Girls, wearing clothes that show your bra straps good or bad?

I'm no fashinista but I like to look nice. I wear 36 DDD bras from Victoria's Secret.

My problem is that it's hard to find things that fit. If it fits my waste it's huge on my boobs and vise versa. Well I found this cute pink summer dress that looks great on me. It has lace over the shoulders so you can see my nude bra straps underneath. I can't go out without wearing a bra and the strapless ones don't hold anything in place.

Can I wear this dress that shows bra straps or take the dress back? Can I wear it to an outdoor wedding or is that tacky? Oh and I hate having to always wear little cardigans and stuff. There's so many cute summer outfits that are strapless or off the shoulders but when I have to wear a bra then I dont buy them. Very frustrating. Thanks for any advice.

• Keep the dress but DON'T wear it to the wedding
    25% (29)
  • Keep the dress and you CAN wear it to the wedding
    58% (66)
  • Take the dress back, bra straps should never be seen
    17% (19)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

43

Most Helpful Girl

• As a girl in the same boat, let me share my rules - if there are straps that go over them, you can wear it (even if the straps are sheer) as long as your bra is nude. If your cups are showing, it's a no-go. If it dips in the back and you can see your band, it's a no-go.

Pinning your straps in place really helps for formal events where you don't want them crawling out and being more obvious.

What Girls Said 42

• Keep the dress and get a better fitting strapless bra. A correctly sized strapless will stay in place. Try measuring yourself. A 36DDD should have an underbust of ~34-36" and a bust of ~40-42". If you don't have those measurements then there is probably a better bra size for you and is most likely the reason you have trouble with strapless bras.

Modern bra sizing
    Band = underbust
    Cup = bust - underbust
    A, B, C, D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H, HH, J, JJ, etc.

• Maybe an adjuster for the bra would help with the waist so that she can avoid I'll fitting cup. Great advice BTW!!

• nah u can wear it, just buy a bra that can work with that dress. clear straps are ur best option but i personally dont even like those. I'm that type that doesn't really care so id probably just wear the nude bra.
    might seem tacky to some but the rest of the outfit looks fine to me. u can also do other things to drag a little attention away from that. if ur hair is long enough, u can drape it over ur shoulders, u can wear a belt, or a large statement necklace... or even a killer pair of heels.

• I'd say it's fine! Seriously, bra straps can look tacky, but if they are nude and there IS sleeves (or lace, like you said) then it should be fine.

If you are really super worried about it, you can buy clear straps that you put on your bras. It will give you the support but be almost invisible - however I find them really uncomfortable as they are more plastic-y.

• If you're shopping at Victorias the best strapless for 36ddd is the dream angels, push-ups unless it's the fabulous aren't the best from them. The fabulous is only sold online. Keep in mind it depends on where most of your breast tissue falls. I would also do some shopping outside of VS, they don't make the best bras for cups bigger than dd. except if you're shopping Body by Victoria. also clear straps a better than nude. Wearing your hair to cover the straps is an ok approach but one simple toss to the side and there it is in a photo. Bra straps are never ok, undergarments for a reason. Another last point if you've been measured at VS I'd get measured by several of its staff. Some of those girls guess after D cups.

• I used to wear a 32G and Victoria Secrete bras are no good for large chested women. You need to go to a high end lingerie shop that carries French Bras like Simone Perele. They will size you and life will be better.

• wear pink straps? you said that the lace is covering it so no one really cares even at a formal setting like a wedding. since I can't see the dress ask one of your friends going to the wedding whether or not it makes you look tacky. It really depends on the dress...

• nude bra or bra with clear straps is fine with that. it's only tacky if you go colorful (or if you go with white and think you're hiding it but you're really not haha) :)

• There's literally nothing wrong with your bra straps showing. Especially if you've found a gorgeous dress! Is it really your fault for having boobs? No. Wear it and rock it girl! Be confident!

• Nude straps aren't bad and will probably not be that noticeable. I love love love lace shoulder details, and have worn nude straps underneath or invisible/clear ones. I don't wear the clear ones all day to night, it sometimes hurts, but for like 5 hours or so, it's not bad at all, I'm a 36 D. I do have a nude strapless bustier that I wear to weddings for my cute strapless dresses.

• Keep the dress and wear it on a casual day with friends
    don't wear it to the wedding. Showing bra straps at a formal or semi-formal setting is tacky

• I hate any part of bras showing, but I have the same strapless bra problem as you. Once your boobs hit a certain size there is nothing in my budget that will keep them up strapless haha! I tend to stay away from halter/strapless dresses.
    I have a few strapless dresses, but they are tight enough around the bust that paired with a mediocre strapless bra the girls stay in place.
    You said yours has lace around the shoulders right? I bet clear straps would be almost spotless with the dress!

• I'm an E and bras can be enemies!. I'm trying to form a picture of what the dress looks like, it sounds like it is fittingly but feminine? Bra straps is not a big deal as long as it colour-coordinates and the bra itself fits nicely and you feel comfortable! :)

• A picture would be most helpful.

• You can wear the dress but you'll have to suck it up and go to a specialty shop and get a bra there that will hold your girls in. I have two really great bras that cost about $60 but fit perfect. Going to get a strapless from them for a wedding this summer. I know how it is to need a bra for big boobs and always feel like your falling out or constantly having to readjust.

• 0|0
    • in my opinion sometimes visible bra straps make the outfit look nicer if they have a special design.

• Nothing wrong with bra straps as long as they are not a completely different colour to the dress. (Pink dress, black bra for example) I have large breasts too and I always have to have my bra straps showing or id have to be completely covered all the time?

• I really don't understand why people think bra straps look tacky. Women have breasts and do wear bras! That shouldn't be news to anyone. Go ahead and wear the dress with a nude bra or one with clear straps might be less visible aswell under the lace.

• Bra straps don't matter

• You can wear a tranparent bra strap or if you have long hair you can use it to cover your bra strap (:

• To me it's not a big deal to have your bra straps showing. I like to wear nice things even if my bra straps show. The only thing is that some places don't allow it. But it's no big deal to wear something that shows them at a party or occasion like that

• I personally don't like the bra strap look on anyone. Especially to a wedding. There's no way to hide the straps under the dress straps? If you must wear the dress with the straps visible it wouldn't be a terrible thing either :)

• Who cares, trust me you'd look great with or without straps, i got 34 D's and my bra straps are almost evertime visible when i wear strapless tops, i can wear them or without straps it doesn't make a difference thank god but it's much more comfortable with bra straps so keep showing them it's totally normal and doesn't affect your outfit that much anyway :-)

• Buy a corset or bustier. I have a 38 DDD, so i feel your pain.

• Here is my opinion on the situation: I would purchase the dress to wear at the wedding, but would purchase a bra with a plastic strap towards the shoulders/straps so the guests do not see it. Or, you can wear a cardigan over the dress. Options options

• You can get invisible straps

• Wear the dress with a strapless bra, but take a strap from another bra and tie it horizontally around the under-bust. It keeps everything in :)

• I never understood why people judged others for having their bra straps show. It's no big deal

• Consider clear straps

• Straps don't matter I wear clothes that show some part of my bra all the time wether it's the sides straps or the back honsetly I don't care if people see my bra I mean like everybody knows that girls wear bras

• totally trashy + tacky = NOT!!!

• More from Girls
    12