35 years old; time to change style?

So the other day my girlfriend and I were talking about a few things. One of those things that came up was that I'm turning 35 next week. She was like; maybe you should think about losing the faded jeans and sneakers look and change to a more "mature" wardrobe.
Basically, a bit more baggy, darker more polished pants, button up shirts.
You think she's right? Or is age just a number? It got me thinking. :\ Maybe I just don't want to accept I'm getting old. Ha.

• yeah ditch them, you're at that point
  • nah, you have some time yet
  • age is a #
  • ditch them regardless of age, that style sucks anyway
So then it's not a young person's thing?
They're store bought thigh to knee faded, not worn out from over time.
The people voting ditch them. The jeans, sneakers or both?
Between the 2 she'd rather see the jeans go.
She said the fading looked more like a "20s" thing.
:s

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been wearing the same types of outfits I have since my early twenties. I'm approaching 30 and I'm also thinking about this.
    I can't see myself wearing mommy looking or old lady clothes.
    I have a youthful figure and face.
    It really depends on how you look.
    I think you should try to mix it up.
    Get a few mature outfits but let them be you !

• Get some with style that still looks fun and young.

• Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can't be fashionable.

• Same, im 28 but people often think im still a teenager XD So did my boyfriend, he is 21. And I wear what I've always wore and won't ever just conform to this cultural rule about how a certain age is supposed to dress.

Most Helpful Guy

• I just kind of revamped my wardrobe the last few months. It's dressier (these are mostly work/nightlife clothes, not casual), but I still managed to avoid the old guy look. Invest in a few sportcoats, those are huge to have if you want to class it up, and you can still wear most of them with a dark pair of jeans (not faded) and a casual-ish (I'd recommend a slip-on loafer) dress shoe. The key is your shirt. If you have a tweed jacket with suede elbow patches and wear a solid or traditional patterned dress shirt, you're going to make yourself look old. I want my wardrobe to say "I'm a grown-ass man... but I'm still down to party.", haha. I have a lot of solid colored sportcoats, in gray, navy, light blue... so I wear a fun shirt underneath to make it pop.

Here are some pics. Excuse some of the dumb faces, i was sending these to the homey @Kris85 😜

This is pretty basic, a blue gingham grid with a navy jacket. I really like the shirts with a contrasting pattern on the underside of the cuffs...
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2vuddw1.jpg
    http://i60.tinypic.com/2944d8p.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/esjf9z.jpg

This is a navy shirt with white and coral microdots and a floral cuff, with a light blue jacket...
    i59.tinypic.com/.../1zme1kx.jpg
    http://i57.tinypic.com/21c5jtj.jpg

I love this one, navy shirt with a light blue shark pattern...
    http://i59.tinypic.com/wunt5w.jpg
    http://i61.tinypic.com/14w8w2b.jpg

This one is a tropical palm print under a gray jacket...
    http://i60.tinypic.com/9se3af.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/w8qro3.jpg

Just a few examples. I thought it would be uncomfortable to wear, but it's not, and they way people treat is night and day, haha. The key is confidence. Own what you're wearing. It's nice going into somewhere and being far and away the best dressed person in a sea of scrubs, haha.

Hope this helps!

• My casual wear part got cutoff so I left it out, but on second thought, here it is...

As for casual wear, I unfortunately don't have any pics handy, but I'd recommend wearing non-destroyed/faded jeans, but don't go full Dad Jeans on us, haha. Fit is very important. I'm not into the skinny jeans look the younger crowd anyway, I just wear the regular relaxed fit. For tops, wear something clean, classic, and understated. Henleys, button downs, plain t-shirts. Avoid big brand logos and don't wear anything with sports team logos unless you're going to a game, we're too old for that shit, haha. For shoes, I like casual sneakers. This can seal the "I'm not old" look, haha. Don't wear any type of athletic sneaker unless you're going to the gym. Always be dressed for the occasion. Sperry Topsider or Penguin have nice casual shoes. You can get away with stuff like the classic suede Pumas, Nike Cortez, maybe Adidas Superstars (shell-toes) too, and that keeps your look youthful.

