Where are all the raspy-voiced female singers nowadays?

I personally much prefer the raspy-voiced vocals of singers such as Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Tyler, Doro Pesch, and Joan Jett (to name a few) over the clear, smooth *singing* vocals of most female vocalists. It makes the music seem edgier and gives it some attitude, as well as enhancing the emotional content. How come you don't see vocalists with this singing style anymore? Everything seems so cookie-cutter and bland now. Is it a temporary thing or was that type of attitude-driven singing style just a fad among female vocalists?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wish I knew, because I totally agree with you.

What Girls Said 4

• Alannis Morrisette has some raspy pangs occasionally and has smoe mildly interesting lyrics. Another Canadian, Diana Krall, is a jazz singer who describes her voice as 'scotch and gravel enhanced.' While she's a jazz singer, she's married to Elvis Costello so some of her orginal stuff is pretty cool. I always got a kick out of listening to Janis Joplin - it would have been amazing to hear her sing live! What about Anne and Nancy from Heart? They can wail with the best of them!

• Have you listened to Lita Ford? She's awesome.

The fade now seems to be the emulation of Brittany Spears. It's boring.

• Lita is pretty cool. I like her duet she did with Ozzy, If I Close My Eyes Forever, but her solo stuff didn't really impress me as much as stuff by the other singers I mentioned. I can't stand that one commercial hit she had, Kiss Me Deadly. But other stuff I've heard is okay.

• Sadly, I'd have to say that Miley Cyrus is one of the few raspy singers nowadays. HOWEVER, she should never be put into the same category as the women you stated. There's just no comparison. I think the style of music these days wants the women who can do vocal rollercoasters. Shame, because music back then was SO awesome.

Also, Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) has a record and duets out, and she's fairly raspy. Not too bad actually.

• I don't know whether to choke you for mentioning Miley in response to this question or drown myself in alcohol over the fact that it's actually true =(

• Would you say Pink has a raspy voice?

And everyone's favorite, Ashlee Simpson.

What Guys Said 3

• Alison Mosshart of the Kills. Courtney Love. They are out there.

• If you like raspy voice singers here are two foreign ones that are incredibly good.

First Mexican singer Ana Gabriel. Search Youtube for these songs:

Un Viejo Amor, Me Equivoque Contigo, Valentin de la Sierra

Then there is Italian singer Gianna Nannini and some of my favourites are:

Sei nell'anima, Fotoromanza, America, Io.

• This question makes me want raspberry ripple icecream... lol