Would you actively choose to not have your hair done by a professional hairstylist if she had visible tattoos and piercings?

I want to go back to school to be a hairstylist, but because I don't qualify for student funding, I'm asking my mother to help me finance my education. One thing she continues saying (I think to talk me out of pursuing beauty school since she doesn't really want me to go) is that I would never be able to work at a professional high end salon, and no high end clients would want me to work on them if I had visible tattoos and piercings. I don't currently have any visible tattoos, but I have a few visible piercings and (small) stretched ears, and I do want visible tattoos in the future. This leads me to why I ask the question...

Assuming she dressed and carried herself very professionally like the rest of the salon's staff, would you trust a professional hairstylist if they had visible tattoos and piercings? Would you actively avoid them? Would you simply not care either way?

And an extra question -- have you ever seen a professional hairstylist in a high end salon with visible tattoos and piercings?

Most Helpful Girl

• When it comes to me, the customer, I don't give a crap what you look like, you could have three eyeballs, just do my hair right. Prospective employers, on the other hand, may have a different opinion. I think the most important thing is professionalism if you want to get hired. It's possible to look professional with certain types of piercings and most tattoos can be hidden under clothing if your employer has a problem with it.

As for your extra question, I rarely get my hair professionally done and when I do it isn't at a high end salon, so can't really answer that. Plus I've had the same hairstylist for years.

What Guys Said 6

• There was a time I thought like your mom. But most creative people entering their fields have tats and piercings so it's rapidly becoming the norm.

Now if my nurse at the hospital had a big old biker babe tattoo I might be nervous.

• LOL... so wot if he/she had tattoos and piercings? wot it matters is if he was good in his./her job basically :-P

• It would not be a problem for me - Maybe in a old lady salon but in a trendy place the more unique the better.

• I don't care what my hairdresser or barber looks like. I care what he does with his hands, and I'd prefer it if that involves cutting my hair. Nothing more nothing less.

• I love tattoo's on women so no I wouldn't care but your employer might.

• At a real professional salon like in any big city, yes I would expect no VISIBLE tats and only earrings. Maybe a tiny nose stud.

Everyone likes to say "OH IF THEY ACT PROFESSIONAL WHO CARES" but the fact is people make judgments about you based on how you look as well, not just how you act. While it doesn't matter in your personal life, it definitely matters in the workplace. Someone might avoid you completely because of how you look, even if you're a good stylist.

What Girls Said 10

• my sister is a hair stylest and has tattoos and piercings. she works at an upper middle class salon... not too fancy but not supercuts. haha!
    SOME people might not like that look, but if you have a good hairdo, nice makeup and great personality i don't think most people will decline you...
    if its something you want to do, go for it! i'll let you do myhair!

• Nope... I don't see why I should.
    =)

I might go to her since I like a bit of an eccentric look and I'm sure she's have a bit more knowledge of some more interesting hairstyles than a boring person would. o. O
    Maybe I'm over-thinking this...

Mind you, you might not have as much of an older clientele as you'd like I guess. I know my mom (she's 51) doesn't trust people who don't look completely put together and 'normal' according to her.

• Of course I would! I do model jobs sometimes and therefore know a lot of very successful hairstylists and make-up artists and guess what, most of them have a tattoo or piercing somewhere and one of my close friends is even full of them and it never stopped his work from being great, 'surprisingly'.. ;D

• I really don't care about what people do with their own bodies.

• I've seen plenty of hairstylists with tattoos and piercings. Of course there's a line. A couple small tattoos are definitely okay. But remember there's plenty of space that clothes cover too. I wouldn't go any further than a nose and subtle lip piercing.. But I think your ears are all go for it, just don't stretch em bigger than a finger space... You don't wanna look like you're in a heavy metal band (which is badass btw) when you're actually a cosmetologist:)

Just my opinion.

• I wouldn't think you would be able to a better or worse job but I don't think you're allowed to show your tattoos at your workplace.

• No I'm not that close minded.

• No tattoos and piercings don't make me feel any different, as long as they're good at what they do. My sister has been a professional hairdresser for over 10 years and she has visible tattoos

• Ur mom is wrong everybody got tats

• I wouldn't care but that's just me