When did piercings become so popular?

and what purpose does this serve>>>>>
When did piercings become so popular?

0|0
10|7

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone else stated it's pretty normal for people to have piercings it's not necessary popular. However I do find some piercings quite odd like the ones you have posted, but that could be a way for them to self express. I personally have an eyebrow piercing. haha :P :)

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• They're just body art, like tattoos. There are a lot of piercings I find really nice but the piercings in these photos are just horrible lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Wow. I've never seen hand piercings before until now.

They look cool on some people.
    That's why they are so popular.

0|0
    0|1
  • Those aren't nice but piercings have been popular for a long time and they just show expression and can look nice when done well

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Just no.

The best piercings are ear piercings. People need to stop being overly-creative.

1|0
    0|0
  • they do exist since a very long time ago

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea why people get those hand piercings, but piercings in general have been around for thousands of years. It wasn't really popular in the western world until the late 20th century.

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought piercings were normal, not necessarily popular, but I can dig a bit of self expression.

0|0
    0|0
  • that's disgusting... not trying to offend anyone but it looks like they can't even move their fingers... tbh, i have no idea when it became popular... its like the Chinese foot-bindings all over again (hurting yourself to fit in/look good)

0|0
    0|0
    • lol the foot binding was done by everyone, this isn"t , hopefully it never will be

• I don't like piercings they kinda look freakey looking to me

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• Damn, how crazy can people get with piercings?

0|0
    0|0
    • well people have already done their privates. this is the first time I've seen hands done though

• I like piercings

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like any kind of piercing except nose n ears on girls only, I am actually scared by these people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eww I don't like those

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they were at their peak in the 80s and early 90s when punk culture was at its highest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Piercings are so disgusting. Ears only. Everything else is trashy.

0|2
    1|0