Why do American men wear a T shirt under their shirt?

I went to America for some work a couple of months ago and I noticed that nearly all of the men who wear smart shirts wear T shirts underneath. Why is this? To me it just looks unstylish and I dont understand why anyone would do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• most people do this... not only americans LOL

• I'm from the UK and I rarely notice it here. In America nearly everyone does

• LOL personally i wear t-shirts underneath if in case i wear a shirt

What Girls Said 2

• Maybe it's comfortable to some men.

• it's normal here.

What Guys Said 7

• It's considered polite-looking in some places, evidently.

It may also add opaqueness to the other shirt if the other shirt was translucent. No one wants to see man-nipples.

• I think it is to soak up perspiration.

• I wear deep vneck undershirts so you can't see them but they block any sweat, especially with nice button ups at work or something. Pit stains are super disgusting.

• Ostensibly it's to help wick perspiration away from the body and prevent sweat from showing, but it's kind of unconformable for me so I don't do it. I just use a good antiperspirant and it works for me.

• I do it to avoid sweat stains.

(I'm not American)

• I do it to soak up sweat most people ask why I do this.

• Shit quality shirts, don't want their nips showing! hahaa