Girls, how do I achieve the natural red head look?

My hair is really dark naturally so I know that I will have to use bleach or a lightener first. I have not dyed my hair in about 1 1/2 years. The color I am going for is that natural orangey color. Would it be safe to just lighten with bleach and then color with box dye?

5

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't use box dye. Its the devil. Go to a Sally's or something of that nature. It has way to much ammonia in it and will damage your hari more than needed.
    Only put the bleach on the bottom of your hair, about an inch or so away from your scalp or you will end up with hot roots. When you feel your hair is about 3/4 the way to the color you want it lightened to then put it on your roots.
    When you look at your hair and it looks light enough, leave it on for another 10 minutes. The bleach on the hair make it look lighter than it is :-)
    You can ask any other questions you want of me. Hope it turns out!

• I do all my hair dying adventures through Sally's :) And thanks for the tip about the bleach. I have been prepping for finals so I haven't been able to get to it yet. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

• Thanks for MHO.

What Girls Said 4

• You could use 100% henna dye if you want something healthier that chemical hair dye. If you use it on your hair as it is, the result will probably be dark red hair. If you want it to come out ginger (i suppose that's what you mean by natural orange?) right away, you 'll have to bleach and then dye your hair either with henna or with dye. You can have the same result without bleacking your hair if you gradually dye your hair a lighter shade every 2-4 weeks and then, when it's blonde enough, you apply the red dye.

• To achieve the color that you want you would definantly have to bleach your hair first but use a low volume maybe a 30 volume instead of a 40? It depends how dark your hair is already. Also after dying it you should trim your ends just to make sure it stays healthy and to get rid of any split ends that were caused by the bleach good luck :)

• yeah you're definitely gonna have to bleach your hair.. probably twice. i'd give your hair some rest in between bleaching and dying. after you've lightened it enough, go ahead and color your hair with the box dye. it should be fine.

• bleach will really harm your hair, speak to your hairdresser