Why is it that some people have a fixation on designer stuff and others don't?

There's this girl I know who comes from a really poor family and is working at minimum wage and she is OBSESSED with designer merchandise and luxurious things. Now I'm not rich, I'm average but I don't have the same fixation. I've noticed that people who are either average or poor crave these things? Why is that? Is it a desire to feel like they can have the "goodlife"?

Most Helpful Girl

• Different upbringing, different values, different life-priorities, different goals.
    Some people consider them important for their image. They use expensive products as a status symbol, as an advertisement of themselves while others don't give a shit about those things. You can't expect everyone to be fixated on the same things.

What Guys Said 3

• It is a bit wanting what you can't have - If you come from a poorer background the achievement of saving up for expensive brand product probably feels quite good.

• because they wanna move up on the status level. or appear richer than they are. it's very common for Chinese guys I know to buy all brand name to a make up for the fact that they have an unattractive body ( beer belly hahah).

Or it could be they buy brand names cause they are think brand names make a girl more desirable/ boost physical appearance.

It's all to attract better, richer more successful friends/partners.

• Yeah but I think rich people can tell when it's just someone faking a social status with a designer handbag lol

• lol sure if they are wearing a 20 dollar outfit. and 10 dollar sandals from AE.

• No but it's the attitude as well

• I couldnt tell you.

What Girls Said 3

• She sees it as a status symbol that she's never been able to have. Maybe if she gets this ONE bag people won't notice her handme down jeans, shoes two seasons old, or threadbare shirt.

It's really important to not look poor to some people. If you don't look poor, you can't be judged for being poor.

• The silly thing is that designer stuff is often made in the same cheap Asian factories as the standard ones. They just put another label in it.

• people like different things.