Concealer or Foundation?

My prom is coming up and I don't know anything about concealer or foundation. Please tell me what each is used for and which product is good for oily skin?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can always go to Sephora and they can do your makeup for you. But okay, you use a concealer depending on what you want to cover up. It works like the colour wheel and the faced colours are the matchs you want to do to cover up perfectly.

If you want to cover dark circles under your eyes, since they are purple-ish you use a yellow or skin tone concealer. If you want to cover up redness and blemishes use a green one, and for regular things you can use a skin colour concealer.

After you put the foundation (but use a primer first of all, since it will help smooth and even all the skin of your face). The foundation works to cover up everything and leaves the skin looking even.

Since you have oily skin, you must use a blot or pressed powder to make your skin matte.

There are a lot of makeup formulas that help and suit oily skin. I have it too and ance prone skin as well. It's better if you look up a foundation that's "Longwear" since it's kind of "waterproof" and will stay longer on your face without getting oily.

To find the perfect foundation to match your skin colour, try the colour in the bottle on your neck. Since that's your "real colour" and will match perfectly with the rest of your body. Or you can try it on the side of your face, near your ears and cheekbones.

Some good makeup brands M. A. C, Bobbi Brown, Nars, Benefit, Make Up Store, Makeup Forever, Clinique, L'Oreal (even when it's a drugstore makeup line, has one of the best foundations! It's called True Match, but sometimes makes your skin oilier, but depends on everyone!)

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 9

• Concealer is used for specific discolored spots. So things like underrate bags, zits, acne scars, all of those require concealer.
    Foundation evens out your overall skin tone. I
    I use both because my whole face sin even and my under eyes are so dark that I need that extra bit of coverage.
    I recommend putting of a liquid foundation because it evens tone the best, concealing in still visible spots and puttin in a matte powder foundation.
    The powder foundation will keep your skin matte (won't look skint) and you should carry it with you to reapply as you notice oily spots

• I recommend you not using it at all if you have a clear skin already.
    Foundation is used as a little layer to soften your skin and hide you imperfections a little. It's like the 'good skin' function on your camera. There are several foundations for the oily skin and it just covers dark circles under your eyes and redness for example a bit.
    Concealer is a bit heavier than foundation and you use it only on certain places on your face. Like pimples, extremely dark circles under your eyes, big redness. Just everything a foundation fails to cover up. Concealer is most of the time oily and can melt a bit of your skin if your skin is. oily already.

• Foundation is better.

• Foundation is just that -a foundation for the rest of your makeup. It is meant to match your skin tone and provide a good base. Concealer is also designed to match your skin tone and is for when you have flaws you feel the need to hide. If I have a blemish I want hidden, I dab concealer on it before applying foundation.

• Concealer is used for dark circles, pimples and any discolorations in general. It's applied to problematic spots, but not all over the face. Foundation is used all over the face just to even out the skin tone. Foundation can be used without concealer and concealer can be used without foundation. If you use both, then apply the concealer before the foundation.

• If you have a Merle Norman store there, I recommend it, you can try the make up before you use it and you can get foundation/powder in one and it's very light and natural looking.

• Concealer is used to cover facial blemishes and dark circles under the eyes.
    Foundation is used as a base to even out facial skin tone before applying other cosmetics.
    Most brands work well with oily skin.

• Both! I would use lotion first, then primer and liquid foundation. Put on powder foundation afterwards and lastly apply the concealer. I use Smashbox or Nars. Those are my faves!

• Don't use any. Natural is so much prettier anyways.