What do you think of the new Volvos?

I'm just curious because this is a brand of vehicles that most people seem to have some sort of opinion on and after Ford sold them back to a Swedish company they sort of got a make over to appeal to the younger crowd.

I've heard many people associate them with NPR liberals or people that still view them for nothing more than safety and something you buy when you're a having kids.

I fit into the category of buying one because I wanted a nice car that I could drive for upwards of a decade and still have it be a respectable car to drive around clients for business as they tend to hold up well. But I also really like the sporty new look, turbo charge and pick up in sport mode. It feels about as nice as driving a Lexus or BMW but at about 20% less and I liked that it was seen not as Luxury but safe and dependable.

Honestly I got it at 2 years old for about the same out the door as the Toyota I bought at the same age/ mileage but I've had some people at work react as if I just bought a Benz.

• Conservative family wagons
  • Sporty car for the young and hip as well as fit for families
  • Good cars fancier than a VW but not a luxury brand
  • I don't have an opinion
  • midrange car for liberals who don't want to admit to driving a luxury vehicle
  • I wouldn't drive one or date anyone who did.

Most Helpful Guy

• Funny this sort of question should come up. I have a 97 Volvo that I wouldn't trade for a BMW or Lexus. I am impressed at how good it handles and it drives like a Caddy. It has more miles than I care for , but I feel it's supper dependable and requires little maintainance. So I agree you made a wise investment. While they are viewed as being one of the safest cars on the road , I give it an A for being cost effective as well

• Ah my friend, what you have is a fine piece of machine. I'm not so certain if mine will play out to be as trusty a companion as the older models but I would love to one day have both a newer vehicle and one from pre-1985.

The older Volvos are tanks and the main negative with any newer car, especially the European ones, are the upkeep on the sensory and electronics as the age. On the bug I drove for 10 years no complaints on the engine, A/C or main components it drove like a beast but the dang sensors would cause it to fail state inspections and then it's all about finding the right mechanic who isn't going to rake you over the coals while he plays detective with the damn thing hooked up to a diagnostic machine for hours.

I'd love a simple engine with a manual transmission from the good olds days that I could tune up and take care of most the minor work on.

• It helps that I am a mechainic so garage owner don't care to much for me around here. I love the look on their faces when some one goes to them for a quote then bring their vehicle to me for the actual repair . This one have several thing wrong with it when I got it due to neglect and minor abuse but I have invested some time and a bit of money in getting it back to her prime. Honestly if you do invest in an older model don't rill out getting parts from EBay. Most of the time parts are a lost more affordable

What Guys Said 7

• I think you've got it all exactly right. I used to think the brand was too boxy for my taste, then they had these bizarre really tall taillights on the wagons (not a big wagon guy here), but the newer models I've seen are great looking, and nicely appointed. Good call and buy.

• My first car was a Volvo (1995 440) and I think they're very good cars. If I had my pick of the range I'd get an XC70.

• volvo is a brand of lorries isn;t it?

• Ah yes, they have a much different reputation in the UK but might you be so kind as to tell me what a "lorrie" is? Do you mean motor truck/ delivery truck?

• lorry and truck r thevsame thing basically... lorry is just "British English" 4 "truck"

• I believe in them.

• My dad has a Volvo and it's very nice. They are nice cars and they make almost no sound.

• They're pretty ugly to me, my first car was almost a station wagon.

• I like the sporty hatchbacks and their safety features

What Girls Said 2

• I have a 2000 S70 T5, so not exactly new but it's still in great condition. I love Volvos and I think I always will. I've yet to drive a new model but they look nice.

• I can't say I haven't seen the new ones.