Crop top with short-shorts? Work shirt with short-shorts?

I'm 19 and trying to fix my self-esteem. A friend of mine recommended that i wear a bikini, because i should not feel ashamed of my body. I used to feel super insecure and would wear jeans (even in the summer!) and t-shirts all the time (even when getting together with a friend or a shopping-trip). For my birthday, my sister took me shopping at this new hip consignment store, and we picked out some short-shorts and crop-tops together, along with some other cute tops and accessories.
I'm wondering if this was a huge mistake? It's getting into summer now and crop-tops are in, but would i be revealing too much- especially by wearing slightly revealing shorts with them

The second question is because my mom told me i shouldn't wear shorts to my job; she thinks it looks unprofessional, and the shorts i chose are too revealing for work. It's super hot biking to work, and i've seen other coworkers wear shorts, although it's not like i was scrutinizing them because i don't know how "modest" the one i saw was compared to the one i'm thinking of wearing. Should i invest in some shorts that are a little more modest for work? How do i even know what's modest and what's not? And should what i wear to work be the same as what i wear with my friends or by myself?
I wanna embrace who i am, and i wanna dress cute. But i also don't wanna be a slut!

Most Helpful Girl

• Whether you can wear on your job, depends on the culture there. But what you wear in private is your own choice.

What Guys Said 3

• I think crop top is great with short shorts ;)

• Dress in a way that makes you happy... to hell with others.

• Crop tops, Hnnnggg

What Girls Said 10

• Shorts are very unprofessional if they are short. They should reach your finger tips if you are going to work... And I think that for the most part crop tops are just inappropriate especially if you are wearing short shorts with it. It sounds trashy not classy.

• A crop top with short shorts isn't a way to fix self-esteem. Depends on where you work but you can get appropriate legnth material shorts. I have more work oriented cotton, linen, and silk shorts for work more dressy and professional environments but you can't wear a crop top to work. You can wear a tank under the crop for a cute layered look. The only time it looks less trashy to wear shorts and a crop top is if the person is tall with a long torso.

• I wouldn't wear it to work, but in private you can wear whatever you want. I think crop tops are cute.

• Where do you work? Any place I've worked at retired pants or shorts of a modest length, but that would depend on where you work

• Just dress how you like! Who cares what people think?

• Crop top is great, I never wear short shorts tho. They look great, but I don't really like showing that much in public, I think. Anyway your second question, depends on your job. If it's an office job, then yeah I don't think short shorts is appropriate at all. So, it all depends on what job you are having.

• What type of job do you have? Clothing retail or administrative?

• I personally wouldn't wear a crop top with short shorts that's too releasing for me. Where do you work?

• I agree with the fact when you into formal meeting you have to wear formal wear, otherwise its you choice what to wear.

• Being a slut isn't defined by what you wear. Every time I hear this I want to smack my head into a wall.

"Slut is a term applied to an individual who is considered to have loose sexual morals"

Now explain how do shorts make you have loose sexual morals?