on here

• Hair sterotypes are bullsh*t. The majority of people that have Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead now-a-days, have color in their hair. Don't live by hair steriotypes, you'll be disapointed.

• black

• Brunette.

• I'm a brunette and I'm considered serious and intelligent.

I can only speak for myself but I will say the two easiest girls I've ever known were redheads.

For a mother to judge you like that though, and off just a photo no less, is beyond ridiculous. Shame on her.