Girls, I'm panicking about prom dress due to self harm scars, what do I do?

First of all please don't say to not cover them up and to love them, i would love to learn how to do that but that is just not an opinion for me at the moment.

Ok so I have my prom in literally 20 days and I still haven't got my prom dress. I am going to get one with a friend in a few days but i have a problem.
I have self harm scars all down my arm. They cover up well if i cake makeup on them, but the makeup is very visable and i don't want to do that whilst wearing a prom dress because you are still able to see them as they are risen and also makeup will go over my dress.

I can't really wear long sleeves as its at the end of June and will obviously be hot-atlthough it is in a venue and that venue could be air conditioned. I'm worried about getting funny looks but I think I would rather brave the heat and stares than have my scars on show.

Does anyone have an ideas what I could do to hide them?

11

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you considered lace sleeves? Or sheer fabric sleeves? Those are gorgeous and it won't be too hot. They'll cover your scars so that it won't be too noticeable, unless someone grabs your arms and decides to intently observe it. Which, I think won't happen. Just be careful not too wave your arms around too much. I hope you have fun, and not worry about it too much! In the end, you'll forget about it. Give us all an update, good luck! :)

What Girls Said 10

• odds re you'll never learn to love your self harm scars. thats not something to love. (speaking from personal experience only)
    maybe find a dress that covers them, dependdning on where they are exactly. or maybe get a shawl or something to have over you that can hide them.

• Buy yourself this 4.bp.blogspot.com/.../legs.jpg
    It's leg makeup, but I do not see no problem putting that on your arms either. Just make sure you wash/scrub/moisturise yourself before you apply that on.

• I find that when I tan my skin and keep it moisturized, I'm less self conscious about scars. They blend in better that way. The sun has healing properties for superficial cuts. Enjoy your dance!

• Honestly sweetie, proms are usually dark. And who cares if you have battle scars? Find a dress you love and wear it. I have scars all along my legs and I wore a short dress to prom and nobody cared. They were all too busy minding their own business and dancing. You'll be fine, and if someone says something to you. Simply walk away because you'll look beautiful!

• Get one with sleeves, or get a bolero or something like that.

• Have you thought of some sort of gloves? Silk perhaps, since it's a cooler fabric?

• Try tanning or hide them with make-up.

• Perhaps if you look up makeup techniques that more efficiently hide scars or tattoos etc. you might have some luck. Also by adding a few tasteful bracelets you should be able to draw any attention away from your scars. Although it is important to keep in mind that although they may seem horribly noticeable to you, it is likely very few, if any, other people would notice them even if they weren't covered. Hope that helps!

• try make up.