• The darker blue coats I could probably pull off, not so much on that lighter blue one. Adidas shoes are always nice in my opinion.

• Yeah, the lighter blue is best on blond people, haha. If you have darker features you'll actually have more options for colors that will work. But the point is that you can get imaginative with it and not feel cornered into traditional prints if that's not what you want. And again, this is what I wear to work or if I were going out to a club or a more upscale bar or restaurant. You can always wear jeans and a t-shirt, you just have to clean up the type of jeans and the fit, and err on the side of conservative wth the t-shirt. Adidas have some good casual shoes, with the superstars, and also some of the seude or canvas ones.

What Girls Said 31

• Well, if you want to be a pussy and comply with what your girlfriend and society expects from you, then sure - start wearing boring-ass old people clothes.

Unless I need to look smart for work or an occasion, I'm not changing my style based on my age.

I'm gonna be grandma converse shoes with jeans and T-shirt.

• The voice of reason speaks again.

Just picked up a comfortable pair of New Balance. Wearing them now as i sit here in faded jeans and enjoy my morning coffee.

• @GraySailorsBride

You don't know, I may have some pig shit that needs to be shoveled. Maybe I'm keeping pigs on my days off? I know of your abiding love for bacon. There is room for surprise in any relationship.

• Yes, agreed just not those dockers! Lol. You have been judged! Good news! It doesn't matter and I love you. Lol

• Although it's a young person's look, that doesn't mean you can't wear them.

Put it this way - a girl with a mini skirt.

Everyone accepts it's a sexy thing for a 20 something year old to wear. And a rule of thumb is stop at 30-35. But, there are women out there who still look amazing, better than a 20 yr old, in a mini skirt. Just watch Desperate Housewives.

What I'm saying is although there's an "age guideline" that doesn't mean it doesn't look good on you. It doesn't mean you're "done" yet.

Dress how you want and how you are comfortable and what looks good.

• Even if I do look good and pull it off, you're still saying it typically is a younger person's style though?

• Or were you speaking in generalities?

• The image I have in my head is more younger but I think it's the trainers/sneakers. I don't think jeans are that age related personally

• You should wear what you want, no matter your age!

• Well yeah but a 70yo that looks 70 might be a little much wearing tight skinny jeans.

• True.

• In another 35 years, skinny jeans will be what old people wear... all the kids will be wearing much more fashionable corduroys.

• If your girlfriend said it, she probably wants to see you in a little bit more of a serious look. Not saying for all of the time, but a nice T-shirt and a good fitting boot cut pair of jeans with no holes or fading can look nice. Even WITH your sneakers.
    That said dress however you want. I've come to realize that people will judge you based on how look, so if you look at a photo of yourself and try to be objective and be honest with yourself on your first impression, it helps. I have to do this everyday. I'm 23, I'm a parent, I look very young and I am a beauty professional. So I want to try to look my age, but still fun. Clothes don't have an age. 30s are the 20s, do what you want. Maybe when you hit 40/45 it will bug you, and if it doesn't, who cares. My dad is still wearing his faded jeans and sneakers with his band hoodies and he's in his 50s :P

• That was pretty rude of her. You're an adult, you can wear whatever the hell you want. Don't let your spirit die just because you're getting older.

24.media.tumblr.com/...lv57kc21w31qdd9rno1_500.gif

• My mom tells me often that I need to dress more mature. The thing is, I don't dress too young for my age. She tried to get me to wear stuff that her and her mom wear. Ummm... no, thanks. Her and I have never seen eye-to-eye when it came to clothing. I say, wear whatever you like. I know guys in their early 40s that dress the way you do and they look fine in their clothes. Maybe rock the sexy George Clooney look in your mid to late 40s and on.

