What do you think of the French?

I'm interested in European languages and cultures but most specifically French and Italian. I feel like non-French people often like to make fun of the French. I read some books about them from people who traveled there.

What do you guys think of their culture and people?

• J'adore le culture de Francais! (It's great)
  • They're sooo over-rated!
  • I prefer my barbarian culture.
  • Meh...
This french video is so sexy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N3J6fE-0JI

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been to several European countries and I've been to France 4 times or so and the French are the most inhospitable and arrogant people of Europe . Nobody wants to help a tourist. They were always very rude and refused to speak a word of English , because "their language was a world language once" *almost throws up*. They also don't want to speak English when they visit an other country.
    I do like the nature and culture overall though. Only not the people. The nature in France is beautiful and the cute burgundian villages are beautiful as well.
    I prefer Belgium though. They have a more open-mindset and they also have burgundian villages and the waffles are great. They're a lot nicer, but a little dumb, but they think Dutch people are cheap haha.

• that's unfortunate though when I last went to China I met some French people in Shanghai (business people) and they all spoke English . When I was in Beijing I met a French guy who spoke flawless Mandarin. It was crazy to see. Perhaps there are a few exceptions?
      That's too bad the people are not known to be friendly X ( Though I'm sure if people visited America with bad English the Americans would get annoyed too. Or any country for that matter. Perhaps they're acting normal?

• @Lonewolf_1296 we do have those. We're pretty harsh with our swear words. We often combine them with diseases like cancer (only low class people though). So you don't say whore, you say cancer whore to make the effect stronger. So yes some people use cancer to swear. There's a whole campaign about it to make people stop doing that.

Overall you can't fully understand German if you hear it for the first time. Some things are alike like hond is in German hund. But some things are not alike at all and the grammar is quite different. The only thing that's pretty much the same is the order of a sentence. We're better at English though because we hear a lot more about it. We hear it on tv, read it online etc.

• Excuse me if I digress or jump from topic to topic, you're an interesting person and if there's something I don't run out of is questions. I could use google but what better than asking you, who lives there. Something I don't get clear is locally, what do you call yourselves, Nederlander... Dutch, Hollander? The US distorts a lot of stuff and as I mentioned before, countries like mine now see the world the way the US portrays it. Another question, how is your school system divided? ie. 1-6 primary school, 7-9 secondary, 10-12 preparatory.

What Girls Said 15

• Nah, they're cool. I get a couple french people fairly often who visit at my work. For some reason foreign people like going to the restaurant I work at.

• I've never really had a big attraction to France or the French culture, but I also don't have an aversion to it. French isn't even a language that I really want to learn. I LOVE listening to it being spoken though and love the accent. Being in Quebec was heavenly. I got asked to dance in French (my Canadian friend had to translate) and I was basically swooning. I personally don't hate on the French I really just don't care. French food and wine is the bomb... I guess I just don't really care one way or another. French history is pretty interesting though. I care more about Ireland, England, Scotland, Sweden, Poland, Canada, USA, Germany, Austria, Australia, and Thailand personally and really want to learn German, Polish, and Spanish. I say ignore other people and study what you love!

• I like the language. The language is beautiful and flows easily.

The culture... not so much.

I mean, mostly in regards to food and how they treat their animals I disagree with. They are quite barbaric. Their cows are fed manure. They eat snails. You can't drink from the tap in some areas because of how disgusting their water is "treated".
    They treat their pets and women awfully as well. Lets say you have a family unit and then the father dies. The eldest (usually male born) son is left with everything - money, house etc, unless the wife is specifically written into the will (and when doing this with a french lawyer they look at you like you're mental for including a woman). Anyway, because the son now owns everything, it is his choice if he lets his mother live in his house from the goodness of his heart, or he can kick her out and if he's feeing nice, pay for the nursing home. The pets, like the dog say, can just be shut out and never looked after or fed again if the son doesn't want to "take on that burden".

So yeah. Their language is alright. But their attitude to certain aspects of life need to be updated and are frankly disgusting. Animals should be treated with more respect then they are.

• I was reading a book about common misconceptions of French people and one of them was that they treat animals badly. The author said that's not true...

I tried escargot before it's not bad. Different cultures eat different animals, Snails are biologically similar to oysters. Also a lot of countries have bad tap water so it's pretty normal...
      I never heard about how they treat women badly that's new to me...

• I see those are helpful information thanks

• for sharing that.

• I've been to France twice. I loved it but I also speak with a Parisian accent and part French myself. They become insulted if you lead off and try to speak English with them because you're in their country expecting you to speak your language. They are generally a very liberal people and pacifists usually. The better you master the language and speak with no accent, the more they will respect you.

• Considering they have one of the highest tourism rates in the world, I think they are one of the few that get especially angry with people not knowing french... many other countries expect it, I don't know why they get so upset with it, when others mostly do not.

• Of course I'd like to learn their language but the pronunciation is though, maybe I'll get it...

• Are you good at imitating sounds? Parisian French is the upper class French and has the most beautiful crisp flowing sound.

