Girls, can I wear a wetsuit instead of bikini for a day on the beach?

Going for a beach day with some friends, just hanging out, and I get sunburned so bad, can I wear my new wetsuit or would that be weird? Here's a pic of it!

11

Most Helpful Girl

• I had a wetsuit and when I was just in the sun (without going in water) it made me feel really hot lol. When I'm sunburnt I still wear my bikini I just load up on sunblock and wear an oversized t-shirt (my shoulders usually always burn). If you have a beach umbrella you should bring it, or just bring an extra towel to keep it over your legs if the sun gets too hot.

• Thanks for your comment!!

So did you get used to wearing the wetsuit or was it too hot? Is it something I can wear to hang out on the beach with my friends? I ask because I get burned so easily it's crazy, I think I have a skin condition or something lol

• I got hot and sweaty and sticky, but it was also humid out and I always feel really gross in humidity lol. I burn easily too, I have to use sunblock over and over again because I still get burnt if I don't reapply it lol

What Girls Said 10

• Wet suits are designed for wear in the water to preserve your body heat and such and so aren't really designed for all day wear sitting out under the hot sun. You'll get uncomfortable and sweaty in there after a while and I can't imagine you'll be having much fun. Instead opt for a a cute long sleeve sundress that can drape over your swimsuit underneath and cuter and much more light weight and breathable long sleeve tops designed for people like yourself who do tend to char in the sun. Also stay under that umbrella and slather... absolutely slather on that high powered sunscreen.

• That would not be weird at all! Here in California, a lot of people wear wet suits, so to me, that is not weird. Just do it #nike

• Thanks!!! I really do have sensitive skin so this will help a lot with the sun. My only concern is if it will get too hot, but I guess I could just go for a dip right? :)

• Yeah, totally, just go in the water if you get too hot. I'm sure you will be fine :)

• I burn like a ginger but I wouldn't wear a wet suit... that would be odd. I just load up on sunscreen regularly.

• haha I burn sooo badly, even with sunscreen I get red... I think I have extra sensitive skin or something... I thought this might be a fun alternative to not even going...

• Well do what makes you comfortable.

• I dunno, might be odd if everyone's wearing a bikini/swimsuit and you're wearing a wetsuit...
    But hey, your own choice, so go for it

• I think you should wear 50+ sunscreen, shorts and a tank top. Stay away from the water and stay under an umbrella. the wetsuit will look bizarre unless you're gonna be doing water sports :D

• thanks for your reply!! I don't think I'll do much water sports, I mean maybe throw a frisbee in the water lol... but mostly just hanging out on the beach with my friends. Sunscreen honestly doesn't protect me perfectly, I still get red and itchy, I think I have a skin condition or something...

• Maybe, I've tried a bunch. You won't believe this, but if I wear a t-shirt, I get sunburned *through* the shirt!!! That's why I'm thinking this suit because it's pretty thick... so you really think it will look bizarre?

• no i mean if you're having this huge problem, I guess it's ok to wear the wetsuit. It's not like you're gonna wear it for a night out or to go shopping :D you'll be near the water so it's fine. I'm sure your friends will understand too when you explain your situation to them. But I really think you might be allergic to sunlight or something, you should go to a dermatologist and get tested to see what's up.

• It's weird unless you are going surfing or something like that. Unless the water is really cold and it's normal where you are to do it.

• Yeah there is no surfing on the beach where I am lol... the water is a little cold but not really, i'm mostly just hanging out on the beach

• Well it would look odd if no one else does it, but it's a cute wetsuit by the way.

• It might get a little hot as the day heats up.

As for weird-looking, it wouldn't if you had a surfboard with you.

• Honestly it looks kind of weird

• thanks for your honest opinion, i burn soooo easily that I thought this might be ok as an alternative and still be able to hang out on the beach with my friends...

• How about you use sunscreen 50+ that should do something

• Think your best bet is to go with a bikini unless one the water is cold to your going surfing other than that bikini sunscreen and umbrella is the way to go

• I think it's weir if you're not gonna surf or anything, just wear sunscreen