Bikini vs underwear?

On the beach, by a pool and around holiday destinations it is perfectly acceptable to wear a binkini all day walking around. All a bikini consists of is a bra and panties so it is basically underwear made from different material.

So by this logic why is it socially acceptable to walk around in a bikini but not underwear?

Also if it was socially acceptable would you walk around in your underwear?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was about to ask the exact same question. One day I posted a picture of me wearing underwear and a guy told me "don't post a picture with underwear" but people wear bikini and walk around with it. My underwear covered more than average people's bikini. My starps are thicker at least. I don't understand the concept really. I also watched ANTM and one of the model didn't want to take a picture with underwear on because it was underwear. I mean I thought what mattered was how much coverage a clothing gives you, not what you call it? But... I don't know. This question is helpful to me.

• That guy must not be able to look at womens underwear without getting weird. Must be some kind of pervert. Glad I could help.

What Girls Said 7

• how come some people are allowed to walk around w/ a rifle in fucking walmart but the second I bring my industrial-sized meat grinder to tesco

ak7.picdn.net/.../...meat-grinder-machine-hd-p.jpg

I'm not making like a sarcastic comparison like 'a bikini is to underwear what a rifle is to a commercial meat grinder' that'd be a strange comparison I'm just shitposting, fyi

• It depends on the situation and the location. While it is considered acceptable to walk around in a bikini at the beach or pool, it's generally not socially acceptable to do the same while out grocery shopping for example.

Underwear can be a lot more revealing than a bikini due to either style or fabric choice. While I am perfectly comfortable walking around in public in a bikini, or a sports bra and a pair of spandies, I would not feel comfortable doing so in a thong and lacy bra.

• But if it was socially acceptable to wear underwear on the beach wouldn't you leave the thong at home and go for full panties? And you can get thong bikinis.

• All the areas where you would wear a bikini are places where you go swimming. A bra and panties are gonna be see through when wet so you can't wear them for swimming. You wouldn't wear a bikini downtown in a city, any more than you would wear a bra and panties.

• Bikinis are usually made in a different and thicker fabric that doesn't become see through when wet nor lets others see camel toes and what not.

• Good point a beach full of camel toes wouldn't be a pretty sight

• I've always wondered this myself.

Maybe it's because it's okay to strip someone of the one but not the other.

• Whether my girl is wearing underwear or a bikini on holiday I'm still stripping it off her at the end of the day.

• Yes I would

• I don't walk around in my bikini. My bikini covers way more than my underwear does. So either way it makes no difference to me.

What Guys Said 4

• Well, some underwear is extremely revealing: Such as thongs, small boy-shorts or any other skimpy underwear. Same with SOME bikinis. However, assuming we're comparing regular panties to a full bikini, I really see nothing wrong with it. Our society makes little to no sense at all.

Good question. I can't provide a valid answer, except I agree with you.

• In my mind if a girl was wearing normal everyday underwear, not sexy underwear, and went to a beach forgetting her bikini I would have no problem her stripping down to her underwear. I wouldn't think any less of her, I probably wouldn't even notice. She would stand out more slaying fully dressed

• Underwear tends to be more flimsy mateiral - Bikinis are made more for surface wear.

• Because people are fucking stupid that's why. Simple as that. Like I say, the majority of people have no sense.

• social norms thats why but if you look at it from a logical perspective there is none