Is it unhealthy to straighten your hair once a week?

I usually straighten my hair once a week and I was wondering if that can be damaging to my hair. I have naturally very curly hair & it tends to be big so when I use the hair straightener it looks really pretty and shiny :) I keep it that way for a few days and start the process over again. Have any of you damaged your hair by doing this? Thanks in advance :) Oh, and I have somewhat dry hair so I use extra conditioner when I straighten it so it doesn't get depleted of moisture

Most Helpful Girl

• I straighten my hair once a week because I have extremely curly hair and it sucks so I like it to look nice and pretty. Just make sure when you do straighten it that you put in heat protectant and if you really want to make sure your hair stays Healthy buy some good repair shampoo and conditioner at the drugstore. It really helps I've been doing this method for about 4 months and my hair has grown and improved so much!

• Haha thanks @JustinCaseUDontKnow

• LOL :) Yeah, it would have been so much easier if we'd been born with straight hair!! Lol :)

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with @Paulina528 that it doesn't hurt to straighten your hair

• hair is replaced every 70 days so wouldn`t matter

• It shouldn't hurt it as long as u use a heat protection for your hair

• heat is bad for your hair it causes split ends

• Frequent haircuts might solve that problem I hope, lol :) Thanks for answering :)

What Girls Said 7

• i dont hink so, as long as you use protector. i straighten my hair more often than once a week and as long as i use protector and get hair cuts regularly myhair is doing ok :)

• Thanks for answering :) Straightening my hair is a bit of a new thing for me so I wanted some opinions :)

• i think the less straightening the better... i have curly hair too and i straighten them like around thrice a year

• Obviously it does damage your hair since you're putting heat on it. However if you take care of your hair by for instance using hair masks every now and then, use a heat protectant every time you straighten your hair, use a hair serum and things like that, you might not even notice a difference. It also depends on your hair texture. Some people have finer hair and that type of hair gets damaged quite easy. I used to straighten my hair every second or third day, and that made my hair so dry and frizzy. I personally try to only use heat on special occasions, which works much better for me. Believe me, I know the feeling of wanting straight, shiny hair when your hair is just a curly mess.
    Good luck with your hair! ☺️

• Thanks for answering & giving suggestions :) Appreciate it

• Shouldn't do, it depends on the quality of your hair at present. You'd have more trouble if you did it 3 or 4 times a weak. You can get products that are good for heat damaged hair, but it doesn't sounds as if you need that :)

• Thank for answering!! :)

• *Thanks* I meant lol :)

• It probably is but not much, I blow dry and straighten my hair every day and it's not in bad condition. I'm lucky because I have naturally soft hair but also maybe try us ring heat protectant and deep conditioning once a week!

• I would not advice it... I only straighten my hair once a year. That alone scares me.

• Hopefully I can find a few products to maintain healthy hair :) Really don't like having curls in any form, lol

• It can be unhealthy because your hair gets in contact with the heat of the straightener. I am sure that you already know that heat is very damaging for your hair. I'd advise you to go heat-free and embrace the texture of your hair. However, if you want to keep doing it, at least use a hair-protection serum beforehand (preferably with argan, avocado or coconut oil in it).

• I'll look into hair protection serum for sure! :) I absolutely refuse to embrace my curly hair, lol :P

• Aahaha :) You wanna trade? :P

• YES! Sure!