How do you feel about dreads, Specifically on Caucasian women?

I'm 20, Naturally Brunette & blonde highlights, light blue eyes, freckles
For years I've always loved dreads and the earthy down to roots vibe like Anna April but because of where i live people tell me not to get dreads bc im white... tbh i think dreads look amazing on every race and hair really has no boundries no matter what race you are. Im debating if i should get them or not i did tempoary ones and i loved them i just dont want to offend anyone in any way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Why do you care?

People who claim locks are a Jamaican thing are severely uncultured and historically illiterate since A) locks are naturally occurring function of hair and B) Even during the Roman era there were documented cases of Indians and Germanic tribes (both groups who aren't black) who wore locks.

Anyone who gets offended should be more offended at their own ignorance and should pick up a fucking book.

What Guys Said 11

• All I'll say is every white girl I've ever seen do it could not pull it off. And I've seen a lot of different girls try.

• I always thought white dreads were sexy

• I do not like dreads. My personal preferences enables me to despise them on Caucasian women.

But that's your preference, whatever floats your boat ;)

• I don't like dreads, no matter what race.

• Tbh, I think that dreads look terrible on men and women of any race

• Its not a good combo in my opinion

• I don't like them.

• Very weird. That's usually typically for black people.

• Ewwww no 😖
    I don't like them on any race

• looks dirty and nasty

• They look dirty. Girls look better when soft and feminine

What Girls Said 11

• I always thought dread looked gorgeous on white hippy or goth looking chicks. You have to know how to work it though, I see a lot of weirdos who just look frumpy and take it too far like "I only wash in the creek and use picked flowers as shampoo" like no.

• lol definitely wouldn't take it to that extent. I've done a lot of research though and you aren't really supposed to wash them often because the moisture will cause bacteria and all that stuff but as long as I don't use a bunch of products like sprays there shouldn't be any foul odors

• Right, and make sure you're ready for taking care of them if you do decide to get them. Maybe try just one or two dreds underneath your hair so they just poke out sometimes.
      Look up pictures and videos of girls who have done it and see how they take care of them

• I concur with @throwit
      Unless you're a big time goth / hippy, forget it.

• I think of it as cultural appropriation. If you research it, most white women do not have the hair type or texture to be able to pull it off.

• Cultural appropriation? Its just matted hair, for christ's sake.

• You should do it.
    Kempt dreads can look hot on almost anyone.

• I like them to a certain extent. One girl i know has them and they looking amazing because she takes care of them and fixes them regularly.

• Horrible. With your hair texture your hair is just gonna rot and look dirty cause it's not gonna lock properly.

• Just go for it.

• I always think it looks kind of weird on blondes. I've seen some that it looks good on but I've seen more that have looked weird. I guess it really depends on your face.

• I've seen lots of white people with dreads lol. Mostly hippies. It can look pretty cool. The only thing about dreads are that they're totally different kind of style and you can't get them out when you want to change your hair again.

• I think it looks dumb.

• I think they look good.

• I hate dreads. also when you take them out its a lot of hair you're loosing