Why do girls feel the need to use cosmetics yet guys don't?

Like where did this come about. Where in evolution did women think of putting substances on their faces to make them look more attracrive and guys didnt? This makes men more natural looking than women in my eyes...

Most Helpful Guy

• This is an interesting question. In nature, especially with birds but also with other species (including primates), it's often the male that is more "showy" and colorful. I'm sure there's a history of makeup that's out there.

What Girls Said 3

• Historically females have been the ornamental sex of our species. It's like how male cardinals have bright red feathers. It's the human way of attracting a mate.

Over time social standards have made us up our game, so now this kind of adornment has gotten down to a science.

• Its weird though isn't it about how its come about. Say make up was no longer made for whatever reason would men lose interest or do you reckon there would be same level of attractiveness? But with your example that happens naturally whereas make up isn't a natural way if attraction. I suppose in a sense its evolution in a way

• It would just take society time to adjust to the new standard of beauty. I mean look at how it's varied so much by culture historically.

In modern western society were accustomed to an image of beauty so that's why its what men find attractive.

• What do you think about a girl that has acne scars? The make up will help to look good, because acne scars lowers self-esteem...

• Im not questioning the effect it has.. more so why its women who have felt the need to improve looks through cosmetics but men don't. Thanks though

• Ohh, I got the point, sorry, I misunderstood it... and yes you are right, I think it is due to publicity...

• I think it's because society hasn't told men that they'd look better with makeup. Just saying.

What Guys Said 5

• Males do use cosmetics when allowed however sociologically for many parts of the world it's taboo.

• Some men do in tv, movies, even some business men. Pretty much anything where image is important. Also it probably came about when warpaint first came around.

• Things have changed, look at France pre revolution. All nobility, men probably used more make up than women.

• Well its mainly invented for white women.. cause of their fair complexion they have more blemishes.

• I use stuff to cover acne when its bad.