Appropriate for Prom?

I got this dress and my mom wants me to wear a modesty piece under the see through part because she says it dips too low. I'm almost 18. Do you think it's appropriate or inappropriate for Prom?
Appropriate for Prom?

Most Helpful Guy

• It might be a bit much for prom without a modesty piece, I can see your mom's thinking on this one. The thing is that it may look not too bad when you are wearing it, but flash photography will often blow out meshing and stuff, making is seem a lot more... revealing.

• That's my concern too but I like how it looks with this strapless bra I have.

• Well... maybe try it with a few different things to see how it looks. Get your mom to help, maybe get her to take some pictures so you can see how it looks, especially with different flash settings and lighting levels. Better to take a bit of time to experiment now than get caught in an uncomfortable situation later.

What Guys Said 12

• Sure nice dress

• Sure it dips low but I've seen far worse dresses at prom. Aside from the neckline I think it's overly modest. Go for it!

• tbh i don't like it basically... sorry

• I think its a beautiful dress! :D You are definitely old enough to wear a dress like that. I dont think it dips down too low at all. Its very modest because of how it goes all the way up. If you would have your photo taken flash photography could really make the mesh blow up and seem to be more revealing then it is. make sure your take photos with the flash on to see how the mesh in the dress reacts to the lighting.

Other then that I say go for it! Have fun at prom!

• I have seen worse and it does not seem to bad in the picture, but what else would you expect your mother to say.

• I can understand what your mom means. This looks like a dress that a celebrity would wear to the Oscars or Emmys or Tonys or Grammys. You'd still be beautiful/attractive if you put something under that see-through part.

• Its kind of reveling! sorry but i think your moms right on this one! Someone who cares about you tells you something you should think twice!

• nice dress :)

• Sure! Why not?

• Noiceee very noiceeee

• It is good. Since it is an after 5 event, black is OK.

• no it's fine

What Girls Said 4

• I agree that it dips too low. The dress is nice but for prom I think you should wear something that is not black. Black is for formal events and sad events - prom should be purple, red, velvet, dark blue or green - anything other than black. Can you get this dress in another colour?

• yeah, i think that's fine. it's really not that low cut. in my opinion it hardly shows cleavage, compared to something else you could be wearing..

• I agree that it dips too low but you can get away with it because it's floor length

• It hits me right in the middle of my rib cage. It's really not that noticeable but my mom is worried about it showing up more when pictures are taken

• You can wear it beforehand and have your mother take a picture with flash to see how it looks on photos

• yes its appropriate!