• That sounds like a huge drag! She wants you to look like Mr. Rogers or something? If you are comfortable your way and feel you can rock that look, then do your own thing:)

• Well, the way you fame the question and the poll left no room for you to be yourself and not beat yourself up. I think you should only change your clothing if you want to. Yes in. Relationship you might have to compromise but she met you this way and the way you dressed didn't matter when dated her. I think you should only change dress if you feel like it stoping you form reaching your goals in life, and not because you woman says so. Your reasoning has be for yourself. Yum us happy with your life and yourself and can't let a woman dominate you or even the society for that matter. It doesn't matter what you wear is not in fashion. It matters who are as a person.

If she gives you crap tell her this is who you are as a man. And
    Stay firm.

Only do things that you feel living with integrity.

by the way you are not getting old. To me 60 and above is old, plus people are living longer and healthier

• Thank you. :)
      Age is a # was a positive vote option.

• I'm glad you got some support on here as I was reading the comments below.

Your welcome

• Your age doesn't matter. You can have any style you want. But you have to know how to adjust your style to dress appropriately for any given situation. I mean, shredded jeans, sneakers and a leather jacket are ok to go to a bar but not to work.

• They're just clothes. Looking more refined won't change your playfulness.

• So you're saying?
      It doesn't matter as in it shouldn't matter what you wear or, it doesn't matter as in why not change?

• When i met my boyfriend he liked wearing faded jeans and hip-hop type of t-shirts. He was 37 at the time and continued this style until he was around 38 out of his own volition. That's key. Didn't happen overnight though.

So, I'd say where what you feel like that's appropriate.

• So there's still time! Ha.

• Age is a number, clothing are just cultural rules that try to push you into a box! Dont fall for it. Wear what you like and dont give a fuck :)

• No, she's not right. I think if YOU want to change your wardrobe you should do it, but don't do it because your girlfriend told you to. Age really is just a number and you have the right to dress however you like. Besides, if you were to start dressing the way she suggested, do you think you'd be happy that way? If the answer is no, then keep dressing the way you do.

• Ya def, I don't know how you dress. But I see a lot of guys in their 30s and even 40s trying to pull off that abercrombie and fitch college guy look
    f.fastcompany.net/.../...en-and-sarah-marshall.jpg

You can only really pull that of, well in college. And even then, just barley Dress your age!

• I don't dress in name brands like that per say, much less for anyone else.

• it was a metaphor

• I think you style should match your personality, not your age.
    Like, if you are 15 and you feel good in a suit, go with a suit. If you are 50 and you like dressing like a teen, dress like a teen. Who has to care?

• Wear whatever you want it's your style.

• That's true, it's MY style.

• Exactly hun don't let anyone tell you what is appropriate or not appropriate for what you wear, they aren't wearing it you are.

• If YOU want to change your look or add new clothes to it then go for it. But I don't see how it matters that you are 35 and need a new look for your age

• I think she was implying my current style is too young looking for me.

• Meh, wear what makes you feel good. If it effects your job or other opportunities in life the make a better decision but if it is your every day clothing I don't see why you should have to change unless you want to. It should be your decision. She can mention it but ultimately it is up to you.

• Well you can try it, you might juat like it but I say wear what you like man. Are you a button up dark pants kind of a guy? If you end up hating the new look then just stay with what you got but still be open to option from the girlfriend. Girls love to dress their man. I know i do but only if he feels comfortable about it.

• Wear whatever makes you comfortable. My grandma is 73 and wears skinny jeans and low cut tops and cowgirl boots and gaudy jewelry and has fire engine red hair. Age is just a number

• It depends on the occasion and where you are going. If it's casual, the jeans/t-shirt/sneakers look can last a lifetime probably. But if you go out on a date or event, maybe a button shirt over the t-shirt and some dark jeans would be ok? The fancier "nicer" the situation, the more likely I guess I would wear tailored pants and button up shirts. If that makes sense. I would keep your lady's opinion in mind while still being comfortable with your own style.

• Age is just number

• Age is just a number, lol. But maybe she wants to see you wear something new! There's nothing wrong with that, I tell my boyfriend to wear different things all time, but not because I don't like his style. I don't know maybe your girlfriend wants a more mature-looking man?

