The modeling industry is so rough on women?

The modeling industry is so horrible to women. Why would any women want to do this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Good money, my boyfriend is a model, free travel, photo shoots can be fun and creative. My summer job is hard labour in the sun, so I'd trade that to walk a runway in too-big shoes for 10x as much money any day! ... but I'm too short. With face stuff they are not as harsh just "drink lots of water, wear spf every day, and eat well". In my experience the Canadian modelling industry isn't too bad. Plus the industry is more about fit bodies than emaciated bodies now so when I went in they told me my weight was fine and just to work on defining my abs more so it's getting better. Runway can still be hell though, it might be a blessing that I'm too short for it!

• I don't know how you think that you will make money? Eat well? HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Really? From what I have seen while I was a salesmen, girls were being exploited from left to right. I just recently had a friend cry on my shoulder about it. She is only 21. Granted, I am only 24 but she is still young in general.

• well then her agency sucks and doesn't protect her properly. But mine is very reputable and even the girls who have been with them for years and years have never had any issues or have switched from other agencies to this one to get away fro that shit. I know that there are sketchy abusive agencies and I chose carefully, I rejected two before finding this one that both myself and my boyfriend are signed to. A photographer was slightly rude to me once and my agency asked if I'd like their help suing him and immediately removed him as one of their approved photographers.

What Girls Said 8

• Well right now their biggest mistreatment is towards underage girls. They often take 13 or 14 year old girls ship them to a country they know nothing about give them no money, no food, no chaperone, and then after the work or shows are over they don't pay them. They do this because they know these girls often don't have the leverage to speak up for themselves.
    And because so many girls he sucked in young they don't acquire other skills so this becomes their only source of income and are once again afraid to speak up.
    Also they seldom pay the models like they promised and instead give them the clothes try wore in the show. But it's only a rack item so it has rips and tears so it wouldn't actually sell for much.
    Also we all know the whole thing about eating disorders and such.
    It's also really hat for the models because there's a lot of difficulty in formulating a union because there's no set place you all work.

• I don't know why people want to be models other then the high pay check a tiny fraction of them get for a short 1-3 years of their life before they are "too old" for the industry.

• The money - the vanity, the free clothing and makeup?

• I've never understood why modeling is so idolized and glamorized. It seems like such an overly competitive environment with ridiculous expectations.

• 'Cause of the attention and amusement people provide..

• They do not realize how rough it can be. They think it's a glamorous lifestyle.

• I'm not a model personally, but my best friend is. She likes the attention and the whole process it takes.

• Because models are considered beautiful and most women, if not all, want to feel beautiful.

What Guys Said 2