What are girls' and guys' opinions on tank tops for guys?

Like some of the surfer brands kind of tanks. I'm pretty ripped and I have big muscular arms (not trying to brag, but being honest about my body type) I see guys who don't have any muscle wear these shirts to show off to girls. I always went for the modest approach and wore shirts that didn't expose my body to everybody because if I did I would really attract a lot of attention. And I think if I ever wore them guys would think I'm trying to look big and tough and I know girls would be all over it. But girls do you like these? And guys do you hate it when guys do this and you see them as total douches?

Here's some examples so everyone can see what I'm talking about... link Don't wanna wear the basketball looking ones.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wear what you want. I love it when men wear tank tops who are athletically built. What are you worried about? You are just showing your arms for God's sake. It's not like you are walking around showing people your butt crack. Seems like American men are becoming more and more scared to show any skin at all. Even at the beach, you have evough fabric in your bathing suits to make shower curtains. You men need to give us women something to look at too. We do it for you all the time. We like a little eye candy also. Stop being so tentative.

• Hahaha yeah I guess we gotta show off a little bit more to you all. I just wanted to be modest about my body and not flaunt it everywhere. But I kinda like the sleeveless tees these companies are starting to make.

• I've never seen the bathing suit thing though here in California though. That sounds pretty weird.

What Girls Said 8

• Honestly I think it has everything to do with what you look like. Muscles are one thing but what does your hair and face look like. Tank tops are usually just trashy looking. If you look like a surfer and/or skater with long hair you may be able to pull it off. But if you have short cut hair you may end up looking like a southern thug. If you have a pretty face in this world you can get away with anything.

• it's not something I want my guy to constantly wear. summer time, sure. but not all the time. it's not something I particularly like. basketball ones ok somewhat...

• If you're a homesexual man that's fine, but personally, I thnk nothing could be mroe unnattractive on a guy except perhaps a mankini...or a thong. I like men who wear clothes that look like they;ve been designed for men, not women. xxxxxxxx

• I think you should wear them if you want.I wouldn't think a guy was a douchebag just because he wore a tanktop.It's all about the attitude you wear it with,if you have a douchbag-like attitude then I would think you were one,otherwise no.I was around a lot of guys who wore tank tops this summer and I didn't give a second thought to it.Wear what you want dude,you only have one life. =)

• I prefer nice fitting shirts than tank tops, it tends to give off a "douche" vibe... but if you have a great personality, people will see that. And nothing wrong with showing off your nice arms... :)

• yeah, unless it's for a hot sport, it would look conceited and dumb. girls can tell with short sleeves or long sleeves, we know a hot bod easily

• put a link to this type of tank. if it's actually hot weather, it's fine.

• I like wife beaters on guys.

• Hahah now that's a rarity these days.

What Guys Said 3

• Are you talking about wife-beaters?

If you have a good figure, there's other ways to pronouce it than showing off your arms.

• Hahahah well not wife beaters, but the shirt tanks that companies like Billabong and Quicksilver make like the surfer tanks.

• I'm just saying that if you have a good figure, there's other ways to show it off than taking the shirt off. Why is OP asking the internet whether he can wear a shirt anyway?

• I don't know I kinda wanted to wear one one day. Not now cause its getting cold, but wear one to cool off. I never wore one though cause I though I would attract too much attentiion and I wanted to be more modest.

• I find long sleeve semi tight (loose around the stomach, and tight on the chest) shirts get far more attention from the girls then tank tops.

Something like this link

• I wear them during summer when I work outside and sometimes when it's hot, I put in the work on my body and they look decent when you put in the work. it honestly kind of makes me mad when I see some greasy chubby dude wearing a wife beater around, nobody wants to see that