• I disagree. I'm french and I have to tell you that you are right on some point like the fact that they dont speak English but it could be because its awkward for them. Look, I loveeee English language and when some tourist talk to me I speak English but it make me feel really awkward because I know we, french people, are known for our embarrassing accent so ya I think a lot of people refuse to talk because it embarass them and sometime they're not really comfortable with English . But I know that some of them are arrogant but there are arrogant people in every places in the world.

• I read that French already have a hard time learning their own language in grade school. they get punished for making mistakes. They're afraid of speaking another language because they're afraid of making mistakes and looking dumb. is it true

• @peachblossomluck oh that is so nice of you! 😀💕

• @cocosugar Bises ma soeure💋

• French is difficult and the pronounciation is very different but very sexy at the same time when someone speak :) Also France has very historical past and literature. You know one of the best literature, so i always love French literature (like Victor Hugo and Michel de Montaigne) and language. According to me the only problem about French nation is 'long noses' and it's not unsolvable stuff right :))

• J'adore la culture Française! C'est comme ça comment ça s'écrit.
    I grew up knowing french and watching cartoons in french. I visited Paris back in spring 2003, and totally loved it :-)
    Vote A, all the way!

• Merci-beaucoup! How is Morroco? My brother went and said it was dirty X (

• I'm sorry but a lot of the world is like that, New York is really dirty and supposedly Paris is too?

• I don't know much about the other parts of the world, but I know that Morocco has many dirty places.

• I went to la ÃŽle-de-France once and although I speak French, they saw me as stranger, maybe because I don't speak with their accent/dialect.

• I had been learning for 2 years. I love it. It's a language that is spoken in every section of the world. The accent is kinda difficult so you're either a natural or you'll never get it right. :D

• yeah the pronunciation is tough for me

• I just want to see the Spartan man and women, do you guys still have those? LOL just kidding.

• hahaha.. I don't think we do. Maybe in Carnival period, lol. xD

• I never been to France but I did once go to England and I liked it there I got to see some of the gardens and people were nice there

• The French and pretty much the bastards of Europe ...
    They are THE WORST. (Just like @spuitkaas said.)

And I speak from personal experience as well as other people's personal experience. Learn German or Chinese or Japanese - those languages you could actually get a use out of. =)

• Do you have a specific example of dealing with them?

• Oh so you're Croatian! Sorry for our little fight earlier, I didn't know it was a sensitive issue! Thanks for your insight about the French people I will cautious when I meet them!

• Haha It's okay. =)
      Yep... I don't know many people who like the French. O. o

• I don't know much about the French coulture , I'll admit. But I'd like too and I think the language is pretty

• Don't try to speak French if you're not fluent they don't like it

• I have heard from a lot of people that they STINK and have a very bad attitude.

But the food is yummy as hell. Not to mention the boys are actually in shape unlike American boys.

• alien can learn demon language

What Guys Said 10

• I am a German historian, so I am a bit biased there... and as far as the language goes, they get upset when you don't know french, but try to visit their country even though they have one of the largest tourism rates in Europe . I can understand expecting everyone to know English is wrong, but when you have as many people visiting your country as they do, you would think they would finally accept that many don't learn a language just to visit for a week or two...

My opinion is largely based on the fact that in my experience, many other nations don't care as much if you don't know their language. and again, not be confused with expecting everyone to know English , which is wrong as well.

• I was thinking if tons of people visit America and don't know hardly any English wouldn't Americans get annoyed too? Maybe they have a natural reaction?

• I am sure some would, but as a whole we don't experience none English speakers too much, so it's a bit more of a novelty, at least in my experience. The only thing that ticks us off is not tipping!

• I like their kissing and their fries.

• Ca m'interesse, mais je suis un peu plus intéressé par les cultures étranges et francophones (cajuns, quebecois, l'Afrique de l'ouest etc.)

Generally speaking, I'm not terribly interested in France proper compared to other countries like Belgium that speak French as well as its former colonies. Since many of the world's fastest growing populations and economies are in French speaking ones, it's likely going to expand greatly in its future global significance.

• A lot of french speakers are in Africa I'd be interested in seeing what they're like...

• Great imported food and culture, but I've never been there to actually experience either so I can't be 100% on that

• My barbarian culture obviously.

• A once proud and great nation and our former nemesis that now decided to destroy itself by importing loads of immigrants from 3rd world countries, installing one-way political correctness, feminism and one-way tolerance, diversity (which should be called "dieversity" with extra "i"), has it's gold overseas in hands of their masters (if they didn't spend it already) and completely lost their balls in overall.

Kinda both sad and amusing at the same time.

• Don't a lot of Russians like France though?

• lol that's funny. I can't actually speak any Russian at all sorry.

• Actually that sentence was translated quite well :P

It's okay, I can't speak Chinese as well :)

• I like their perfumes

• I saw a movie about perfumes recently set in France and it was very dark but otherwise I agree

• I still don't understand what's wrong not speaking English in countries where the official language is not English.

• The English are ans have always been superior to the French.

• I am learning German now. After I generally obtain German ability, I will begin learning French.