• Wear what makes you happy

• Baggy? I'd say a person who's mature would go with 'fitted right', not 'baggy' like a gangster... Hahah

Anyways, you can wear that on casual days, but yes, your style should change with your age.

• I'd get a more professional look for the most part, but nothing says you shouldn't dress like that on weekends

• Maybe you could try wearing both or if you don't like the outfit that your girlfriend recommends then stay the same

• You can always switch to dark wash jeans and nicer shirts and shoes. Its actually pretty classy looking, and probably not too much different than what you're wearing now :)
    But wear what you want,

• I voted D and there's really not much to expound on. The age is irrelevant.

• The time is now lol

• What age do you think they should have been dropped?

• I vote for A. Just go with whatever you like. Just be yourself! Enjoy!

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 36

• Reading through all the comments and the consensus seems to be:

- wear what you want
    - consider making smart additions to your wardrobe.
    - dress appropriately for the circumstance
    - wear clothes that flatter you
    AND
    - consider getting a new girlfriend if she persists in treating you like her personal Ken Doll

• It depends on what you are doing. If you are going out I think dressing up a little more would be a good idea. She clearly wants you to dress up for her, just like guys sometimes want girls to dress up and look pretty for us. If you are just lounging around the house though then I think jeans and sneakers are fine. I think you should consider meeting her part way on this.

• No it isn't just a young persons thing, but when going out an older person is expected to dress a bit more mature. I think this is because as we get older we need clothes that flatter our bodies more than when we were in our prime. Since we see other people our age dressing like this it starts to become a part of our culture, that an older person should dress a bit more mature even if they look just as good as when they were in their prime. I think the trick is finding the right balance between looking good for our partners, and feeling comfortable with how we live our lives. It is the least we can do if our partners are doing the same for us.

• I normally just wear t shirts jeans and sneakers, and have literally just switched to a polo shirt and had people ask why I was so dressed up. The only thing I changed is the shirt. So dressing up really isn't hard mostly because so few guys actually put any work into their wardrobe at all.

I prefer long sleeve silk shirts for when I go out. I wear them with both slacks and jeans. I still get plenty of complements from people about how I am dressed either way. Pants really don't seem like a big deal when dressing up as long as they fit. It doesn't need to be silk, that is just my personal preference. I also try to put on some dressier shoes now.

Also don't judge my style by my photo. I was on vacation and felt like being silly by wearing the brightest shirt I could. So it isn't a true reflection of my style. lol

• For going out sometimes, dressing nicer.. fine. Overall though.. I'll give the meet her part to start by ditching the prefaded jeans. The sneakers for the most part stay.

• Work, or hanging out on weekends?

Wear for work what's appropriate where you work.

There are definitely styles I wouldn't really wear now based on my age. But I wear jeans and hoodies, i'll wear jeans with a buttoned shirt though not that often, but I am a little more now (casually, will wear that to work sometimes as I am today, along with a blazer). I don't really casually wear sneakers and haven't in a while, about twice a week i consider buying some to wear casually some asics or something, and i'm always on the fence. I just don't like the style much tbh, but I see guys doing it who are waaay older.

I'd ditch the prefaded jeans, buy raw denim, if you want to get fades yourself go for it.

It's tough man, i feel like we're between guys who are wearing the same thing they did in high school and never grew up, and the alternative looks like I'm a lawyer heading off to my $3 million cottage. Which I don't have. Seems hard to find something in between.

• At work I have to wear carhartts and boots. So hang out/weekend.
      I know what you're saying about your last part too.
      And yeah, what is up with the older dudes looking like they're lawyers?

• Sneakers are just too comfortable.
      I'll try ditching the prefaded jeans though. Meet her part way.

