Is it only British guys who wear ties to such events?

I'm British myself and it seems to me that it's only us guys that actually wear ties to things like weddings, funerals and even work. I have to wear a tie for work, it's part of my dress code, but even then I see lots of guys here in England who wear ties to work. I went to both a wedding and a funeral recently and there were people who came from Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland and and a few other countries. Although all the guys were in suits (blazer and trousers) none of them wore ties. I thought it was a bit informal, especially for a wedding.

Are ties overrated? Are the British over the top when it comes to events such as the above?

Most Helpful Guy

• haha BS... personally i always dress casually basically... yo!

• So you also don't wear ties?

• I actually don't see as many middle aged men wearing ties as guys in your age bracket

• OMFG then... o_O

What Girls Said 5

• I am an American woman. My brother and boyfriend wear ties all the time, but I think other nations in general are less formal than the British. Granted, we are not too many generations away from our English heritage and my mother raised us in a more British way, and we have always been a little odd growing up. Thankful for it.

• Nope.

haha I'd give you a long answer explaining how my boyfriend and a lot of our friends wear ties to certain events but I don't want to bore you with all that.

Nope you guys aren't the ones, and nope ties are not overrated.

• Ties are a thing of the past? But what do I know... I don't know

I've never noticed this

• No, people can wear ties to those events.

• no other guys around the world also wear ties.

What Guys Said 4

• No, ties are awesome! I like wearing ties. They can make or break a suit.

• grow up little boy...

ties are standard formal wear, duh..

• Little boy? How old do you think I am? I think you're the one who needs to grow up for making assumptions

• no, but i'd pay to see you in your current state..

though it's true, i'm breaching your social morals, but i don't need to care...

• Pay? Come on dude. I'd let you in for free. You're my special guest. I would welcome you. Even though you welcome nobody haha

• Was jams bond British?

• @suitandtie... Aslong as i get my suit and tie, tell me bout the good thing