Makeup. How much is too much?

A normal female thing is putting make-up on? I just want to know how much is too much? I like putting eye-liner and mascara on just for that defined look and it looks like I'm awake and a bit of foundation just cause it feels good and makes my skin look awake. But mainly because I love fashion. In a girls perspective when we see another girl wearing her make-up we credit how she put it on flawlessly but for a guy they would see it as too much powder or primer and think what would they look like without make up?

My b.f sends me mixed signals about when I wear make up that's why I'm asking? Like I look good in it and people credit and take me seriously for it like I actually look pretty presentable. But he constantly mocks the time and effort I put into my "me" time and why would I wear it if I don't go out also that I need it cause I'm ugly without. All his exact words too?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, I prefer the subtle look. More about removing imperfections etc less about adding stuff on.

But if fashion is your thing, it's cool so long as you don't over-do it (i.e. turning yourself orange).

You should keep some a secret, for those clubbing nights or fancy stuff like going to dinner :)

I can tell when a girl is wearing too much make-up and it makes me wonder why.

You girls try too hard to please us men, stop it lol.

And the deal with your 'b.f.'. What the hell? No guy should say his girl is.. You know..

Ugly. I can hardly say it now. It's not right at all.

You must feel pretty insecure with him :/

What Guys Said 6

• Wow hon, if any 'man' said that to you, I have no idea why you are still with him, let alone on here asking peoples opinions so you can please him better. Every persons opinion obviously will differ, but I prefer little to no makeup at all. A woman comfortable in her own skin is much more attractive to me than any caked on 'beauty' will ever be. A little to accent the beauty you have is more than enough.

• Oh my god I just re-read what I said. You are so right? why should I try please him and ask people for opions on pleasing him. I should just please myself cause I love fashion and make up just cause its art and feminine. But I do personally think I should ease up on the eyeliner lol. Thanks for you comment though it got me thinking to.

• You're welcome hon. We could probably all use improvement, some more than they would like to admit, but we should want to improve for ourself first and foremost.

• Well, you shouldn't be able to sign your name in it. :-)

Most guys don't like make-up if they want to make out. It's greasy. You make out until the make-up is gone. There's nothing better than a washed face. But the eye make-up should be OK.

Ted

• Make up is best when it is hard for a guy to tell that you have it.

Make up doesn't have the natural shine that skin does so any powders make you look worse.

Eyeliner&mascara is always ok and is even suggested, it attracts us to ur eyes, as long as it isn't a unnatural color(no purple, green, blue etc).

Eye shadow is never ok.

Lip gloss generally looks better than lip stick.

I HATE POWDERED FACES! It never ever ever looks good. It even has the added effect of making you look unconfident.

• I think colored eyeliner is fun, especially while you're younger.

• Basically, if you lose your makeup, and it takes me a few seconds to recognize you... that's too much makeup.

Eyeliners are hot though.

CSULBFRIEND

• I think little to no makeup is best. Not saying no makeup exactly, just very little. It's really gross to see a woman with thick makeup.

• Look healthy without looking painted. Use as much makeup as you're comfortable with, without looking unnatural. Less is more.

What Girls Said 9

• well that's a good thing. I do my own make up and I use the powdered mineral stuff so it's very subtle. as for eye shadoes-I usually would use clinique or lancome for that. you can get tutorials at Sephora. I booked another one I think in December and they show you how to contour or apply stuff. I love trying different make up. well you can always ask the advisor behind the desk about a product and hwo they can apply it. I usually go and get it done professionally for an occassion but yeah.

• I always wear eye-liner, mascara and a little concealer that you can't detect.

Big cakey foundations and powders tend to look false - if you have a skin problem, find some products to treat it with.

Lip gloss is more natural looking than lipstick and I think that blusher and eye-shadow should be reserved for special occasions.

• My industry is make-up. I'm a cosmetologist as well as a make-up artist, I went to one of the premier schools in New York. My take on make-up is do what you feel comfortable with, but do NOT DO NOT DO NOT overdo it. If you go big on the eyes, do barely anything else. For instance, I always do the smokey eye. Always. I love how it looks on me, it makes my eyes pop. Yeah, it looks like I have eye make-up on, of course. But for my face? Foundation, I countour my cheeks with a bronzer or darker foundation, slap on some clear lip gloss and go. There's a fine line between looking polished and looking like a clown. I think eyeliner by itself looks stupid, but that's just my opinion! Doesn't mean it's wrong! To someone else it could be the hottest thing they've seen. My point is, please yourself first. And if he's saying you're ugly and NEED make-up? Ditch his sorry ass. You don't need a little boy like that telling you what to do. For shame ;)

• i feel like its better to invest in a skin care product than a skin concealer. obviously its ok in moderation. (foundation, concealer etc.)

as far as others, I usually stick with mascara (unclumpy) and a slight smokey eye for day

and for night maybe a colored smokey eye (I have brown eyes so I do either purple, or brown or grays)

i rarely do lipgloss or anything else so..

• I think that when it's starts looking like it's the make up that you see and not the person underneath it

• SOUNDS LIKE You NEED URESELF A NEW BOYFRIEND

• A little makeup is okay, but when you look like a streetwalker, you put on too much.

• It really really bothers me when girls cake on makeup (i.e. primer, foundation, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, fake eyelashes).

There's this one girl who usually sits in front of my in my early morning environmental ethics class, and she's got every different type of makeup possible layered onto her face. I think its very very unattractive.

I'd go with tinted moisturizer and maybe some mascara/eyeliner.

• Just not too much eyeliner lol