Judging your friends by image?

Do you choose to associate (or not associate) with people based on appearances? Why or why not? I have heard that a lot of people do this so I wonted to know how common this is. Does it matter what a person you hang out with's image is? Do you think your looks can determine the people that associate with you or speak to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I keep writing an answer to this question and then erasing my answer.. because I don't know if I'm gonna make any sense.. you question is nice by the way.. so ill just say what comes to mind..

I don't choose to associate with people strictly based on their appearance.. it is a factor but a very small influence on my decision to be friends with them or not.. a major influence is their character and their maturity compared to mine.. the main reason for this is.. I can explain in one way.. its like they say .. people can tell a lot about you based on who you associate yourself with.. One example is .. sense of humor.. cursing and calling each other "retard" and stuff like that is only funny for so long.. and it gets tiring very soon.. It happened to me once.. when one of my less mature friends pulled that kind of stupid joke infront of my other (more mature) friend.. and it was quite embarrassing.. ill spare the details..

The weird thing is.. I think my looks determine if people choose to associate with me.. and I don't take any chances with that.. because its something I can control.. I can control how I look like how good of a shape I'm in and stuff like that.. so I try my best.

What Guys Said 1

• not necessarily, but if like emulating the movie mean girls its probably what you should to do to accomplish just that.

Looks don't mean as much as people think. Then again its proven that more attractive people are attracted to other attractive people. Its truly how you percieve things and the values that you were raised with.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't consciously do this, and I do have friends that some would call "attractive" while others would be called "average" I guess you could say? At the same time though, I took a non verbal communication class in school and learned about how people of similar looks and stuff seem to attract one another. Just like one "unattractive" person automatically is seen somewhat more attractive when they are in a large group of highly "attractive" people. So basically, I think that in some way we all tend to go towards others based on appearance on some level, but I think a lot of the time it is done subconsciously.

hope that makes sense!

• Well when I started high school I swore that I wouldn't be friends with people who were subpar. I wanted to be popular. So when I started to become immersed more into the high school setting I learned that the people who were the "beautiful people" were the ones that I didn't want to be around. I guess that I thought that people who saw me with a not so good looking person wouldn't want to be my friend because they saw me with them. Its horrible but I have changed the way I think about it now, and what I did before was wrong, because you don't have to be externally beautiful. It is the people who are beautiful on the inside who have the biggest hearts of anyone I know.