• I'll try a few shirts too

• Do no listen to her do what you do. The next thing you know she will have you dressing like and old man at the age of 40... No one tells me how to dress

• I'm also 35. I am still young looking (people think I'm 26-27ish)

My usual look for going out for the evening is a pair of nice jeans (not to baggy), a pair of New Balance shoes that are completely black but also very comfortable, and a casual shirt from Bluenotes or Old Navy. I get complimented on my clothes. Basically like the dude on the far left in this picture:

oldnavy.gap.com/.../..._US_Jeans_dp_vibanner_m.jpg

If it's more casual (like beer and wings, or slumming around, or whatever) then sneakers, crappier baggier jeans, and a t-shirt.

I can scrub myself up extremely well and put on a suit and tie and the whole nine yards - but that's for special occasions. That's the key here: knowing when to go for it. Don't let her pressure you into suffering in the name of fashion.

NB: I am single

• I'd be more of the guy next to him.
      So you have style taste then. :p

• People do not need to change things about themselves just because they are at some age. If it works for them, then fine. If not, change it.

• I would wear what your comfortable with she should
    accept the way you dress now , why make you spend
    money on clothes that after you wear you may not be happy
    my cousin is age 57 and she still dresses like a hippy and
    no one can change her she has her own style so that's it
    and she even wears her hair long yet down her back.

• Age just a number. Smoke weed and read books until you die in a gutter.

• I think you should give it a shot and add into your wardrobe some basics you know take it slowly. Nobody changes wardrobe in a day. Per say consider getting some boots like dessert boots, fitted bottom downs, leather sneakers, nice bomber jackets l, Henley shirts, for jeans get light wash or dark wash. It can be a stresful process but can be fun. Go to effortlessgent. com if you want.

• I think phasing things in, as well as always having some sort of variety can be a good thing.

• I don't think your wardrobe needs a complete makeover. I would compromise by keeping some of current items for some occasions while going shopping with her and picking out some new things for others. You never know, you may just find some new styles or items that you like.

• Fuck that shot. I'll be 34 next month and I'll wear what I want

• I'd only ditch the wardrobe if you look stuck in the past or in denial about your age by dressing extremely young. Jeans and sneakers are pretty utilitarian.

• No one looks good in baggy pants...

• Do not base your wardrobe on the opinions of others. Dress for yourself, not because some chick thinks it doesn't look good. If girls are allowed to dress for themselves, so are men. Keep rocking them Faded Glories!

• Wear what you want. I won't change my style just because I'm older (when that time comes). And its a good style anyway!

• I'd say don't ditch the look, but mix up some variety. Try a different look once in a while

• a sign not to get married. Soon she'll tell you what to eat and not to eat. Then tell you which tv shows your allowed to see or not see.

• I laughed out loud to this. I didn't even think of that.

• If they care what you wear then they're not your friend. Be you and do you.

• Who even wears trainers outside the gym? o. O

• It's your style, if you want to change it its your choice, I personally like the faded jeans look, but mine get faded over time on the farm.

• If you do will you start wearing sweater vests and stretchy pants at 50?

• I Voted A but I meant to vote D, take pride in your appearance.

• If that's all you wear, then yeah.

• You can only be yourself in this world and no one else

• Dressing smart casual is popular anyway now, do what you feel like doing but I'd agree with your gf :P

• Change because dressing smart casual is popular or change because my age doesn't warrant that style anymore?

• Mainly the former. I mean, you can dress how you want at whatever age you want, but you'd be doing yourself a favour if you dress the best that you can

• age is just a number, but how old you look doesn't change the fact you might not suit that young shit anymroe

• Voted D.

...

• 35 age is a lot late.

• What? LOL. I'm slightly older than you and I still wear surfing t shirts, boardies, jeans, sneakers etc etc. And I still look damn good and feel good in them too even if I say so myself :P I still get looks from younger girls in their 20's. There's no time limit when to throw your clothes away. If you like it then wear it. You don't suddenly wake up one day and say "hey I think it's time to be an old man now"
    No one believes my age anyway. I feel fit and energetic. I refuse to grow old quickly. Stay young! It's great!

• More from Guys
    6