A model with down syndrome? What do you think about it?

Here's a picture of her. 😁

I recently came across this story and I thought it was amazing. 😁

"Madeline Stuart is an 18-year-old girl with Down syndrome, currently living in Brisbane, Australia. As an athlete who enjoys participating in activities like gymnastics and cheerleading, she's always loved the spotlight. So once Maddy began styling her own outfits, she begged her mom to play photographer before she headed out the door.

Needless to say, the result of those photo shoots is pretty flawless. Maddy can work floral-print dresses just as well as she can a quirky pair of leggings, and she totally knows just what bikini shade works best to complement her hair color.

But Maddy's not only concerned with showing off her own looks. The rising star — who's struggled with her weight and recently lost almost 50 pounds — wants to make sure that everyone, no matter their shape or size, gets the opportunity to model. "People with down syndrome can be sexy and beautiful and should be celebrated," her mother included in a press release."

I just want to know what you guys think about it. 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• The idea is beautiful. But it is not something that is a good idea or a realistic one.

I know this is going to get downvoted for me saying it, but equal opportunity is a great thing in theory, but the fact is, there are some jobs that are restrictive in nature. Being a model requires a very specific form of physical beauty, and as much as the idea of a world where anyone can be whatever they want, that is not the world we live in. You wouldn't hire someone who isn't qualified to do the job you pay them for, and the job description for a model is to be extremely attractive, tall, and can showcase a designers product.

I can appreciate the sentiment, and it's a good thing that she's trying to do something that makes her happy, but it is not something that I would call realistic.

No doubt, this bleeding heart story is going to get her a gig, but I simply do not believe that the personal feelings of any one person excepts them from the rules.

• Only runway models have the whole weight and height limit. She can still model for magazines and what not.

What Guys Said 12

• All the power to her.

• Awe that is heart touching i think she should follow her dreams
    no matter what and she's cute in her own special way and I'm
    sure she has a beautiful personality..

• Its seems inspiring but its not realistic I mean that's not how life should work if you can't fit a certain criteria you shouldn't be put into that category. I feel people are only supporting her because they feel bad for her disease I bet if she didn't have down syndrome she would have never gotten a model gig or at least this type of attention.

• everyone can b a model in my opinion... congrats to her then :)

• Think that's good. Everyones always praising the skinny white blonde, but ignore, or even downright disrespect, everyone else.

• Yeah it is a feel good story

• Well, I guess she is quite lucky to have got this opportunity.

• I am sorry, but I don't find down syndrome attractive

• i think nothing about it

• my boner is confused... but no, shouldn't be allowed.

• Her face looks all haywire.

• Awwwwwewe so nice of course they will be dick wads who oppose but screw them

What Girls Said 15

• It's okay... I just feel kinda bad seeing her. I feel bad for her. :/
    Since the average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50... (doesn't mean it's her IQ... but I'm trying to make a point here) it's like having a child of 7 or 8 on there... And she has physical characteristics of a woman - that's not just confusing for the people who watch her photos - in the modelling capacity, but also strange to say the least.

It's just too controversial maybe...
    But if it's her decision and if she's mature enough to handle it, why not...

• There are aways exceptions. Also, IQ isn't everything. What I understand from your comment is that you don't feel right about sexualizing her, but I think you're underestimating her.

• I congratulate her on loosing weight. My little sister has down syndrome and we constantly have to watch her eating habits. It's also extremely difficult to loose weight.
    I also congratulate her on being able to do so much. My sister can't even ride a bike or would be able to do anything like that.

• Well she's pretty.

• It's very sweet that she wants "everyone" to be able to become a model, but honestly I don't agree with that. Modeling is for the beautiful, and that's just the way it is. She can probably model for special campaigns, but it's never gonna the norm for people like her to be real models.

• She's lovely!

• I heart that there was a Finnish band with members suffering from down syndrome and they even won something?

www.independent.co.uk/.../...areness-10017489.html

Anyway, I think she looks beautiful, her legs and pale skin are attractive in my opinion :)

• How amazing and beautiful

• Wow she's adorable.

• Woah... she's beautiful.

• I think it's awesome!
    But a lot of comments I've seen about it on Facebook are people putting down actual models.
    can uplift one without bringing others down

• that's amazing! the confidence she has also is inspiring! :)

• Just gotta say the Down Sydrome person's body is nothing like they taught us in Science class.

• She's gorgeous, and I'm not saying that to be nice.

• She's adorable, I can't handle this right now.

• very happy people accept her as a model she s vey beautiful.